What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Ok, Ryan Smith being the guy holding onto JC makes more sense than it being DA.

Ryan Smith wants Utah to be "cool" so it makes sense he wants to keep JC.
Yeah probably why Tony Jones was hinting last week at the fact he was more likely to get extended than to get traded. The Jazz on all their social media have been pushing JC too.
Now more truth comes out thru Shams and Larsen tweets. I understand where Conley/Gay contracts are probably near impossible to move but don't see any way DA holds on to JC esp after trading everyone else from last year's team... unless he was directed to do so. Who knows. I get the culture thing. JC seems like a real chill dude but his style of play isn't really conducive to setting a culture for a rebuilding team. He actually plays just the opposite of what they should be instilling in these young kids.

Ok, Ryan Smith being the guy holding onto JC makes more sense than it being DA.

Ryan Smith wants Utah to be "cool" so it makes sense he wants to keep JC.

What if the logic is to extend JC under the current CBA, which will make his salary a bargain post new-CBA when everyone gets paid more? Would he be easier to move?

What if the logic is to extend JC under the current CBA, which will make his salary a bargain post new-CBA when everyone gets paid more? Would he be easier to move?
No. I don't think his style of play really contributes to winning basketball. As it is they are already stuck with some bad contracts in Gay and THT. I wouldn't double down on anymore guaranteed money to any of these guys but that's just me.

The way they were playing Gay yesterday tells me they are super desperate to showcase and move off him. I wonder if Smith won't let them cut his guaranteed money?

The way they were playing Gay yesterday tells me they are super desperate to showcase and move off him. I wonder if Smith won't let them cut his guaranteed money?
I’m sure they could have sent Gay somewhere with Bojan. Probably one of those things you could explore if you weren’t locked in on getting Olynyk as a return for your best trade piece.

It’s well past time for the JFC FO. There’s at least one big **** up a year that we could prevent.
I often-times wonder if running an organization more democratically (with people that know anything) is a better way to approach decision-making. It is hard for me to believe that the Bogey or THT things shake out the same way because those only make much sense through the lens of one guy subjectively overvaluing the return.

Then again, maybe sending the Lakers a player that is precisely what they need and relieving them of THT's contract was a fruit basket more than a down-payment. IDK, the end result makes no ****ing sense to me.

I think they prefer not to... so showcasing him in preseason and first 10-15 games is fine... after that just go ahead and eat the contract. Better to move on... or just send him home until after the trade deadline.

The other thing that could happen is a team sees him and he is playing well enough they want to sign him for a minimum deal. So Gay might be willing to give some back in a buyout because he has a better situation waiting for him. Another team also might lose a player due to injury and be motivated to get Rudy at that point.

I think Ryan is still desperately clinging to the idea that we need an all-star this year. If the team does well then perhaps Jordan becomes an all-star.
That would be pretty delusional. I think JC is a marketable player and a nice guy to have around. He is cool AF and Ryan want to make Utah cool... he could have 15 JCs and Utah will still not be cool.

I often-times wonder if running an organization more democratically (with people that know anything) is a better way to approach decision-making. It is hard for me to believe that the Bogey or THT things shake out the same way because those only make much sense through the lens of one guy subjectively overvaluing the return.

Then again, maybe sending the Lakers a player that is precisely what they need and relieving them of THT's contract was a fruit basket more than a down-payment. IDK, the end result makes no ****ing sense to me.
I think everything will have the appearance of having been done "democratically." We have our own little thing here in Utah where we've been fairly insulated and had very little turnover. When there had been turnover, it was usually planned well in advance (sans Sloan). We've kept ourselves more aloof from the changing tides throughout the league and didn't feel a need or pressure to do things anyone else's way. This afforded guys like DL to be the "smartest guy in the room." When you're lower on the rungs of a franchise like the Jazz, you certainly may be doing some good resume building, but you're not the sexy starlet that everyone is talking about. You need to go along to get along. So DL did things his particular way, the most obvious example being the 2020 draft, where all we got was puff about how high the analytics favored his choices and it was only after a changing of the guard did people come out with the criticisms, almost in a gaslighting fashion.

Fast forward to now where you're under new ownership, everything in the franchise is changing, long-time guys behind the scenes are being jettisoned, and now you bring in one of those "big names" that's probably one of the top 3 names of executives in terms of "know-ability," to borrow a Bolerism. This is the guy who's been a part of championship teams, built championship teams, and has been in the league at every level. As humans, we always want to have some level of belief in a higher power -- someone who can see the end from the beginning. If something that a high-power individual does doesn't make any sense, it's because they're operating on a much higher intellectual plane than the rest of us and can see things that we couldn't even comprehend. If the emperor appears naked but insists he's clothed, the problem must be with us, because people arising to the level of emperor don't get there by exposing themselves. So, if it doesn't make a lot of sense to send Beverley for THT, well... you can trust that THE GUY WHO BUILDS CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER!!!! knows what he's doing and sees something you can't. If you don't like getting Olynyk for Bojan... well, lol, then there just wasn't a market for Bojan and if we didn't make the trade then Thanos would have gotten the infinity stone or something. So the guys in the front office will try to look at the positive, maybe provide some reassuring statements that don't mean anything, like, "oh he's athletic," or "oh, he's young," or something stupid. It's like when my companion in the MTC showed me a picture of his girlfriend and asked me "don't you think she's so cute?" to which I responded, "oh, she looks like someone I know!"

I know there's some level of independent thought, but a big part of keeping the job and getting yourself to new heights is to periodically tickle his *******. When you're in the position of having to believe in your work, the decisions that appear out of your control can be temporarily rationalized. When your situation changes, you can pretend you don't have much ownership of someone else's sins.

Truth is, these decisions are probably run more democratically then people make it out to be. It's just easier to put the blame/praise on a single person. Even if one person has the ultimate say, that single opinion has been influenced by heavily influenced by others anyways.

Truth is, these decisions are probably run more democratically then people make it out to be. It's just easier to put the blame/praise on a single person. Even if one person has the ultimate say, that single opinion has been influenced by heavily influenced by others anyways.

I just find it hard to believe that multiple people signed off on the THT and Olynyk trades.

I find it much harder to believe that one person is making these decisions and executing them against of wishes of the rest of the group.

Unless everyone was in the understanding that the Bogey trade was strictly for saving money and were fine with it there isn’t any other rationalization for that trade. I’ve never seen an entire board in agreement on one trade before (except for Cy).

Last edited:
You can’t tell me JZ couldn’t have found a better deal for Bogey than ****ing Kelly Olynyk alone.

Unless everyone was in understanding that the Bogey trade was strictly for saving money and were fine with it there isn’t any other rationalization for that trade. I’ve never seen an entire board in agreement on one trade before (except for Cy).

Nobody here is going to care about Ryan Smith saying cash, so no surprises there.

Also, hot take, but Olynyk might just be a better player than Bogey going forward. The Jazz certainly got a boost there in their statistical projections. I just don't think it make sense to get a good player and not go for a future facing asset.