What's new

Trade Mitchell (Include Clarkson)

I was just looking at defensive stats and Forrest is one of the best in the league at Defended Field Goal% and the difference between their FG%. Players are shooting 33% when he is guarding them. Gobert is also super elite at 39%(with a crazy high 18.4 defended shots a game, highest in the league). Mitchell and Bojan are our worst at 49 and 52.

Last edited:
Its interesting to see the percentage points difference on the defended FG%. Gobert, Forrest, Ingles, Whiteside , and Royce (barely) all hold players to worse percentages when they defend on shots. Conley is about even and the rest of the team Clarkson, Paschall, Bojan, and Mitchell all let players shoot better than average. These feel about right with watching the game and how I feel people defend.

If you take the filter off for games played this year Butler is actually number 1 in the league, players shoot 14% worse when he is defending their shot. He needs some minutes but I am not sure it should come at Forrests expense.

Donovan is a tremendous offensive talent who is turning the corner on efficiency. He plays better defense than James Harden (doesn't say much). But I think he can become a similarly efficient offensive threat to James Harden in 2 years if he keeps working on handles.

If he leaves, then that sucks but according to many of you that would be a good thing. I just can't jeopardize the upside of a relevance for another 5 years for the hypothetical. I'll take my chances on him staying and then if he demands a trade then I would find a willing partner who gives up a crazy package for him. Pre-emptively booting him is stupid for small market Utah. I mean, who would you guys propose we trade him for? OKC's 30 first round picks?

Quin is more concerning to me than Spida. He hasn't played players that are more flexible who have demonstrated they can hang in favor of his predictable 9 player deep roster. The bucks were like 12 deep last year in the playoffs. We refuse to develop the bottom half of the team which makes us 1 injury shy of a repeat of last year. That spooks me way more than anything Donovan is doing.

I was just looking at defensive stats and Forrest is one of the best in the league at Defended Field Goal% and the difference between their FG%. Players are shooting 33% (with a crazy high 18.4 defended shots a game, highest in the league) when he is guarding them. Gobert is also super elite at 39%. Mitchell and Bojan are our worst at 49 and 52.

Good information, but obviously Forrest isn't defending 18.4 shots per game?

Donovan is a tremendous offensive talent who is turning the corner on efficiency. He plays better defense than James Harden (doesn't say much). But I think he can become a similarly efficient offensive threat to James Harden in 2 years if he keeps working on handles.

If he leaves, then that sucks but according to many of you that would be a good thing. I just can't jeopardize the upside of a relevance for another 5 years for the hypothetical. I'll take my chances on him staying and then if he demands a trade then I would find a willing partner who gives up a crazy package for him. Pre-emptively booting him is stupid for small market Utah. I mean, who would you guys propose we trade him for? OKC's 30 first round picks?

Quin is more concerning to me than Spida. He hasn't played players that are more flexible who have demonstrated they can hang in favor of his predictable 9 player deep roster. The bucks were like 12 deep last year in the playoffs. We refuse to develop the bottom half of the team which makes us 1 injury shy of a repeat of last year. That spooks me way more than anything Donovan is doing.
I have a crazy package but I'm not giving it up for Donovan.

No only three a game. It's only 51 total shots defended. So a somewhat small sample size, but promising. Butler has defended 33.
Hes a good defender. People think he isn't as good as Dunn/Harrison because he doesn't sell out for steals and outwardly display effort as muchh as those dudes.

I was just looking at defensive stats and Forrest is one of the best in the league at Defended Field Goal% and the difference between their FG%. Players are shooting 33% (with a crazy high 18.4 defended shots a game, highest in the league) when he is guarding them. Gobert is also super elite at 39%. Mitchell and Bojan are our worst at 49 and 52.

Wait, wut? It says Forrest is guarding 3 field goal attempts per game. (You need to edit for clarity... the 18.4 figure belongs to Gobert. You appear to know this, but your post reads otherwise).

These stats also eat into your Bojan-the-defender narrative.

Wait, wut? It says Forrest is guarding 3 field goal attempts per game. (You need to edit for clarity... the 18.4 figure belongs to Gobert. You appear to know this, but your post reads otherwise).

These stats also eat into your Bojan-the-defender narrative.
Oh yeah, I put that info in the wrong spot for Gobert/Forrest, I'll fix it. This does make Bojan look even worse. Although this is a decent stat I don't think, like all defensive stats, it tells the whole story. But I haven't claimed him to be a good defender. I was making an argument for why you keep him in at the end, even on a defensive possession. Even at his best Bojan isn't a good defender.

For reference last year niang was our best in this same defended fg% stat. Forrest and Mitchell were our worst. Bojan was in the middle and holding people slightly below their averages.

Oh yeah, I put that info in the wrong spot for Gobert/Forrest, I'll fix it. This does make Bojan look even worse. Although this is a decent stat I don't think, like all defensive stats, it tells the whole story. But I haven't claimed him to be a good defender. I was making an argument for why you keep him in at the end, even on a defensive possession. Even at his best Bojan isn't a good defender.
Bojan can defend certain dudes. He just can't guard speed or shiftiness

Imagine the correlation that as Donovan has dialed up his efficiency and taken better shots, we are magically winning games.

When the game comes to him, he's an All-Star. When he has to force it because of picking up the slack or what not, we lose. Not rocket science.

Imagine the correlation that as Donovan has dialed up his efficiency and taken better shots, we are magically winning games.

When the game comes to him, he's an All-Star. When he has to force it because of picking up the slack or what not, we lose. Not rocket science.
And also imagine the correlation between giving a player time in the trenches practicing his craft and him getting better.

Jazz's schedule has also been fairly cupcake. The West is overall weak as hell this year.

The Cavs the only team the Jazz have faced recently who have been in a groove when they played them. Everyone else has either been trending down (Wizards/Blazers/Sixers) or extremely injured (Clippers).

There isnt a hard game on the schedule until January 1st vs the Warriors.

Boston is struggling. Their offense isn't any good. Donovan is probably a better fit next to Tatum than Brown is. Donovan is also under contract control for longer.

Brown and Smart bring a defensive mentality to the Jazz. The Jazz improve on D tremendously with this trade. It also allows Conley to have more ownership of the team, which will greatly improve the Jazz.

Bring Royce off the bench. Get Butler up to speed as the backup PG with Ingles. Start giving House or Hughes some minutes.

Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart for Donovan and Clarkson

Who says no?
Jazz say no. Mitchell craps all over jaylen as a self creator and playoff performer. Stop being knee jerk due to mid season funk without Rudy. This is ridiculous smh. You want to rely on a 34 year old who can't play back to backs as your maim offensive engine?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: