What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Since Bogey has a pretty wide market they likely don’t need to take on a deal like Duncan’s to get a first but I do wonder if they’d consider it if the first was unprotected far out and they got a little something more for their trouble like a pick swap. We probably don’t need another 2023 pick but the draft has such great potential I’d consider something like Duncan, 2023 unprotected and a swap in 27 with any of the three picks we have in 2027.

We also kicked around a three teamdeal here that @Elizah Huge came up with:

Utah out- Bogey and Gay
Utah in: 24 Phx first, 23 Miami 1st shamet (or Dario), Duncan

Phx out- Crowder/shamet (or Dario), 24 first
Phx in: Bogey

Miami out: Duncan, 23 first
Miami in: Crowder and Gay

I think Duncan’s deal is bad… I don’t think it’s Julius Randle levels of bad. OKC has had great luck taking on deals like Horford and CP and then getting value after a year. Duncan’s deal is longer but with the cap rising I don’t think it looks nearly this onerous in 1-2 years.

As always thanks for chiming in!
I would handcuff the salary to a semistar/allstar not a skinnier Georges Niang clone. But if they gave up 2 picks, that's tempting. Three picks heck yeah.

I would handcuff the salary to a semistar/allstar not a skinnier Georges Niang clone. But if they gave up 2 picks, that's tempting. Three picks heck yeah.
Duncan is a much better player than Niang… one of the best shooters in the league runs all game to get open and the defense watches him like a hawk… still gets off a ridiculous amount of threes because he takes tough contested ones. Hes closer to Korver than Niang. He’s not worth 18M a year currently but he’s still worth 10M+ fairly easily.

The contract length is why they’d pay a premium to get out of it… theoretically. It’s also something that could benefit us… if he has a better year it could be something that is looked at differently as the cap rises. At worst each year you will make it one year shorter.

If all it nets us is one Heat pick I think we can do better for Bogey. If it nets us 1-2 picks or a premium pick and a good swap then I’d be really tempted.

No the Jazz are very hesitant to take back the years of the contract. The money is fine. The years likely makes it a no go
The deal can't be Duncan and a future 1st but if they are willing to throw in Jovic as well then I think you do it. Duncan is an elite shooter so you let him do his thing over the next couple years during the rebuild and 2 years from now with the cap increases suddenly the last 2 years of his contract are not bad and he should be able to be moved without attaching an asset or you just keep him around because he is an elite shooter. It is a no lose situation for us because he could also be salary filler that last year in a trade as well.

Jovic and Robinson? Do we really need to corner the market on shooters who can't defend?
Jovic in the right environment/incentive structure could be a competent defender. But in either case, bad overall defense is a good way to lose games and good offense is a way to juice value for flipping a player or two down by the road.

I didn't include Jovic but he can go to a team to balance it. But I think you can get 1 Lakers unprotected, 1 pick swap, 1 unprotected from Miami 1 swap (post Butler they stink without him in the playoffs so maybe they crater for a year when Jimmy leaves. I wouldn't mind another 23 pick allstar could still be there). Maybe seconds too. It's a 4 team trade with Lakers, Pacers, Jazz and Miami. Indiana's cap room really help multi teams be creative.

Jazz lose Conley, Beasley, Bogey, Clarkson and gain Westbrook and Duncan. The Jazz start Westbrook alongside Sexton and trade him at the deadline for more draft capital - 2 unprotected 2 swaps. Phoenix would maybe eager for Duncan at the trade deadline if you take back non shooters.

Lakers get Myles Turner, Conley, and Beasley and maybe Jovic. Improves the interior defense and they get elite shooting.

Indiana gets draft capital (1 unprotected) from the Lakers and Bogey who they can trade again at the deadline to a contender. Pacers want to still win so Bogey helps

In the playoffs Butler was the only iso scorer. Jordan Clarkson will help in the playoffs for Miami.

Maybe sneak in Gay somewhere too in this. And maybe flip Clarkson's and Bogey's destinations. And maybe give the Lakers Bolmaro a defensive wing who would be surrounded by shooters giving depth in another area of weakness - Turner, AD, LeBron, Bolmaro, Beverly crazy good defense with 4 shooters.

Last edited:
The deal can't be Duncan and a future 1st but if they are willing to throw in Jovic as well then I think you do it. Duncan is an elite shooter so you let him do his thing over the next couple years during the rebuild and 2 years from now with the cap increases suddenly the last 2 years of his contract are not bad and he should be able to be moved without attaching an asset or you just keep him around because he is an elite shooter. It is a no lose situation for us because he could also be salary filler that last year in a trade as well.
Do his thing where is the question. He’s 28 years old so he’s way too old to be considered a developmental piece. And the Jazz have too many guys they need data on at the two and three spots to be wasting time putting him on the floor at their expense. I don’t know if even getting jovic compensates for that, although he’s definitely an interesting piece

Jovic in the right environment/incentive structure could be a competent defender. But in either case, bad overall defense is a good way to lose games and good offense is a way to juice value for flipping a player or two down by the road.

Yeah, it's really fine, but I do think it's funny that we already have Lauri, Bogey, Fontecchio, Beasley, Clarkson, and Sexton.

So…. When does camp start? We’ve got like 500 guards. A deal has to go down in the next week or two, right? If for no other reason than to balance the roster?

Do his thing where is the question. He’s 28 years old so he’s way too old to be considered a developmental piece. And the Jazz have too many guys they need data on at the two and three spots to be wasting time putting him on the floor at their expense. I don’t know if even getting jovic compensates for that, although he’s definitely an interesting piece
First off he wouldn't be playing the 2 at all and we can easily find him 20 minutes a game at the 3 and 4. Also it's not like we need to actually play him every game as well. As long as he continues to be one of the best shooters in the nba he will maintain a solid skillset that is desirable. Two years from now with only a couple years on his contract and a significantly higher cap he won't be a bad contract anymore. Once again it all comes back to the assets coming back though.

First off he wouldn't be playing the 2 at all and we can easily find him 20 minutes a game at the 3 and 4. Also it's not like we need to actually play him every game as well. As long as he continues to be one of the best shooters in the nba he will maintain a solid skillset that is desirable. Two years from now with only a couple years on his contract and a significantly higher cap he won't be a bad contract anymore. Once again it all comes back to the assets coming back though.
It’ll still be bad, but maybe not so bad that you have to attach an asset, more finding the perfect situation. Or maybe the assets are measured in 2nd round picks rather than 1st round picks (another reason to have them and get them when you can).

I think you can get a 1st much easier than that and not commit to a 4 year contract for a late first (Miami usually drafts in the 20s...)

There will be teams trying to dump a contract with 1 or 2 years left remaining to avoid the luxury tax (or reduce it). Just like us with Favors. You don't need to commit to a 4 year-contract for a player with no upside and a limited skill set.

Duncan isn’t an asset to the Jazz. Like I said before, the Jazz don’t care about his money. They don’t want his years. That’s why it is extremely unlikely (never say never) they will trade for him. They don’t want to take him back.

I think you can get a 1st much easier than that and not commit to a 4 year contract for a late first (Miami usually drafts in the 20s...)

There will be teams trying to dump a contract with 1 or 2 years left remaining to avoid the luxury tax (or reduce it). Just like us with Favors. You don't need to commit to a 4 year-contract for a player with no upside and a limited skill set.
That’s why what’s being discussed is (essentially) two 1sts and maybe even a little sweeter.

That’s why what’s being discussed is (essentially) two 1sts and maybe even a little sweeter.
Teams get desperate for shooting at the trade deadline so it may not cost anything to offload him especially if you get really bad non shooters back on an expiring deal. We ain't winning a lot this season so we can play these games. In a normal off season I wouldn't touch him.

Teams get desperate for shooting at the trade deadline so it may not cost anything to offload him especially if you get really bad non shooters back on an expiring deal. We ain't winning a lot this season so we can play these games. In a normal off season I wouldn't touch him.
Maybe in a very specific trade deadline situation more than a year down the line. Robinson right now has one of the worst contracts in the NBA but it will get less-bad with time.