What's new

Trade deadline: Dismiss Rubio, bring in a back court.

Lakers_Slapper

When the Jazz acquired Rubio, he had a career average of 9 assists per game. That's right! Per game! He obviously isn't the same player and is not capable of doing that now. He is currently averaging 4.8 assists per game. That is a disgrace when your main job is to distribute the basketball. He needs to go. While on the court the Jazz are ranked 26th in the league for offensive production, when off the court we are ranked 12th in the league. Math doesn't lie. Rubio needs go and we need a much better back court brought in. Do we go after Kemba, or is there another option that is valid with this current opportunity pre-deadline?

When the Jazz acquired Rubio, he had a career average of 9 assists per game. That's right! Per game! He obviously isn't the same player and is not capable of doing that now. He is currently averaging 4.8 assists per game. That is a disgrace when your main job is to distribute the basketball. He needs to go. While on the court the Jazz are ranked 26th in the league for offensive production, when off the court we are ranked 12th in the league. Math doesn't lie. Rubio needs go and we need a much better back court brought in. Do we go after Kemba, or is there another option that is valid with this current opportunity pre-deadline?

We dont play a style that results in high individual assist numbers. As much as I dislike Rubio, that has nothing to do with him.

He doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as he did in Minnesota. That's why his assist numbers are down. You also have to remember that he's only been on the team for half of a season and during that time we have been bombarded by injuries. He hasn't had the necessary time yet to find where he fits in. The roster is in flux right now. There are certain players that need to go in order to improve our future outlook. Rubio is NOT one of them. I get the feeling that after he spends more time on the court with teammates and some deadline deals are made to fix the problems with our lineups we will see much better play from Rubio.

He has the ball in his hands too much, if you ask me. I hate it when I see him dribbling around and everyone standing there watching him. Unfortunately, he's not Steve Nash.

He doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as he did in Minnesota. That's why his assist numbers are down. You also have to remember that he's only been on the team for half of a season and during that time we have been bombarded by injuries. He hasn't had the necessary time yet to find where he fits in. The roster is in flux right now. There are certain players that need to go in order to improve our future outlook. Rubio is NOT one of them. I get the feeling that after he spends more time on the court with teammates and some deadline deals are made to fix the problems with our lineups we will see much better play from Rubio.
I disagree. Rubio is the main piece that needs to go. His shooting is a huge problem in our offense. That's why when he actually hits shots we win. We need a PG that can shoot to run this offense. He should not be playing at all. We are better off without him on the floor, he should be eating pine.

He was never acquired for his shooting in the first place. I think the FO was well aware of that.
I believe he was acquired to appease a player that left anyway. Rubio/Gobert will never work against good teams.

I also don't think they thought he'd turn the ball over this much or be this bad defensively.

I believe he was acquired to appease a player that left anyway. Rubio/Gobert will never work against good teams.

I also don't think they thought he'd turn the ball over this much or be this bad defensively.

It sounds like you've seen enough of him, which is fine. I believe that by the end of the season the talk about Rubio will be different. He's not turning the ball over nearly as much lately.
And I definitely don't get your statement about his D, he gets banged up left and right for always trying to stay in front of his man.

I feel bad for Rubio. He would have looked so much better with Hayward. In addition, everybody knew the Jazz were going to be possibly the worst offensive team in the NBA. They designed the roster that way. But now a lot of fans blame Rubio for something that falls almost entirely on DL's shoulders. And to top it all of, Snyder has never been a very good offensive coach, relying too much on isolation ball and pointless perimeter passing.

Is anyone able to look at the stats to determine how much of an effect Rubio is having on us leading the league (or being close to it) in open shots? It seems we always pass the ball around and pass up good shots and the play ends in an open Rubio jumper.

Rubio has been fine during the last few games. As long as he isn't turning the ball over all the time or shot hunting he is okay. If the opportunity came to dump him for expirings you do it all damn day... but I wouldn't give up anything just to dump him. I would consider moving him for less salary next year... so like a Rubio for Dudley deal would give us a functional rotation player and cut $5m from next year's books. I'd ask for one of their high second round picks as well.

I'm confused. Are we tanking or what?

We dont play a style that results in high individual assist numbers. As much as I dislike Rubio, that has nothing to do with him.

I wouldn't say that "it has NOTHING to do with him". I think that the lack of respect he demands for shooting kills our spacing. I would also say that he has made some of the worst NBA passes that I have ever seen a Jazz player make. There was a lob to Favors from about 6 feet away that went almost 15 feet out of bounds and had an arch no one could ever catch. He was at about the top of the key and tossed it over Favors into the third row. It looked like an alleyoop pass, except Favors had his back to the basket and was 8 feet away from the hoop. That pass destroyed something inside of me.

We gave the TWolves Rubio too much credit for helping their offense flow. We filled the roster with players who don't have respect on the offensive end. That was all a crazy expirement that blew up in our faces. But Rubio has PLENTY to do with our current situation.

The best case I have heard for keeping him around came from Donovan Mitchell when he pointed to Rubio and gave him credit for his transition into the league and development as a primary ball handler and clever passer. Rubio surely has Spidaenvy regarding his offensive capability.

Rubio is going to be hard to move, he’s an asset that isn’t worth much.

If you go after Kemba, take on Marvin Williams bad contract and make that deal Locke made a good point on his podcast today that well that’s your team going forward because if you do that deal Kemba will want max money and that combined with Williams bad contract gives you basically no room to sign anyone or make meaningful changes going forward. Is that trade really worth it? Kemba is ball dominant, personally I want the ball in Donovan’s hands as much as possible. He’s the focal point going forward with Rudy. I hate the thought of the Kemba trade because moving forward it puts you in a bad bind for the future and it doesn’t get you where you want to be and sticks you in the mud.

It’s also pretty obvious Donovan likes Rubio a lot, has learned from him, has defended him and has complimented him several times this season. I realize Donovan isn’t the one who should be making these types of decisions but maybe Rubio is giving us more in the locker room and Donovan than we realize and the big package of nothing we will get for him as a trade asset isn’t worth trading him. I remember when Ronnie Brewer got traded D-Will was not a happy camper. You can’t walk on eggshells in making moves especially with a rookie but Rubios last 3 games have been decent and his off the court value may be more than we realize.

Is anyone able to look at the stats to determine how much of an effect Rubio is having on us leading the league (or being close to it) in open shots? It seems we always pass the ball around and pass up good shots and the play ends in an open Rubio jumper.
Yep, all those open shots because everybody knows he can't make it.