What's new

Trade ideas

sip

2024 Prediction Contest Winner
It seemed like last year we had a trade ideas thread stickied to top of the board.

With all the talk about when we want our future picked owed to the thunder to convey it got me thinking about how good of a trade partner they are for us. Lets say we got off to a rough start for the first 20 games and decide to focus on a youth movement while at the same time the thunder get off to a great start could be a small tweak away from being a contender in the west.

Clarkson, Olynyk for Bertans, Porter Jr contract, Utah future 1st and Tre Mann.

For the thunder I think this deal makes them the favorite in the west. They have a great a starting lineup but lack an instant offense scorer off the bench and a solid big. For the jazz we clear out minutes for our young guys and gain back our 1st rd pick. We also get a guy in Tre Mann that has some potential. Would you guys do this deal to get back our pick or would you want more? For the thunder I think it would be an easy yes.

Clarkson is untradable until January 7th.

I want a trade that reduces the amount of guards we have. Send out one for a bag of chips... dont even really care who of the 3 goes (THT, Dunn, Sexton).

I think trying to play all we got right now is the biggest reason for our roster imbalances and weird schemes. The current 10 man rotation with only 4 frontcourt players is dumb.

Clarkson is untradable until January 7th.

I want a trade that reduces the amount of guards we have. Send out one for a bag of chips... dont even really care who of the 3 goes (THT, Dunn, Sexton).

I think trying to play all we got right now is the biggest reason for our roster imbalances and weird schemes. The current 10 man rotation with only 4 frontcourt players is dumb.

I figured that 20 games would get us close to when Clarkson could be traded but he can't until the 35th game. Either way I think this trade makes sense around that time as well. Maybe even more sense if we are struggling and the thunder are playing well but really need to add depth.

THT is untradable. This is what happens when you trade an expiring contract for someone still owed $10M the following year.
We can pretty much guarantee that THT and Sexton will go on a hot streak at some point in the near future and will certainly have some trade interest. Unfortunately teams rarely make the smart move and trade a guy when they are playing well. They never seem to have the balls to do it.

We can pretty much guarantee that THT and Sexton will go on a hot streak at some point in the near future and will certainly have some trade interest. Unfortunately teams rarely make the smart move and trade a guy when they are playing well. They never seem to have the balls to do it.
THT's (microscopic) trade value is pretty much set in stone and a few hot/cold games won't move it one way or another. He's not a difference maker or starter material and the league knows it very well. He's an irrational confidence guy (one of many on this roster) and teams don't exactly go out of their way to find those dudes.

Most likely he'll be part of some pu pu platter package.

THT is untradable. This is what happens when you trade an expiring contract for someone still owed $10M the following year.
He’s tradeable just not for anything good. Essentially tradeable for expiring salary on a worse or different player. Most likely moved with another player and it’s more about salary than anything. Once he was a down payment… now he’s a filler payment.

He’s tradeable just not for anything good. Essentially tradeable for expiring salary on a worse or different player. Most likely moved with another player and it’s more about salary than anything. Once he was a down payment… now he’s a filler payment.

What do you mean brother we’re extending him for 4/80M I thought?

I think THT will start to find some consistency over the next few weeks as long as Hardy is willing to stick with him for a little bit longer.

Jazz are probably on the lookout for a disgruntled star player on a team that wants to hit the reset button. Relevant teams could include Chicago, depending on how their season is going. They reportedly want a boatload for Zach Lavine. The other obvious one is Dallas, but I don't think the Mavs are going to trade Luka.

Thing is, the Jazz really need more of a foundation in place before trading for a franchise-defining star player. Lauri + Keyonte + Kessler + Collins isn't quite enough, so I question the timing of making a big trade. If the Jazz can bring in a top-10 pick who really hits, then trading for a star could give the Jazz their missing piece. That might also make sense from a cap-management perspective.

Last edited:
Watching OKC and they could definitely use Clarkson. Their off the bench scoring guard is Isaiah Joe and Clarkson would be a significant upgrade there. With Chet and Cason being ready to contribute earlier than what might have been expected, they really should look at cashing in some of those assets to improve their team this year.

I think THT will start to find some consistency over the next few weeks as long as Hardy is willing to stick with him for a little bit longer.
I'm not so sure. Despite his age this is THT's 5th year in the league. At some point you just are what you are. If the Jazz are going to live with a bunch of mistakes I'd much rather they just give the job to Keyonte who realistically has the much higher ceiling.

I'd also be looking to deal Clarkson in January to a team that needs a flamethrower off their bench. As much as we all love him the Clarkson experience is just too erratic in the starting lineup, not to mention his timeline just doesn't match the younger guys on the roster. We're all worried about putting a team around Markkanen in his prime and Clarkson is 5 years older than Lauri.

Last edited:
I don't care if we can't trade THT or Olynyk. We all know they just gonna leave in FA the next summer anyways. So why not keep them on the bench and run with our young guys who will be here beyond this season.

Last thing you want is a repeat of Marvin/Devin Harris/Big Al. Ride the so-called "veterans" so we can remain competitive for the 12th seed in the west and watch our assets(expiring contracts/trade pieces/young players) depreciate over time.

I don't care if we can't trade THT or Olynyk. We all know they just gonna leave in FA the next summer anyways. So why not keep them on the bench and run with our young guys who will be here beyond this season.

Last thing you want is a repeat of Marvin/Devin Harris/Big Al. Ride the so-called "veterans" so we can remain competitive for the 12th seed in the west and watch our assets(expiring contracts/trade pieces/young players) depreciate over time.
I agree with your thinking but unfortunately I think Hardy has the Corbin type of mindset where he rides with his vets. You pretty much have to force his hand by taking away his option of using them.