What's new

True PG becoming extinct?

slc

Seems like there are very few John Stockton type PGs in the league right now and very few if any coming out of college in the next few years.
What is the future for the true PG position?
Should Jazz try to get one at any cost?

Even when Stockton was in the league there were very few Stocktons. Chris Paul is probably the closest we see of a player like Stockton. When Stockton came out of college no one knew who he was.

It's not just PGs. Multi-skilled players overall are becoming more important. Look at the frontline spots as well. More and more teams are moving away from big lugs who's greatest (and sometimes only) strength was being big and taking up space and moving towards more skilled players. Guys like Chris Bosh are playing center, guys like Carmelo Anthony are playing Power Forward. etc. Being a "True" PG is almost an insult nowadays imo, meaning you CAN'T score.

Seems like there are very few John Stockton type PGs in the league right now and very few if any coming out of college in the next few years.
What is the future for the true PG position?
Should Jazz try to get one at any cost?[/QUOTE]

not at any cost, but they should definitely focus on that. Sheved (or however you spell his name) should be someone the jazz should look into as well as Vasquez. They are atop my list of the best young pg's in the league.

jose calderon is a true pg. ive been proposing to trade for him forever here but people dont really like it. truth = people dont want true pgs, they want pgs with talent, if that just so happens to be a talented 'true' pg, so be it.

Real PGs need to continue to exist. There should be one guy on the floor at all times whose first job is to setup his teammates. Bob Cousy knew what he was doing.

Real PGs need to continue to exist. There should be one guy on the floor at all times whose first job is to setup his teammates. Bob Cousy knew what he was doing.

I agree completely. It shouldn't be that much different than a quarterback. It obviously is different, but it shouldn't be considered an optional position on the court.

not at any cost, but they should definitely focus on that. Sheved (or however you spell his name) should be someone the jazz should look into as well as Vasquez. They are atop my list of the best young pg's in the league.
Wait for scouting report on Shved to get out there and he will become yet another unimpressive chucker.

jose calderon is a true pg. ive been proposing to trade for him forever here but people dont really like it. truth = people dont want true pgs, they want pgs with talent, if that just so happens to be a talented 'true' pg, so be it.
I actualy like him a lot, but he's a little older and only a short term fix. If I had to choose between him and And Mo I'd go with Calderon. Most on here want the pg of the future, and that's not Calderon.
Wait for scouting report on Shved to get out there and he will become yet another unimpressive chucker.

can't you say that about any young pg though.