What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I think everyone is getting a little too negative on one deal without seeing the follow-up. There are definitely a number of deals out there that I'm confident we could make that allow us more flexibility and the chance to pick up interesting pieces and assets. Here's one I put together:

I'd ask for three second rounders in this deal. It would help us restock the cupboards and we could use those second rounders to help avoid the tax in the future. We get back an interesting young prospect as well as someone who knows the system and won't need much time to get acclimated. This gives us tons of flexibility moving forward and a lot of money that we could then spend on getting multiple overpriced, mid-tier guys.

I have $5 for the first person to post the inevitable TJ tweet about how they didn't find any more deals out there that would improve the team and now they're going to be aggressively scanning the buyout market.

I have $5 for the first person to post the inevitable TJ tweet about how they didn't find any more deals out there that would improve the team and now they're going to be aggressively scanning the buyout market.
This is Ainge in charge now not that loser DL

NAW averages 12.8 ppg - THIS SEASON.

That's not something that Joe Ingles + Elijah Hughes were doing. I think this is a much better trade than many seem to think it is.

This is Ainge in charge now not that loser DL
What are you, like 5 years old?
12.8 points on 37% shooting and 31% from 3 is not the achievement you think it is.

Per Andy Larsen, he has the lowest eFG% of anyone in the entire league of anyone who’s shot enough volume to qualify.
Just looking at his stats and the team he’s on, he’s slumping. Those aren’t his normal stats, I just think he needs a change of scenery. He’s going to a very good team, things could get easier for him if he’s even in the rotation at all that is.

Heard Detroit wants 2 firsts for Grant
Sacramento can give it. What do they have to lose really? They have a number of extra 2nd rounders.

This sucks for us though if they keep Barnes AND take Grant. Doesn't really leave us with many franchise shifting moves to make.

12.8 points on 37% shooting and 31% from 3 is not the achievement you think it is.
To be fair, no guard is shooting well on Pelicans. Only 2 guys are over %40, slightly, and they aren't a big part of the rotation.

NAW gives the Jazz some length and athleticism on the perimeter. Jazz need to work with him on his shooting, but he has some ability to get downhill. He can play at the 2 or the 3, as he's not really a natural 1. I think of him as a project.

The Jazz got something for Ingles' expiring. Now let's see if the Jazz move Clarkson, either Gay or Royce, plus a FRP for a more significant player.

Now that Barnes and probably Grant are out of reach, I want John Collins. He's the type guy who could invigorate us down the stretch. Plays with passion. Plays hard.

Clarkson, Gay, Hernangomez's expiring and maybe even Bojan should be considered.

NAW and Collins could give us some much needed youth, athleticism and potential to move forward with.

NAW is probably a better player than Hughes, and the seconds we are moving are late enough where we could just use the tax savings we are creating and buy back into the ends of those second rounds if we want.

Ingles will likely play in a Jazz uniform again if he plays at all.

I feel like we got good value and didn’t really give anything up of value, but also didn’t really do anything of note to fix our known issues.

If there isn’t another move to be made, this move feels like more of an admission that this build ain’t it. Which I think is realistic (personally).