What's new

TV ratings and Green Plastic Chairs

mellow

I have been a little nervous watching the games on TV this season noticing all the empty chairs at the ESA. I started paying attention to the other arenas and noticed alot of empty seats in almost every case.

I keep hearing that people would rather watch the games in high-def big screen than go to the arena and deal with parking, crowds and expensive food.

So are the Jazz empty seats because people are staying home to watch?

According to this article....maybe.

Jazz are 4th in the league for average TV ratings at 4.7. But this number is down 16% from the 2010 season.

So alot of fans are watching the games but the trend is in the wrong direnction. The jazz have to know this, and I wonder what impact it will have on the decisions to keep certain players.

It's the economy, stupid.

Ok I didn't mean to call you stupid, I just wanted to use that expression.

But what you're saying is that the whole league is trending down. But we're doing among the best in the midst of the league wide trend. So I think that would actually be encouraging to the Jazz.

So the only 3 above us in ratings are the 3 prime contenders for the year (OKC, SA, Miami). I'd say that reflects really well on us and our passion especially since we only have a middle of the road team.

It's that nobody likes the Jefferson and Sap centered team. Everyone knows we have no chance of going anywhere.

The short term solution is to start blacking out games - but I doubt that will happen.

I know this will piss some folks off here but this is probably why it is no longer viable to have a team in Utah.

The combination of top shelf, inexpensive home entertainment systems and the weather in Utah have made going to the games less and less intuitive. With the burgeoning social media generation I doubt they'll be able to draw flies within 10 years.

Well - New Jersey needs a team.

Top 4 in ratings = no longer viable team? huhhh?????!!?¿¿

How about you pick on a team that's low on ratings And attendance. I guess lots of other teams are no longer "viable" either!

The short term solution is to start blacking out games - but I doubt that will happen.

I know this will piss some folks off here but this is probably why it is no longer viable to have a team in Utah.

The combination of top shelf, inexpensive home entertainment systems and the weather in Utah have made going to the games less and less intuitive. With the burgeoning social media generation I doubt they'll be able to draw flies within 10 years.

Yeah cuz New Jersey drew great home crowds

The crowd is only down due to the lack of excitement with the team.... Once the young guys get their minutes we will be sold out almost every game..... Book it!!

So will Sacramento.

As to whether it is part of a trend, or due to the economy, or due to fans being bored with Milsap/Al....I can only speak for myself when I say it is the economy and the family that keeps me from attending, its the family that causes me to turn off the game.

I just hope the jazz have done thier homework so they know, and are not guessing, why attendance and ratings are down.

Average house hold watching

Charlotte SportSouth 7,200 (-2,200)

So the bobcats might have more people in there areana watching then at home.... Wow!!

I think many teams blackout games. If the Jazz crowd keeps shrinking I'm sure that will be the next step.

So will Sacramento.

As to whether it is part of a trend, or due to the economy, or due to fans being bored with Milsap/Al....I can only speak for myself when I say it is the economy and the family that keeps me from attending, its the family that causes me to turn off the game.

I just hope the jazz have done thier homework so they know, and are not guessing, why attendance and ratings are down.
Time to trade the family for one that loves basketball.

My daughter, who is now subject to peer pressure at school, always asks me why I like the Jazz instead of the Lakers (I live in the LA area). Not wanting to have "THAT discussion," I can't fully disclose why I hate Kobe so much. I just tell her it's because some of the players on the Lakers aren't very nice people.

Cool thing is, now that she's started to play city basketball, she actually opted to watch the Jazz game with me last week instead of watching Sponge Bob or playing her DS. I can be proud of her again! ;-)

But the Jazz have the best home crowd in the NBA right?? Right??

In my opinion, not anymore. I say Utah is top 5 maybe even top 2 or 3. Best home crowd in my opinion belongs to OKC.

It is so cool to see the whole crowd in matching shirts during playoff games. I'd love to see a crowd stuffed full of Utah Jazz green or blue during the playoffs.

The Jazz will get back in it when they start winning a lot more and we're trending as a team in the right direction.

Time to trade the family for one that loves basketball.

My daughter, who is now subject to peer pressure at school, always asks me why I like the Jazz instead of the Lakers (I live in the LA area). Not wanting to have "THAT discussion," I can't fully disclose why I hate Kobe so much. I just tell her it's because some of the players on the Lakers aren't very nice people.

Cool thing is, now that she's started to play city basketball, she actually opted to watch the Jazz game with me last week instead of watching Sponge Bob or playing her DS. I can be proud of her again! ;-)

Can't trade 'em, for some unexplicalbe reason I like them, kind of like the Jazz and Jarron Collins. Anyway things are tight, so the wifey downgraded cable as far we could and still keep Root Sports--Comcast ought to be giving Greg Miller a really nice Christmas gift each year. My kids allow me to watch most games, even if they don't. Sometimes the game is on but muted while I help with homework. Its kind of embarassing when you tell your 6 yr old to keep reading and she says"Dad, I finished the book 5 minutes ago, didn't you hear the ending?"--yep, I sure did sweetheart.

Average house hold watching

Charlotte SportSouth 7,200 (-2,200)

So the bobcats might have more people in there areana watching then at home.... Wow!!

And half of those are the ppl Jordan flies out to rub in their face they shouldn't been picked over him in tag in kindergarden