What's new

Trade thread alert: Marvin Williams

sgjazzfan

This is more of a thread to get an idea of the options for Marvin Williams than anything else. But I was thinking that he would fit in great with Portland as their expectations are extremely high and they could definitely use the depth at SF/PF.

I was thinking that we could trade him for their 2014 first round draft pick.

Is that something the Jazz would do?
Is that something Portland would do?
Are the Jazz more likely to get a better value if trade him to a team looking to shed Salary?
Should the Jazz keep him around and try to resign him for depth in the offseason?
Are the Jazz better off just letting him walk at the end of the season and having the extra cap space?
What are some other options for Marvin Williams out there?

Hopefully Jazz are able to do something good with their expiring contracts or with their cap space. I never expected the Rush/Jefferson/Biedrins trade. I wonder what Lindsey has up his sleeves for this offseason (or midseason) with these 3 and Williams as pretty large expiring contracts (31.5 Million total).

The Jazz's priorities are (or should be):

1. Tank
2. Player development (cautiously balanced against #1)
3. Obtain assets (especially of it helps coincide with #1)
15. Make effort to keep role players around for possible place on future squad when we haven't fully secured #1

So, as you can see, it shouldn't be too hard to prioritize plans with Marvin depending on what's on the table.

The Jazz's priorities are (or should be):

1. Tank
2. Player development (cautiously balanced against #1)
3. Obtain assets (especially of it helps coincide with #1)
4. Keep role players around for possible place on future squad

So, as you can see, it shouldn't be too hard to prioritize plans with Marvin depending on what's offered.

Great post. I want DL to acquire as many picks as possible, considering that Burke and Gobert both look very promising for the future. Build a young bench behind the Core players and maybe you get lucky in a strong draft. I want to see them trade Marvin, Jefferson, Rush and maybe Biedrins if they can get anything for them. I'd even be happy with them taking on a bad 2 year contract for those expiring contracts to make that happen.

And if it helps to both develop the young guys and facilitate the tank, then all the better!

Marvin snt yields more than a #26 *****

Sign and trade does not get us another pick in this draft. If we have three picks in this draft, maybe we can move up if we need to. Or maybe we get three all stars...

Marvin Williams has quietly become the best trade asset (outside of the young core players of course) that the Jazz have heading into the trade deadline. His (1) health, (2) improved play and (3) expiring contract should make him a good bet to be dealt. I don't know if he can draw a first round pick on his own, but the Jazz should consider trying to get maximum value for him.

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't want to trade him, oh well.

I really like the guy, but he's in the last year of his contract and I don't see him resigning for a reasonable price. If they can get a quality pick for him, I think they have to take advantage of that. My guess is that he'd be brought in to help shore up a team's playoff run and then they'll let him expire to free up cap space next summer. There's nothing stopping the Jazz from offering him a contract at that point.

Lol @ everyone forgetting how terrible Wet Bandit was last year.

He's been good for like 5 games in a contract year. Calm yourselves.

dat jazzfanz.com mobile app doe

I always thought he would be a good player for us. Last year was a bad situation for him. He was playing with big al, new system, a nagging injury for who knows how long. He'd be great off the bench with his above average defense and scoring ability. He's a great locker room guy too.

What if he says yes to a 2 year 5-6 million contract?
I would keep him. I don't hate Marvin. Many of the Jazzfanz members do. Or in other words, they want to see him go at all scenarios. If he accepts a reasonable amount of money why not??

What if he says yes to a 2 year 5-6 million contract?
I would keep him. I don't hate Marvin. Many of the Jazzfanz members do. Or in other words, they want to see him go at all scenarios. If he accepts a reasonable amount of money why not??

I think that there are a lot of people on here who don't hate him. We just love the young guys and that blinds is a little bit. But if we can get a good asset for him, then we should do it.

Yup.

He totally sucked balls.
I expect him to get back to his ball suckin ways very soon..... which will help the tank.

Since lucas seems to be out, we have to really on jeffy and marv to lead the tank (along with corbin of course)

I feel like the contract year phenomenon is overblown. Devin Harris, Andrei Kirilenko, Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams are all former Jazz players who recently had average seasons on their contract years.

Marvin is simply returning to the style of play he was known for in his stint with Atlanta. Last season with the Jazz was the worst of his career, and his current production isn't out of line relative to his career.

I feel like the contract year phenomenon is overblown. Devin Harris, Andrei Kirilenko, Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams are all former Jazz players who recently had average seasons on their contract years.

Marvin is simply returning to the style of play he was known for in his stint with Atlanta. Last season with the Jazz was the worst of his career, and his current production isn't out of line relative to his career.

The contract year thing only shows up in players that coast through games, not players that give consistent effort.

Marvin has been at least 19 times more assertive this year. You may argue that is because he has to be because he is on a bad team, but then that would prove my point that we would never want to resign him because he will go back to lurking in the shadows once our team improves.

This really is an argument you cannot win, you ****ing racist.