What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

The problem with "showcasing" is that once they play well enough it actually changes their trade value... you won't want to trade them. @infection back me up here.

They have to play really well to actually change their trade value... and once they do that... you now value them more and want to retain them.
Yes it’s the infection paradox.

Oh man if this happens… especially if they’re using BEVERLEY in the deal.
There is no way this deal happens. They had a better Bogey deal on the table that they wouldn't pull the trigger on. They aren't foing to use those picks on anything but a 'name brand.'

No such thing as "showcasing". All NBA players have been under a microscope since they were 14 years old (or earlier). Everyone is a known quantity.

If anything, it's a risk to give extended minutes to vets you're going to trade. They might get hurt. Case in point - Kelly Olynyk.
Kelly Olynyk has been a starter for the Jazz since day one. A better example of showcasing might be playing THT over NAW in the Houston and Chicago games after he hadn't played in weeks. I don't think it's any coincidence that THT's salary is a direct match for Crowder's or Saric', both of which are UFA this season. He also conveniently fits into a trade for DLo who is also UFA this season. I've seen a lot of unrealistic trade proposals involving the Jazz but getting something of value for an expiring UFA is a realistic scenario for teams losing those players. And teams looking to make the playoffs are generally willing to include draft compensation when and if necessary (as we approach the deadline). With only three possible contracts coming off the books this year (two of which being two way) and NAW being a player we should likely hang onto, roster reduction is a valuable consideration. Cap relief is always a plus, particularly when we become buyers again which I believe will be sooner than later, as we currently have no picks in 2024.

So are any trades coming soon for the Jazz or not? I don’t believe the Jazz have been stealth-tanking, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they start moving north in the standings during the long home game stretch. Obviously I could be wrong. But whatever the case, it’ll be interesting to see what Danny does during the next thirty-one days (until the trade deadline).

Kelly Olynyk has been a starter for the Jazz since day one. A better example of showcasing might be playing THT over NAW in the Houston and Chicago games after he hadn't played in weeks. I don't think it's any coincidence that THT's salary is a direct match for Crowder's or Saric', both of which are UFA this season. He also conveniently fits into a trade for DLo who is also UFA this season. I've seen a lot of unrealistic trade proposals involving the Jazz but getting something of value for an expiring UFA is a realistic scenario for teams losing those players. And teams looking to make the playoffs are generally willing to include draft compensation when and if necessary (as we approach the deadline). With only three possible contracts coming off the books this year (two of which being two way) and NAW being a player we should likely hang onto, roster reduction is a valuable consideration. Cap relief is always a plus, particularly when we become buyers again which I believe will be sooner than later, as we currently have no picks in 2024.
It would be great if we could trade THT and his contract for Crowder but I have no idea why Phoenix would.

They would not. At least not if they are acting rationally.
We just need to find those magical THT farts that people were sniffing and get their olfactory senses so overwhelmed that they shut down to enable full intoxication.

Also, could someone please give me the Reader’s Digest version of what’s happened with THT? He’s supposed to be a guy that will grow here and he’s averaging less minutes than any year since his rookie season and has a blistering 47.5% TS%. I believe there were a few “told ya so”s floating around when he had a stretch with a few highlights but those have mostly disappeared.

It would be great if we could trade THT and his contract for Crowder but I have no idea why Phoenix would.
Why the hell wouldn't they? They've got until the 9th of next month to do something with a guy that his been sitting at home on his *** all season. Miami has already expressed interest only after a buyout. Anybody else out there lying in the weeds all this time just waiting to pounce?

Why the hell wouldn't they? They've got until the 9th of next month to do something with a guy that his been sitting at home on his *** all season. Miami has already expressed interest only after a buyout. Anybody else out there lying in the weeds all this time just waiting to pounce?
I dunno. Someone who they're not on the hook for $11M next year with. Anyone. Or just let Crowder expire. If they're looking to unload Crowder for "anyone" who's not an expiring, I'm sure they could land someone a tad more useful than THT.

"Hey, we've got a full gallon of milk here that will expire in two days!"
"I'll give you an old mattress for it that you'll have to figure out what to do with!"
"No thanks. We can just let it go bad."

Bucks and Hawks have also shown interest. I think they were always fine waiting until the deadline, but injuries may make them decide to do a deal earlier to get some production. I don't think Crowder will go for a 1st like a lot of suggestions but there is no way he is only worth a THT.

I know Locke is so proud of how the Jazz "ripped off" the Lakers by stealing THT, but I don't think he has any value, especially for a team wanting to win now like the Suns

Also, could someone please give me the Reader’s Digest version of what’s happened with THT? He’s supposed to be a guy that will grow here and he’s averaging less minutes than any year since his rookie season and has a blistering 47.5% TS%. I believe there were a few “told ya so”s floating around when he had a stretch with a few highlights but those have mostly disappeared.
Look... it was a trade so head scratching at the time that an unnamed poster said he was a down payment on a bigger trade.

They thought he could get good at the things he's bad at. Thus far he has showed he's still mostly bad. So a coach benched him because our season became less about development time because we were good. If it was just his decision making I could see being hopeful right now... if it was just his shooting I could see being hopeful right now... but I just don't have a lot of hope he figures it out. At least we have another 1.5 seasons to figure it out... cuz there is zero way he declines his option.

Bucks and Hawks have also shown interest. I think they were always fine waiting until the deadline, but injuries may make them decide to do a deal earlier to get some production. I don't think Crowder will go for a 1st like a lot of suggestions but there is no way he is only worth a THT.

I know Locke is so proud of how the Jazz "ripped off" the Lakers by stealing THT, but I don't think he has any value, especially for a team wanting to win now like the Suns
I posted three possible scenarios for THT and Crowder was only one of them. The closer we get to the 9th with no traction, the better someone like THT looks, be it Crowder, Saric or even part of a DLo deal.

Weather it happens or not is one thing, but for THT to suddenly supplant NAW in the lineup (with NAW not injured) seems to suggest something. (NAW was back for Memphis but THT was also back on the injury report with a sprained ankle.)

Last edited:
"Hey, we've got a full gallon of milk here that will expire in two days!"
"I'll give you an old mattress for it that you'll have to figure out what to do with!"
"No thanks. We can just let it go bad."
I have to assume that you’re referring to Crowder here because that is precisely their position as they approach the February 9th expiration date.o_O

I doubt Locke considers contract length in his evaluation lol. Just that Bev sucks so bad its hard to say on a player basis that we "lost".

Specifically Phoenix will not take on future salary as they have a big tax crunch and a new owner coming in. Jae for THT won't happen. James Jones is said to be tought to deal with in some ways... has a high threshold for trades (per some pods I've listened to). Which makes sense as they don't do a ton of deals. It also makes the Bogey to Phoenix thing that fell apart make sense. It should have been an easy deal - Bogey for a pick... a deal they should have done... but they wanted protections and Vando so we told them nah.

I doubt Locke considers contract length in his evaluation lol. Just that Bev sucks so bad its hard to say on a player basis that we "lost".

Specifically Phoenix will not take on future salary as they have a big tax crunch and a new owner coming in. Jae for THT won't happen. James Jones is said to be tought to deal with in some ways... has a high threshold for trades (per some pods I've listened to). Which makes sense as they don't do a ton of deals. It also makes the Bogey to Phoenix thing that fell apart make sense. It should have been an easy deal - Bogey for a pick... a deal they should have done... but they wanted protections and Vando so we told them nah.

Also heard that Sarver still has to give his ok to any trades at the moment.