What's new

Trade Gobert

Et tu Brute

I am wondering if the added defensive prowess of Gobert is worth more to the Jazz than a #1 scoring option?
I have been pondering this since Hayward left.

Favors is a better center than PF in the evolved game. How productive could he be if he was the full time center? Would his potential as an offensive player balance out his reduced defensive impact? (But he is clearly a plus defender).

What trade could make sense?
I am not a trade expert - so this may be all wrong. But I am working under the assumption that without draft picks involved salaries need to match (generally).

Celtics send:
Tatum ($5.6 million)
Baynes ($4.3 million)
Larkin ($1.5 million) (I doubt they would throw in Rozier?) - Jazz waive
Morris ($5 million)
Celtics send some cash.

Jazz send:
Gobert
Neto
O'Neal

The point of this for Jazz is, Tatum is perhaps the best chance of a #1 scoring option with some size from the last couple of drafts (outside of Simmons). He could be a great offensive player in the league. This could make the Jazz a better team in the future - and could give the Celtics a real opportunity for a chip in the next couple of years.

Celtics (2018):
Hayward
Horford
Gobert
Brown
Irving

Is a friggin awesome starting unit!

Jazz
Tatum/Ingles
Morris/Ingles
Favors/Baynes
Mitchell/Hood
Rubio/Exum

More moves to be made in the future - including Hood.

I would consider it.
Scoring studs with size are probably worth more than limited offensive players who are defensive beasts.

Also, getting rid of Gobert means you can tank properly. Tatum won't be as impactful this year - so it helps improve the pick this year.

Of course if you think Gobert is a non-negotiable, this thread will get negged into the stone age.

Last edited:
Quite possibly the most stupid thing I've read in a long time.. Why on earth would Celtics blow up their team when they are outright winning, even with injuries to core players.. Also..are you trying to just hand over the Jazz best player for next to nothing ?

Too many people playing NBA2k to used to stupid computer trades that don't take into account team make up or chemistry..

Quite possibly the most stupid thing I've read in a long time.. Why on earth would Celtics blow up their team when they are outright winning, even with injuries to core players..

Interesting take actually.

I wondered if this would be considered blowing up their team?
Tatum and Morris constitutes blowing up their team???

Do you think they can win with Baynes as their defensive big or do you think Theis will grow into a stud?

Interesting take actually.

I wondered if this would be considered blowing up their team?
Tatum and Morris constitutes blowing up their team???

Do you think they can win with Baynes as their defensive big or do you think Theis will grow into a stud?

Because if you are the celtics, if another of their players goes down with injuries next year..and what do u do then ?

What happens with Al Horford ?..etc etc..It's just a chain reaction that breaks their balance that they have.. This trade is just stupid.

Because if you are the celtics, if another of their players goes down with injuries next year..and what do u do then ?

What happens with Al Horford ?..etc etc..It's just a chain reaction that breaks their balance that they have.. This trade is just stupid.

So you think they can win it all as currently constituted?
Doubtful. Irving with Gobert would be insane. Gobert would have 200+ lob dunks off of Kyrie.
Think of how much space Gobert would have to operate in!

But I like how you think the trade is bad for them and not the Jazz.
Tatum is just another Mitchell atm. Hasn't done anything. All about potential.

Last edited:
Also..are you trying to just hand over the Jazz best player for next to nothing ?

I'm saying that this is a dumb trade especially for the Jazz.. But Celtics would also break their team dynamic by doing this..and possibly some of their future potential..I think Gobert is a bad fit for them and how they play.

Quite possibly the most stupid thing I've read in a long time.. Why on earth would Celtics blow up their team when they are outright winning, even with injuries to core players.. Also..are you trying to just hand over the Jazz best player for next to nothing ?

Too many people playing NBA2k to used to stupid computer trades that don't take into account team make up or chemistry..

Dude you have me wrong.
Never played video games since I was a kid. I'm now 38. I don't do video games - not that there is anything wrong with that..........

Celtics are nice - but they are not going to win it all. They know that.

I'm saying that this is a dumb trade especially for the Jazz.. But Celtics would also break their team dynamic by doing this..and possibly some of their future potential..I think Gobert is a bad fit for them and how they play.

You added this bit after. You edited your original comment.

No. Build around Gobert

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

But you can't get anything with the other assets.

Is it wise to build around a player that has such offensive limitations.

Draymond Green is equally as effective defensively and far more effective and versatile offensively. Would you build around him?

But you can't get anything with the other assets.

Is it wise to build around a player that has such offensive limitations.

We have 2 expiring contracts that are above $10 million. Hardly any team in the league has 1 if any. We need another promising player to put long term with Gobert, Mitchell and Exum (I put him in the 3 because I have more faith in him than Hood).

The Lakers have to be the target. In the next month, we need to hope they and OKC stay terrible. In late December, we need to do one of these two trades:

Favors, JoeJ, and Udoh or Jerekbo
for
Deng, Clarkson and Ingram

OR

Favors, JoeJ and Udoh or Jerekbo
for
Deng, Clarkson and Kuzma

If the Lakers and OKC look terrible while Cleveland looks just okay, the summer 2018 chatter will begin in December 2017. People are already talking about how the Lakers need to move Deng and might let Randle walk. The Lakers will expect to get George and hope like hell to get another star too. They cant get George at max without trading Deng or Clarkson. They cant get George and another max without trading Deng AND Clarkson.

Our chances of getting an Ingram or Kuzma through the draft are very unlikely with our draft history. Plus, I don't want to tank. This trade makes us better now with the hopes of becoming a contender in the future with:

Exum, Mitchell, Ingram, Gobert OR Exum, Mitchell, Kuzma, Gobert
plus 6th man Clarkson, our draft picks. Hell, maybe even Hood too if he wakes up...

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
You cant be a good team if your highest scorer is Rubio , and noone in the team 15+ ppg.
We need a pure scorer near Mitchell and Gobert. I dont know how Exum will be, and Ingles can be a bench player on a good team, we need either a copy Kuzma or copy Tatum. Tank this year

I'm beginning to think that Gobert is not a piece you can build around. He's a great defensive player but his offense is easily eliminated with little effort. If the team is going to build around Gobert then the other 4 pieces on the floor with him need to be capable shooter. And Rubio, Hood, Favors, Mitchell, Burks and Ingles are decent but way too streaky shooters that need space to shoot. Because Gobert is really only good offensively on lob passes he doesn't force teams to guard him off of the ball at all. Which means all of those shooters are going to really struggle to get space because their defenders never have to double and can just switch on defense. Literally any player on the floor can guard Gobert, he has no back to the basket game and to defend him you just stay between him and the basket.

There's six or seven different trades to make before this is a discussion worth having.

I'm beginning to think that Gobert is not a piece you can build around. He's a great defensive player but his offense is easily eliminated with little effort. If the team is going to build around Gobert then the other 4 pieces on the floor with him need to be capable shooter. And Rubio, Hood, Favors, Mitchell, Burks and Ingles are decent but way too streaky shooters that need space to shoot. Because Gobert is really only good offensively on lob passes he doesn't force teams to guard him off of the ball at all. Which means all of those shooters are going to really struggle to get space because their defenders never have to double and can just switch on defense. Literally any player on the floor can guard Gobert, he has no back to the basket game and to defend him you just stay between him and the basket.

This is one of the most nonsensical takes I've seen about gobert. He doesn't create open shots for guys? Are you kidding me? That's like his main offensive positive. Every time he rolls to the rim the whole defense sags in to try to stop it and that creates shots for others. The problem this season is that they don't really have to guard Rubio and Favors isn't stretching the floor enough to really make teams pay. Obviously a team with Rudy is ideally constructed with 4 other shooters. But that isn't a knock on Rudy, that's just taking advantage of what he brings to the table.