What's new

Trade Market for Williams, Jefferson and Rush

Stifle Tower

Punch Bowl Re-Filler
Like many, my thoughts have been, "trade these guys for whatever Utah can get." So I decided to examine trade possibilities. But I'm doing this from the perspective of who might be available from teams contending for a title or fighting for a playoff spot. I think it unlikely Lindsey takes on a salary dump at the deadline from lottery teams. 1) We know he's worked for the last couple of years to rid the team of bad contracts; 2) Teams headed for the lottery wanting to rid themselves of veterans are NOT going to want to give up a lottery pick in this draft. For these reasons, I'm not including Biedrins. Nor am I considering trades for just the expiring contracts of Williams and Jefferson. While I do believe KOC would consider a good veteran in exchange for an expiring contract, I see that as a remote possibility. Most vets put on the market have either played their way out of their situation, have created problems or are declining and overpriced.

With those considerations above, here are the salaries:
Jefferson $11M
Williams $9M
Rush $4M

Let's remove Rush from the equation. At his minimal salary, teams really wanting him could put together a deal. But frankly, I don't think he has much value. He needs another year to recover his game. Maybe a contender takes a chance on him with a late 2nd round pick and filler. If so, fine; if not, no big deal.

So, what player(s) do teams have AND ARE WILLING TO TRADE who approach the salaries of Jefferson and Williams? The answer is: not many. In the posts below, I'll list tradeable players from each playoff team (or those pretty close) who are making >$3M. Teams are going to need to have some players in that range to be trading partners.

Last edited:
Cut em and pay em ala raja bell...
Or the better option..... give em zero minutes per game

Eastern Conference
Indiana - Danny Granger $14M. Is MW or RJ an upgrade?
Miami - Haslem $4.3M (2 yr); Battier $3.3M.
Toronto - Salmons $7.6M (2 yrs), Fields $6.3M (2 yrs), Lowry $6.2M, Hayes $5.7M (2 yrs), Novak $3.8M (3 yrs).
Atlanta - Elton Brand $4M. Getting L. Williams at $5.2M (2 yr) would require giving up additional assets.
Chicago - Boozer $15.3M (2 yrs), Gibson $7.6M (4 years), Hinrich $4M, Dunleavy $3.2M (2 years)
Washington - Vesely $3.3M, Seraphin $2.8M, Booker $2.4M
Brooklyn - No one. Garnett has been disappointing but has no-trade clause.
Charlotte - Gordon $13.2M,
New York - Stoudemire - $22M (2 years), J.R. Smith $5.6M (3 years)
Detroit - Villanueva $8.6M, Jerebko $4.5M (2 yrs)
Cleveland - Clark $4.3M (2 years), Gee $3.3M (2 years)

Unfortunately, I don't see much opportunity in the EC for a trade. RJ or MW aren't going to make teams like Detroit or Cleveland title contenders. Those teams are better off missing the playoffs than going for an 8th seed. Toronto could put together a deal, but we'd get back players with another year on the contract. Other teams like Chicago (Boozer) or New York (Stoudemire) would likely be willing to dump those contracts. But I doubt DL wants to go that route.

Western Conference is next up...it will take me a little while to put together.

I said it before Detroit and the Bobcats are the teams that would make a lot of sense. Both teams wanna make the playoffs because they are not bad enough to get their own picks(maybe Charlotte but they want to make the POs).

Trade with the Cats:

RJ for Gordon straight up. A this point I don't care if we get a pick. And this makes sense for Charlotte cause they aren't using Gordon and RJ would give them much needed spacing.

Trade with the Pistons:

Charlie V for Marvin. Even though I would not mind keeping Marvin but something has to happen so I woud do that trade.

No need to trade Marvin - trade Jefferson for nothing or best offer. Then split Marvin's minutes between the 3 and the 4. Give the balance of the minutes left over to Burks/Kanter.

If The Jazz ever get good again Marvin would be an asset. I think his market value has dipped below "starter material" so Jazz should be able to get him for a modest 3 (2 and a team option) year deal.

Western Conference

Oklahoma City - Perkins $8.7M (2 years), Sefolosha $3.9M, Collison $2.6M (2 years).
San Antonio - Diaw $4.7M, Bonner $3.9M.
Portland - Robinson $3.5M (3 years), Wright $3M (2 years)
LA Clippers - Dudley $4.3M (3 years), Barnes $3.3M (4 years)
Houston - No one. Asik $8.4M (2 years). Asking price has been very high.
Phoenix - Emeka Okafor $14.5M
Golden State - Speights $3.5M (3 years). Trade exceptions, but no 1st round pick.
Dallas - Dalembert $3.7M (2 years), Ellington $2.7M (2 years)
Memphis - Prince $7.2M ( 2 yrs), Koufos $3.0 (2 yrs)
Minnesota - Mbah a Moute $4.6M (3 yrs).
Denver - Miller $5M (2 yrs), Mozgov $4.4M (3 yrs), Arthur $3.2M (2 yrs), Foye (NO!!!!!) $3M (3 yrs)
LA Lakers - Blake $4M, Kaman $3.2M

A few more teams having contracts to trade. But Utah is one among many teams that will be looking to deal at the deadline. As an opposing GM, I'd have to ask 1) Are RJ and MW really that good a value realtive to their contracts? 2) Do I have a need at those positions?

Sorry, don't know why SA and Toronto are in boxes. My Excel formatting does not have that.

The conclusion I've reached is that I just don't see a trade happening. RJ and MW are way overpriced for their court value. Teams will have better options at lower price points. About the only deal that I could see POSSIBLY happening is if Hornacek really likes one of those players (like Marvin). Could trade Okafor's contract for MW, BR and filler. Ask for a pick outright, but settle on giving Utah the option to switch picks with them (i.e. the GS pick in the mid-20's for the pick they have in the late teens).

Bench em
Bench the **** out of em

Interesting outake out of Chad Fords chat!

Question[McKay (Orem, UT)]:

What is with the Jazz winning so much? They are playing themselves right out of a top 3 pick. They have to trade away R. Jefferson and M. Williams before the deadline right? Right?

Answer(Chad Ford):

Don't think it's Richard Jefferson or Marvin Williams who are putting them over the top. Jefferson has a -7.6 +/- rating. He's helping them lose. Williams essential breaks even. The rest of the players they have are all young building blocks that need the minutes. The truth is the Jazz have a very promising young core with Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Trey Burke and Alec Burks. Those guys aren't going anywhere and are essentially a .500 team when healthy. Going to have to live with it Jazz fans. Will likely keep you out of the hunt for the No. 1 pick -- but the Jazz have a great foundation for the future. By the way. According to 82 games.com their best five man unit (the one that delivers the highest winning percentage is: Burke-Burks-Hayward-Favors-Kanter

I said it before Detroit and the Bobcats are the teams that would make a lot of sense. Both teams wanna make the playoffs because they are not bad enough to get their own picks(maybe Charlotte but they want to make the POs).

Trade with the Cats:

RJ for Gordon straight up. A this point I don't care if we get a pick. And this makes sense for Charlotte cause they aren't using Gordon and RJ would give them much needed spacing.

Trade with the Pistons:

Charlie V for Marvin. Even though I would not mind keeping Marvin but something has to happen so I woud do that trade.

Good work. Those might be possibilities as both teams have more incentive to at least make the playoffs than miss. Perhaps they'd give up a future pick with some protection (like top-10 protected).

Sorry, don't know why SA and Toronto are in boxes. My Excel formatting does not have that.

The conclusion I've reached is that I just don't see a trade happening. RJ and MW are way overpriced for their court value. Teams will have better options at lower price points. About the only deal that I could see POSSIBLY happening is if Hornacek really likes one of those players (like Marvin). Could trade Okafor's contract for MW, BR and filler. Ask for a pick outright, but settle on giving Utah the option to switch picks with them (i.e. the GS pick in the mid-20's for the pick they have in the late teens).

I would trade Marvin for Okafor but I highly doubt the Suns are interested in Williams because they already have stretch 4 type players. There is absolutely no way they give us a pick too.

Brooklyn has an Injured Player Exception. If they had any assets to trade I would pursue that. San Antonio, Charlotte, maybe Toronto might make good candidates. I think the only way is to take back someone with another year on their contract.

Brooklyn has an Injured Player Exception. If they had any assets to trade I would pursue that. San Antonio, Charlotte, maybe Toronto might make good candidates. I think the only way is to take back someone with another year on their contract.

Good point re: the Injured Player Exception. However, I don't think Brooklyn has any assets to trade until the next millenium. Agree that 2-3 yr deals are an option. Lindsey would need to evaluate that much like he did with Millsap and Jefferson. Is letting them "walk for nothing" better than taking on a multi-year contract - i.e. can Utah fare better in free agency or by facilitating a FA signing by another team (a la GS) by using their available salary space instead of tying it up on a player another team wants to get rid of at the deadline.

I would trade Marvin for Okafor but I highly doubt the Suns are interested in Williams because they already have stretch 4 type players. There is absolutely no way they give us a pick too.

I was proposng a switch of picks. But you're right; I don't think Jefferson or Williams are appreciably better than the talent they already have. Much better for them to hold on to their picks and try to package them to move up. Phoenix could have a couple of picks in the mid-teens (from Minn and Was) and then their own. Maybe trading all three gets them to around #10 or so.

Answer(Chad Ford):

Interesting that chad ford found stats saying that the core 5 together is our best lineup yet posters on jazzfanz are always providing stats saying otherwise.

I guess ford is on the core 5 bandwagon more than some jazz fanz are

Answer(Chad Ford):

We've been saying for about a month and a half how the Jazz young are finally better than the old guard. Good to see the media patting us on the back in agreement.

Why would the Suns do that brah?

Cause Frye has a player option next year he will most certainly pick up.... So the suns get a better player for their playoff run and cap relief for next year, and only throw in one of the many picks they have in this draft!!!