What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I don’t know the stats on this but I’d be interested in seeing Donovan’s finishing at the rim and around 3-feet compared to some other stars. I feel like he will make some really good moves and fails to finish easier shots at times. Could be totally wrong here.

Rudy - 95th percentile (7% frequency)
Conley - 24th percentile (8% frequency)
Bojan - 44th percentile (22% frequency)
Clarkson 47th percentile (14% frequency)
Mitchell 25th percentil (15% frequency)

(those are from this season)
Royce and House were both good in transition.

THe weirdest thing is just how bad Mitchell has been in transition. Those stats are actually insane when you consider how athletic and explosive he used to play. Here are his percentiles in transitions since entering the league:

-2017/2018 - 38.1 percentile
-2018/2019 - 13.2 percentile
-2019/2020 - 9.5 percentile
-2020/2021 - 24.5 percentile
-2021/2022 - 24.6 percentile

Those stats are bonkers. It's kind of hard to believe it when you see it. This is one of the things that's holding back Mitchell the most... the play type that most superstars excel at and bump up their efficiency with is the one where Mitchell struggles with the most. He's actually really good at the hard parts of offensive creation.... but the really easy stuff he needs massive improvements with.

He can only jump off two feet, he's explosive side to side and vertically when he can jump off two, but this is no surprise because he can't run and dunk. Don also isn't the type of player to hustle down the court to run to the corner either, which is where you can be efficient in transition. He's low in efficiency, but his volume isn't very high either.

Having said all that....I actually think this is one of the reasons why Mitchell is underrated as an offensive player. Many players will get a lot of points in transition and boost their scoring/efficiency that way. That's obviously a good thing, but it also means that they're taking a lot of the easy baskets that would have still been scored if it wasn't them. Devin Booker is one of the best transition players in the game, but how much better does he make the team's transition as a whole? Mitchell's efficiency isn't the best obviously, but he is one of the best at doing the "hard" things. Mitchell isn't as good at transition, but he's much better at scoring in the tough ways and to me that's way more preferable. Not something you would notice just looking at a player's raw TS%.

I don’t know the stats on this but I’d be interested in seeing Donovan’s finishing at the rim and around 3-feet compared to some other stars. I feel like he will make some really good moves and fails to finish easier shots at times. Could be totally wrong here.
Yes, there are some really easy pickings to be had with Donovan's efficiency. He does pretty much all the hardest things really well. But the easy stuff needs improvement - he needs to get to the line more, he needs to improve in transition, he needs to improve on cuts.

Look at those stats:
Isolation - 83d percentile (9% frequency)
PnR ballhandler - 88th percentile(47.5% frequency!!!!!!!!!!!! This is actually insane PnR volume ... but he's really good at it)

Those are elite numbers for a primary ballhandler and offensive creator. But he doesn't even have enough volume on cuts to qualify for the stat. And his transition numbers have been bad for the entirety of his career.

BTW just checked his finishing around the rim - it's actually pretty good - 71% this last season... this is great for a guard.

These guys will literally reach for any measure to try to break down Donovan Mitchell.

I've never seen anything like it for guys who are supposedly fans of the team.

Yes, there are some really easy pickings to be had with Donovan's efficiency. He does pretty much all the hardest things really well. But the easy stuff needs improvement - he needs to get to the line more, he needs to improve in transition, he needs to improve on cuts.

Look at those stats:
PnR ballhandler - 88th percentile(47.5% frequency!!!!!!!!!!!! This is actually insane PnR volume ... but he's really good at it)

Those are elite numbers for a primary ballhandler and offensive creator. But he doesn't even have enough volume on cuts to qualify for the stat. And his transition numbers have been bad for the entirety of his career.

BTW just checked his finishing around the rim - it's actually pretty good - 71% this last season... this is great for a guard.

The more I think about it the more it was probably just the most recent playoff series against Dallas. I’d bet his percentage was lower within 5 feet.

Look at those stats:

These guys will literally reach for any measure to try to break down Donovan Mitchell.

I've never seen anything like it for guys who are supposedly fans of the team.

He literally posted stats praising Mitchell the post before this one. LOL

interesting. mannix is no joke.
Mannix on Russillo's podcast today: "in the coming months the market for Donovan Mitchell, I believe, will be incredibly robust." He goes on to say, that Ainge only does deals when he smells desperation. He said that Ainge smells desperation better than any Exec he's ever been around. He then went on to say, "there could be a bidding war in the coming months for Donovan Mitchell from teams that are desperate."

Mannix on Russillo's podcast today: "in the coming months the market for Donovan Mitchell, I believe, will be incredibly robust." He goes on to say, that Ainge only does deals when he smells desperation. He said that Ainge smells desperation better than any Exec he's ever been around. He then went on to say, "there could be a bidding war in the coming months for Donovan Mitchell from teams that are desperate."
Which is fine by me. Let's let the Coach Hardy era start and keep Don. If the team stumbles or Don wants to go due to this high demand, trade him.

This ain't rocket science. Try to win but know we can trade him if the demand and price is met along with Don's willingness to go.

Look at those stats:

If you want to get optimistic about Don, look at his catch and shoot / spot up stuff last year compared to other years. If he combines his improved finishing with his typical shooting….look out.

So are we able to trade any of the players we got in the Rudy trade or are there restrictions?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz