What's new

Training Camp Invites

Stifle Tower

Punch Bowl Re-Filler
OK, after 2 summer league games, I've seen enough to establish the training camp roster. After all, I was a GM in training for a while;-)

We all know the Jazz usually carry around 16-17 into camp and 13 or 14 make the team. And the roster has to balanced to run drills and practices. For example, the Jazz WILL have a 4th PG in camp, even though he may have zero chance of sticking on the final roster.

The roster is currently at 12 counting the players signed (and deducting Bell):

C- Jefferson, Kanter
PF - Millsap, Favors, Evans
SF - Marvin Williams, Carroll
SG - Hayward, Burks
PG - Mo Williams, Watson, Tinsley

So the Jazz will need to add 4-5 players for camp. Here are the additional players I'm inviting to training camp, awaiting final approval from Mr. O'Connor:

1) Murphy: His shot has been inconsistent, but he was the 2nd-round draft pick, which means there was a reason KOC really liked him. And he has had some good practices according to media reports. He'll definitely be in camp and probably make the final roster.

2) Stockton: Has clearly outplayed Ahearn. Neither is likely to make the team, but Stockton gets the camp nod due to playing better and his local ties. Oh yeah...and his famous father. If he made the team, would John come to some of the games?

3) We need another big or perhaps two, depending on how you view Pogo. I know I'm going to get roasted for this, but I'd like a side of Sala Mejri to go with my other bigs, please. Sims is just another 6'10" player who doesn't have any special skills. Mehri is 7'1", provides a physical presence and can block or alter shots. Plus he's a good rebounder. He was the Belgian defensive player of the year. I think he's actually got a legit chance of making the roster as a developmental player in a Fes-type role.

4) IS Hayward a SG or SF? Whatever the case, I see the Jazz adding a SF to the training camp roster. And "Smash" Washington HAS to be the one. Energetic player, 6'7" without hair, almost 7'0" with. He and Carroll can have half-time competitions for "best hairdo."

HM: Gaffney. He's a nice summer-leaguer but he's pretty old. No upside. Same with Graham. These guys have been around more times than a Kardashian.

Special Consideration: John Millsap. Hey Paul, you sign an extension, we'll give your brother some exposure during training camp. Best of all, he's your older brother so every day you get to show him who's the boss now.

sims is a very good passer for a big man. that's not a skill that's going to come out a lot in the SL because it's not the most systemic atmosphere, but i'd take sims over mjrwhatever for that skill alone.

Deron Washington and Salah Mejri for me. A 7'1" defensive center. I would totally like to see him and Kanter play together during the summer league. Turkey and Tunisia playing together. They could be called Tutu!!!

I like Mejri. We need a defensive big not one who can pass, and this guy can play defense, and much better defense than Fess. The difference is he doesn't take up space like Fess. Did you see that ferocious dunk in today's game? And he did it by putting the ball on the floor, no less -- that is, he was out beyond the foul line and dribbled in like a small forward and slammed it in. I'd like to see Kanter do one of those.

I don't like stockton. We can invite anyone from the summer league to come to training camp. It's not just our summer league team. That being said I would invite Malik Waayns.

Can you please elaborate why you don't like Stock Jr?

He turns the ball over off stupid passes. He can't run the pick n roll effectively because he doesn't have the creativity or the athleticism to make plays. He is an average shooter at best against nba defenders. His shot has bad mechanics which will lead to getting blocked, and if we could sign any pg in summer league he would not be my top choice. Like i said Maalik Wayns showed much more creativity and showed he could create for his teammates more effectively.

OK, after 2 summer league games, I've seen enough to establish the training camp roster. After all, I was a GM in training for a while;-)

We all know the Jazz usually carry around 16-17 into camp and 13 or 14 make the team. And the roster has to balanced to run drills and practices. For example, the Jazz WILL have a 4th PG in camp, even though he may have zero chance of sticking on the final roster.

The roster is currently at 12 counting the players signed (and deducting Bell):

C- Jefferson, Kanter
PF - Millsap, Favors, Evans
SF - Marvin Williams, Carroll
SG - Hayward, Burks
PG - Mo Williams, Watson, Tinsley

So the Jazz will need to add 4-5 players for camp. Here are the additional players I'm inviting to training camp, awaiting final approval from Mr. O'Connor:

1) Murphy: His shot has been inconsistent, but he was the 2nd-round draft pick, which means there was a reason KOC really liked him. And he has had some good practices according to media reports. He'll definitely be in camp and probably make the final roster.

2) Stockton: Has clearly outplayed Ahearn. Neither is likely to make the team, but Stockton gets the camp nod due to playing better and his local ties. Oh yeah...and his famous father. If he made the team, would John come to some of the games?

3) We need another big or perhaps two, depending on how you view Pogo. I know I'm going to get roasted for this, but I'd like a side of Sala Mejri to go with my other bigs, please. Sims is just another 6'10" player who doesn't have any special skills. Mehri is 7'1", provides a physical presence and can block or alter shots. Plus he's a good rebounder. He was the Belgian defensive player of the year. I think he's actually got a legit chance of making the roster as a developmental player in a Fes-type role.

4) IS Hayward a SG or SF? Whatever the case, I see the Jazz adding a SF to the training camp roster. And "Smash" Washington HAS to be the one. Energetic player, 6'7" without hair, almost 7'0" with. He and Carroll can have half-time competitions for "best hairdo."

HM: Gaffney. He's a nice summer-leaguer but he's pretty old. No upside. Same with Graham. These guys have been around more times than a Kardashian.

Special Consideration: John Millsap. Hey Paul, you sign an extension, we'll give your brother some exposure during training camp. Best of all, he's your older brother so every day you get to show him who's the boss now.

Gaffney and Washington are the same age, but Gaffney is a lot better.

According to Locke Stockton has a contract to play in Germany next season. I highly doubt they are buying out his contract this year to be the 4th PG.

He turns the ball over off stupid passes. He can't run the pick n roll effectively because he doesn't have the creativity or the athleticism to make plays. He is an average shooter at best against nba defenders. His shot has bad mechanics which will lead to getting blocked, and if we could sign any pg in summer league he would not be my top choice. Like i said Maalik Wayns showed much more creativity and showed he could create for his teammates more effectively.

So you're pretty much telling us you haven't watched him play these first two summer league games. He has two turnovers in two summer league games, so how is he turning the ball over off of stupid passes? He can't run the pick and roll? What tells you that? He's not creative? He's made some pretty creative passes and slashes to the basketball in both games. In fact, I've been impressed with his creativity. He's an average shooter? Perhaps, but he's still shooting over .500 from the field so far. His shot has bad mechanics my ***. He hasn't been blocked once so far in two games. I'm not saying he's my top choice for PG for the Jazz, but at least I'm making my judgment off of watching him.

In other words, pretty much every reason you've given, Stockton Jr. has proven you wrong.

P.S. I don't even like the kid. I'm just telling you how it is.

So you're pretty much telling us you haven't watched him play these first two summer league games. He has two turnovers in two summer league games, so how is he turning the ball over off of stupid passes? He can't run the pick and roll? What tells you that? He's not creative? He's made some pretty creative passes and slashes to the basketball in both games. In fact, I've been impressed with his creativity. He's an average shooter? Perhaps, but he's still shooting over .500 from the field so far. His shot has bad mechanics my ***. He hasn't been blocked once so far in two games. I'm not saying he's my top choice for PG for the Jazz, but at least I'm making my judgment off of watching him.

In other words, pretty much every reason you've given, Stockton Jr. has proven you wrong.

P.S. I don't even like the kid. I'm just telling you how it is.

Wrong. I watched both games, in fact I have watched all the summer league games but, besides the point. He threw a super dumb *** full court pass that got stolen, he also made a half *** attempt on a pick and roll in which he missed Enes completely and it went right to the other team. So ya you can give the dumb *** stats but, I can tell you what happened. He hasn't gotten blocked because he doesn't shoot it. Please make me a highlight film of these creative passes he has been making. Also what tells me he cant do something is I watched him fail to do it. It's simple as that. He ran the pick and roll he repeatedly missed kanter rolling to the bucket because they would hedge on him and he is to small to throw it over the defender, and too slow to get around the hedge. He couldn't split the hedge either. How can you say he has good shot mechanics? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7JSgwrXEs

I admit it's not horrible but his release is low, and he brings it down super low to begin with. Didn't you even hear the commentators talking about it?
He lifted for his FT and they were like " well that was... a Funny release." So ya I did ****ing watch it. Dont make assumptions.

Also, dont ask for someones opinion if your not going to respect it.

BTW I don't even have to watch him play in the summer league. My brother was All-Conference for the Frontier with MSU-N. So trust me I have seen enough of him play

Last edited: