What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Its the whole, Utah can't tank... they are a small market and would basically have to sell the team lie. We can't have a terrible team that is embarrassing when hosting the AS game. Everyone will think Utah is the worst place ever.

Tony Jones already started putting out the company defense of "lolz... they wouldn't do that... lolz". But everyone already heard the reasoning from multiple sources... when people called it super dumb the messaging changes. We could be walking into the most depressing era of Jazz basketball sans the early years when they came from NO.

I swear if I didn't know better I would think Tony Jones was on the Jazz's payroll. He can be as bad as Locke sometimes.

I really wonder what the real offers are for Rudy. That contract is going to be a significant hinderance. This playoffs has likely hurt the trade/market value of traditional bigs... even though like 80% of the teams aren't really trying to make the conference finals.

Ayton actually being on the market likely hurts us a little too (assuming Phoenix pokes around his trade value).

I really wonder what the real offers are for Rudy. That contract is going to be a significant hinderance. This playoffs has likely hurt the trade/market value of traditional bigs... even though like 80% of the teams aren't really trying to make the conference finals.

Ayton actually being on the market likely hurts us a little too (assuming Phoenix pokes around his trade value).

I think there are legitimately 5 or so teams that would take Rudy, especially teams that are committed to a pick-and-roll point guard that needs to play off of a big--e.g. Portland, Atlanta, etc. I think Rudy represented himself well in the playoffs for the most part. Myles Turner and Ayton are both somewhat available for trades as well, though it's possible that they get traded for each other.

I would go ahead and trade Rudy this season though, before the handful of teams that would need him figure out alternatives.

Like if Suns offer Ayton for Collins and Capela (likely throw in Saric for matching) and we offer Rudy for Collins, Capela, and #16 who's offer is better?

Based on D'Antoni likely getting the Charlotte job I'm not sure center is their priority. I think SA might prefer having Ayton based on their timeline with Murray, Johnson, etc.

I think the Rudy offers will be much more tepid than we are guessing.

I think there are legitimately 5 or so teams that would take Rudy, especially teams that are committed to a pick-and-roll point guard that needs to play off of a big--e.g. Portland, Atlanta, etc. I think Rudy represented himself well in the playoffs for the most part. Myles Turner and Ayton are both somewhat available for trades as well, though it's possible that they get traded for each other.

I would go ahead and trade Rudy this season though, before the handful of teams that would need him figure out alternatives.
Its a narrow market... I think it could be possible we get better offers in season... the memories of the playoffs have faded and teams are once again realizing they are stuck. I would likely move him now if we got a fair offer.

Portland likely would need to send Nurkic back in a sign and trade... or maybe to a third team. I could see them having serious interest if other deals don't materialize.

Like if Suns offer Ayton for Collins and Capela (likely throw in Saric for matching) and we offer Rudy for Collins, Capela, and #16 who's offer is better?

Based on D'Antoni likely getting the Charlotte job I'm not sure center is their priority. I think SA might prefer having Ayton based on their timeline with Murray, Johnson, etc.

I think the Rudy offers will be much more tepid than we are guessing.

If I were Atlanta, based on the scenario above, I would probably get Gobert. That way I know I'm getting consistent defense, rebounds, and effort in general. Jury's out on whether Ayton is really a legit max guy, and he's going to be looking for a max deal in a sign-and-trade or something close to it.

I think Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Portland, Dallas and Toronto will all explore the market for Ayton, Turner and Gobert. Mitchell Robinson is also a sign-and-trade possibility. For any team that wants to upgrade defensively Gobert will be high on the list. I think Gobert has enough of a market that Ayton won't soften it much. But I wouldn't wait too long.

The argument for Gobert is that he singlehandedly lifts a team's defense into the top 10, which should be good for 8-10 wins.

If I were Atlanta, based on the scenario above, I would probably get Gobert. That way I know I'm getting consistent defense, rebounds, and effort in general. Jury's out on whether Ayton is really a legit max guy, and he's going to be looking for a max deal in a sign-and-trade or something close to it.

I think Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Portland, Dallas and Toronto will all explore the market for Ayton, Turner and Gobert. Mitchell Robinson is also a sign-and-trade possibility. For any team that wants to upgrade defensively Gobert will be high on the list. I think Gobert has enough of a market that Ayton won't soften it much. But I wouldn't wait too long.

The argument for Gobert is that he singlehandedly lifts a team's defense into the top 10, which should be good for 8-10 wins.
I think it does a little but a team like Indiana is more likely in on Ayton vs. Rudy... Maybe.

But many on this site think Collins, Capela, #16 is laughable for Rudy... we want Hunter, Huerter, Okongwu and future picks on top of JC, Clint, and a first.

Dallas may win the damn title so not sure they will be crazy motivated to do a Rudy trade.

I think we are likely rolling forward with Donovan and Rudy for now in part because the trade market for Rudy will be less exciting than we think.

I think it does a little but a team like Indiana is more likely in on Ayton vs. Rudy... Maybe.

But many on this site think Collins, Capela, #16 is laughable for Rudy... we want Hunter, Huerter, Okongwu and future picks on top of JC, Clint, and a first.

Dallas may win the damn title so not sure they will be crazy motivated to do a Rudy trade.

I think we are likely rolling forward with Donovan and Rudy for now in part because the trade market for Rudy will be less exciting than we think.

Regarding that last statement, I'm not so sure. Rudy's market will probably never be better than it is now. And the Jazz's ability to retool without getting significant assets back for Gobert is also limited. Then there's the question of whether Ainge really agrees with the current architecture of the team. I think the Jazz would *like* to move Rudy and get a substantial return, while the team gets younger, longer and more athletic as a whole.

Do the Jazz really want Gobert for another 3 or 4 years? If the Jazz are going to pivot, they'll want to do it sooner rather than later and give themselves a shot at keeping Donovan engaged.

Regarding that last statement, I'm not so sure. Rudy's market will probably never be better than it is now. And the Jazz's ability to retool without getting significant assets back for Gobert is also limited. Then there's the question of whether Ainge really agrees with the current architecture of the team. I think the Jazz would *like* to move Rudy and get a substantial return, while the team gets younger, longer and more athletic as a whole.

Do the Jazz really want Gobert for another 3 or 4 years? If the Jazz are going to pivot, they'll want to do it sooner rather than later and give themselves a shot at keeping Donovan engaged.
I think the NBA is pretty reactionary... so you get a little into the season and a team isn't thinking playoffs anymore and just needs to win now (like the Sacramento Kings).

Again... would love to know the offers. If it is just straight Capela and Collins for Rudy (and maybe Rudy Gay) I think that is a no from us. 16 makes it interesting... but then I think they are likely moving that pick for something that helps now (not something you or I would do... just the sense I get).

I think the NBA is pretty reactionary... so you get a little into the season and a team isn't thinking playoffs anymore and just needs to win now (like the Sacramento Kings).

Again... would love to know the offers. If it is just straight Capela and Collins for Rudy (and maybe Rudy Gay) I think that is a no from us. 16 makes it interesting... but then I think they are likely moving that pick for something that helps now (not something you or I would do... just the sense I get).
I don't think Turner is on the table this summer. He's excited about Haliburton.

If Atlanta only offers Capela, Collins and either Jalen Johnson or #16 for Rudy, we gotta find a way to flip Capela elsewhere.

To Charlotte for PJ Washington and Plumlee?

To Chicago for Vucevic or Caruso and a pick?

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't think Turner is on the table this summer. He's excited about Haliburton.

If Atlanta only offers Capela, Collins and either Jalen Johnson or #16 for Rudy, we gotta find a way to flip Capela elsewhere.

I don't think Chicago has enough to do a deal for Gobert. To me, Charlotte is the baseline with a package that includes PJ Washington, #13 and #15. If I'm the Jazz, I'd hope to do better than that.

Atlanta makes a lot of sense, just due to fit with Trae, their need to upgrade defensively, and the fact that they have assets to make it work.

I also think there are going to be a few surprise teams in the lottery who would look at Gobert as a bandaid to boost their team by 10 wins and get them into the playoffs. Portland and Washington are two teams that come to mind. San Antonio could also decide that they have enough young players and 4 years of Gobert would give them the defensive anchor they need to be a playoff team. How many years do they want to keep treadmilling and get a pick in the 8 - 12 range?

The other thing that's interesting is that Sacramento is willing to move their lottery pick for win-now players if they don't move up in the draft order. So they could be a 3rd team that helps put together the right package for Gobert.

Last edited:
I don't think Chicago has enough to do a deal for Gobert. To me, Charlotte is the baseline with a package that includes PJ Washington, #13 and #15. If I'm the Jazz, I'd hope to do better than that.

Atlanta makes a lot of sense, just due to fit with Trae, their need to upgrade defensively, and the fact that they have assets to make it work.

I also think there are going to be a few surprise teams in the lottery who would look at Gobert as a bandaid to boost their team by 10 wins and get them into the playoffs. Portland and Washington are two teams that come to mind. San Antonio could also decide that they have enough young players and 4 years of Gobert would give them the defensive anchor they need to be a playoff team. How many years do they want to keep treadmilling and get a pick in the 8 - 12 range?
Think Chicago would do Lonzo, Vucevic and Caruso for Rudy and Conley? Would we?

Gets us close to out of the lottery while giving us a great PG to pair with Don long term. Caruso toughens us up. Vuc is a good center although we need more front court help.

Turner lives on the table… he’s always available.

I think you need a center at Capela level to get through the regular season and to help if you run up against Jokic or Embiid. They may be 15 minute a night guys in certain series but still helpful.

I’d just love to see what the real offers are… not guess from writers or fans.

Think Chicago would do Lonzo, Vucevic and Caruso for Rudy and Conley? Would we?

Gets us close to out of the lottery while giving us a great PG to pair with Don long term. Caruso toughens us up. Vuc is a good center although we need more front court help.

Lonzo may have a serious knee issue, meaning the Jazz probably wouldn't take him. I doubt the Bulls want to move Caruso. They'd insist on Vucevic for salary and offer dudes like Coby White that we don't want. They also don't have a lottery pick to offer. I'd pass if I were the Jazz.

I like the Hawks or possibly a 3-team trade with Charlotte and Sacramento. Charlotte would send a player or two to Sacto, and Sacto would hand over #7 to the Jazz while dropping back to #13 or #15 from Charlotte. Jazz could target Keegan, or offer #7 to San Antonio for #9 and #20.

I think Lonzo is available… they are worried about his knee… it has hit news cycles a couple times. Wonder if he needs microfracture surgery or something.

Pacers will trade Turner's *** with no regards to how he feels. Same for Brogdon. At least one of them will get moved in the summer. Maybe both