What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

For the love of all things basketball target the Kings.

I've been consuming Jaden Ivey film for the last week and I'm convinced he can replicate what Donovan did his rookie season plus more.

If you can get Ivey and some other pieces for Mitchell, you do it 100%.

It sounds like the Jazz are waiting to be blown out of the water with a Donovan offer and arent actively discussing it. They should make the Kings feel special and give them a call.

My biggest fear, and what I think is the most likely situation, will be the Jazz trading Rudy for win now pieces and running the team back centered around Mitchell.

Call it a change in coaching philosophies, needing time to find the right pieces to put around Mitchell, or an injury with Mitchell trying to do too much… I think Mitchell’s value plummets next year.

The result will be the Jazz falling into mediocrity without any assets to build towards the future.

I've been consuming Jaden Ivey film for the last week and I'm convinced he can replicate what Donovan did his rookie season plus more.

It sounds like the Jazz are waiting to be blown out of the water with a Donovan offer and arent actively discussing it. They should make the Kings feel special and give them a call.

Ivey looks like a surefire star to me. His end-to-end speed and burst to blow by guys is like John Wall, and he's got somewhat better change of speed and direction than Wall did. On a spaced floor, no one is going to stay in front of him. Shooting is a work in progress, but he made strides in his sophomore year that are encouraging. He's also a bit bigger than Donovan.

Like Donovan, I think he'll play off the ball where he's a more natural and better shooter, and he may move on-ball over time. I think he'll replace at least 80% of what Mitchell gives us. What he can do in isolation and off-the-bounce shooting is TBD. I'd want #4 and two future 1sts, but it would be a home-run trade for the Kings who want to make the playoffs this year.

My thing is that I would then offer #4 and one of the Kings' future picks to move up for Banchero.

Last edited:
My biggest fear, and what I think is the most likely situation, will be the Jazz trading Rudy for win now pieces and running the team back centered around Mitchell.

Call it a change in coaching philosophies, needing time to find the right pieces to put around Mitchell, or an injury with Mitchell trying to do too much… I think Mitchell’s value plummets next year.

The result will be the Jazz falling into mediocrity without any assets to build towards the future.

I'd like to believe that the Jazz are smarter than that and that the front office is posturing to get a huge offer on Donovan. I'd also like to believe that Quin stepped down because the Jazz are going to rebuild and Quin feels it doesn't make sense for him to go through it. Hence, not the right "path forward." It would be similar to Mike D'Antoni stepping away from Houston.

Last edited:
Tony Jones had some interesting comments during a live interview with Jake Fischer

1. Johnnie Bryant would be a good hire because he's tough and can tell Donovan no. Said he expects Bryant to be a "finalist"
  2. There is interest in Royce O'Neale but Utah is hesitant to trade him unless it's a "no brainer" because of Donovan
  3. Tony seems to be leaning towards Utah not trading Gobert, but if it happens he expects either Atlanta or Toronto. Doesnt think Chicago has much of a chance
  4. Both Jake and Tony are pretty confident Donovan is not getting moved
  5. Jake brought up the importance to Smith that Donovan is in the ASG and said it would be "big for the team" (I chuckled) if Donovan won ASG MVP
  6. Tony seems most confident that Conley gets moved because he expects Utah wants to make Donovan the full-time PG
  7. Also said Bogey has a lot of interest

Look I negotiated a trade with a Kings fan on Sunday at a BBQ... he didn't bat an eye at Don for #4, 2023 1st and Barnes (who could get you another pick or whatever). I didn't even negotiate.

You call Vivek directly... tell him you'd rather deal with him than these other assholes. Start the talks at #4, 2023 1st, Barnes... wiggle in a 2025 first or two pick swaps... like really make him feel wanted and loved. The GM will go for it because if he doesn't make the playoffs he's canned... and when you get canned in Sacramento you are headed for an assistant position somewhere or a media position. You may walk out with Davion, #4, Barnes, 2023 first and some pick swaps that turn into something amazing.

Tony Jones had some interesting comments during a live interview with Jake Fischer

1. Johnnie Bryant would be a good hire because he's tough and can tell Donovan no. Said he expects Bryant to be a "finalist"
  2. There is interest in Royce O'Neale but Utah is hesitant to trade him unless it's a "no brainer" because of Donovan
  3. Tony seems to be leaning towards Utah not trading Gobert, but if it happens he expects either Atlanta or Toronto. Doesnt think Chicago has much of a chance
  4. Both Jake and Tony are pretty confident Donovan is not getting moved
  5. Jake brought up the importance to Smith that Donovan is in the ASG and said it would be "big for the team" (I chuckled) if Donovan won ASG MVP
  6. Tony seems most confident that Conley gets moved because he expects Utah wants to make Donovan the full-time PG
  7. Also said Bogey has a lot of interest
Tony also said Hunter could become Kawhi and my brain hurt. Hunter is closer to Royce than Kawhi.

I am sorry but you HAVE to trade Royce. He is a net positive player and a starter. But he locks in your identity as a not long defender but has skills in many other areas. He has good value around the league. A year with a new coach it could vanish. He would be near the top of the list if you can get something valuable then trade him somewhere where he could compete and be happy.

On the Hoops Collective podcast Tim MacMahon says that Donovan would do the Jazz a big favor by forcing his way out of Utah this summer... says in the short term it would be very painful for the Jazz but ultimately in their best interest.

I couldn't agree more. We all know where this is ultimately headed... so just rip the band aid off now, get as many draft picks and as much young talent for him as possible and get rid of the headache of having to constantly cater to him at every turn. I think the longer we wait the less we will get back for him...if we trade him now with 3 years left on his contract teams are going to be willing to pay the premium for him. If we drag this out until he just has one year left on his deal, the return is going to be significantly less for him than what it is right now.

On the Hoops Collective podcast Tim MacMahon says that Donovan would do the Jazz a big favor by forcing his way out of Utah this summer... says in the short term it would be very painful for the Jazz but ultimately in their best interest.

I couldn't agree more. We all know where this is ultimately headed... so just rip the band aid off now, get as many draft picks and as much young talent for him as possible and get rid of the headache of having to constantly cater to him at every turn. I think the longer we wait the less we will get back for him...if we trade him now with 3 years left on his contract teams are going to be willing to pay the premium for him. If we drag this out until he just has one year left on his deal, the return is going to be significantly less for him than what it is right now.

Mitchell can't do that, or the Jazz will send him to a team like the Kings or the Thunder. He's biding his time until he has more leverage and can steer his destination.

Yes, unfortunately he is a once in a generation offensively challenged handicap.
The offense is much better run with Gobert on the floor, he somehow gets to the line a tone is a consistent double digit scorer, consistently creates wide open shots for the team, and he doesn’t bog down the offense by trying to post up that’s bad offense, but sure he’s offensively challenged just because it’s not sexy, but him on the court does nothing to hinder the offense.

The offense is much better run with Gobert on the floor, he somehow gets to the line a tone is a consistent double digit scorer, consistently creates wide open shots for the team, and he doesn’t bog down the offense by trying to post up that’s bad offense, but sure he’s offensively challenged just because it’s not sexy, but him on the court does nothing to hinder the offense.
I was referring to his individual offensive skills his ability to create and finish shots. He can't score other than off a rebound or tip in or lob. He has no go to shot or can't dribble to save his life. So if they iso him offensively he can't finish or take advantage