What's new

Un**** the talk

Ineptimusprime

Let’s un**** the talk. The talk needs to be back. The truth is this team needs major change in the worst way. Call your shot — what happens this offseason?

Not sure what the Jazz can do tbh. Conley has an expiring, right? So there’s that. Maybe we can get a pick for that? But then we need to make that pick count and not draft garbage like Doka or Butler. We need real length and athleticism.

Don gets traded if he wants to leave.

Most likely, Rudy gets traded to Atlanta or Charlotte. Maybe elsewhere, but he fits best there.

Conley and Bojan should get traded while they still have limited value as solid playing expirings, but not sure where that is.

Build around Don if he's here. Build around the draft if he isn't.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Sam Presti spent the last few years getting 26 picks over the next decade. How about we flip them two all stars for 8 of those picks. We then swap Conley and Bogdonovic for Dort and another 2 first rounders.

Then we get a first round pick for Gay and have everyone in the league sell us picks to take their salary.

REEEEEEEEESETIT!

How many first round picks do the Jazz have to give up to get rid of Conley?
Mitchell will probably go to a bad east team for a bunch of picks and a young guy. I think Knicks or Pistons.
Royce would probably get moved as a throw in or a future 1st or 2nd round pick.
Jazz need point guards, a 2nd scorer after Mitchell is gone. A real wing defender.
Quin is 50/50 gone. Terry Stotts is my guess for replacement.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Conley is NOT an expiring. He's fully guaranteed 45mil for 2023 and 2024 seasons. He has negative trade value at this point. No team want a guy on his contract when they can just go get any washed former AS or even MVP candidates on a vet minimum.

Conley is NOT an expiring. He's fully guaranteed 45mil for 2023 and 2024 seasons. He has negative trade value at this point. No team want a guy on his contract when they can just go get any washed former AS or even MVP candidates on a vet minimum.
The last year is only partially guaranteed.

Have been thinking about this for a while. They could go a number of ways from staying the course to wholesale changes. But here is how I think it' going to go down. (warning long post inc. and suffering from lack of sleep so some of this might just be seen as rambling)

- Quin leaves/fired. Don't know what one but think his time is up. I think he's an above average coach but gets in his own way far too often. Who replaces him? IDK. Could be Jensen, could bring back someone like Johnnie Bryant or there could be someone out of left field that Ainge desperately wants.

- Don potentially stays. I say potentially because anything can happen. He could demand a trade or the Jazz say you are the franchise and we are going to tear it down and build it from the ground up with you in mind. I said in another thread but if he requests a trade then trade him for the biggest return you can possibly get regardless of destination. I do see a potential trade if someone like the Knicks jump into the top 4 in the lottery and Ainge is the one who initiates a deal with them for that pick+ regardless if Donovan wants out or not. Would be seen as a win win for all around. But I definitely see a path where Donovan stays as he seems to be the type of player that Ainge likes to go after in a guard spot.

- Rudy is traded. Let me preface this with saying I'm not on either team Rudy or team Don. I'm on team I just want to see the Jazz win a championship in my lifetime. I don't want Rudy traded but he'll be the sacrificial lamb imo. He's about to be 30 and his contract is only going up and up. Yes he raises the teams defensive floor to elite levels on his own but he himself having minimal offensive game hurts so much. I'm not expecting him to be Embiid on offense but if he had the offensive game that Whiteside has then we're probably not talking about any of this. Yes I know screen assists and all that but in terms of pure offense if that ball isn't on a platter for him at the rim then it's a problem. In a vacuum Don and Rudy cover each others weakness pretty well so it sucks that it's gonna end like this. The major problem has been the FO screwing up building up the rest of the roster. I don't see a path to where you can turn this roster from what it currently is into an effective lineup full of long, athletic players that can be effective on both sides of the ball. By the time that happens it's going to be too late and Rudy would be in major decline IMO. If Donovan is traded I think Rudy is gone as well and the full rebuild goes into effect. Only way Rudy isn't traded is if you get a top 4 pick in return for Donovan and truly believe that player you pick can replace Donovan's production within 2 years.

- Find this teams Batman regardless of if you keep or trade Donovan. I say that because IMO on a championship winning team Donovan is a Robin to someone else Batman. Donovan is the #2 on a championship caliber team. He's an elite bucket getter but is lacking in many aspects. You need to find your version of a Kawhi or Giannis. How you find that player without the assets the Jazz have who knows. Do you go nuclear and trade everything in risk of becoming the Kings? Do you trade Donovan in hopes you get a top 4 pick + a boatload of other picks and in return and hope that player can become a star? Do you trade Rudy for some meh players and meh picks and hope you hit the jackpot with a mid-late pick? (If we do trade Rudy I don't think it's to a lottery team but a playoff team ready to make the next jump so picks aren't going to be a premium)

All in all I'm excited for this offseason. It should bring some much needed changes that should've happened long ago. I am afraid though that with the players we have locked into the contracts they have that there's a very slim possibility the FO sits on their hands once again delaying the inevitable just because they know with this roster it guarantees playoff basketball which would be catastrophic IMO.

Have been thinking about this for a while. They could go a number of ways from staying the course to wholesale changes. But here is how I think it' going to go down. (warning long post inc. and suffering from lack of sleep so some of this might just be seen as rambling)

- Quin leaves/fired. Don't know what one but think his time is up. I think he's an above average coach but gets in his own way far too often. Who replaces him? IDK. Could be Jensen, could bring back someone like Johnnie Bryant or there could be someone out of left field that Ainge desperately wants.

- Don potentially stays. I say potentially because anything can happen. He could demand a trade or the Jazz say you are the franchise and we are going to tear it down and build it from the ground up with you in mind. I said in another thread but if he requests a trade then trade him for the biggest return you can possibly get regardless of destination. I do see a potential trade if someone like the Knicks jump into the top 4 in the lottery and Ainge is the one who initiates a deal with them for that pick+ regardless if Donovan wants out or not. Would be seen as a win win for all around. But I definitely see a path where Donovan stays as he seems to be the type of player that Ainge likes to go after in a guard spot.

- Rudy is traded. Let me preface this with saying I'm not on either team Rudy or team Don. I'm on team I just want to see the Jazz win a championship in my lifetime. I don't want Rudy traded but he'll be the sacrificial lamb imo. He's about to be 30 and his contract is only going up and up. Yes he raises the teams defensive floor to elite levels on his own but he himself having minimal offensive game hurts so much. I'm not expecting him to be Embiid on offense but if he had the offensive game that Whiteside has then we're probably not talking about any of this. Yes I know screen assists and all that but in terms of pure offense if that ball isn't on a platter for him at the rim then it's a problem. In a vacuum Don and Rudy cover each others weakness pretty well so it sucks that it's gonna end like this. The major problem has been the FO screwing up building up the rest of the roster. I don't see a path to where you can turn this roster from what it currently is into an effective lineup full of long, athletic players that can be effective on both sides of the ball. By the time that happens it's going to be too late and Rudy would be in major decline IMO. If Donovan is traded I think Rudy is gone as well and the full rebuild goes into effect. Only way Rudy isn't traded is if you get a top 4 pick in return for Donovan and truly believe that player you pick can replace Donovan's production within 2 years.

- Find this teams Batman regardless of if you keep or trade Donovan. I say that because IMO on a championship winning team Donovan is a Robin to someone else Batman. Donovan is the #2 on a championship caliber team. He's an elite bucket getter but is lacking in many aspects. You need to find your version of a Kawhi or Giannis. How you find that player without the assets the Jazz have who knows. Do you go nuclear and trade everything in risk of becoming the Kings? Do you trade Donovan in hopes you get a top 4 pick + a boatload of other picks and in return and hope that player can become a star? Do you trade Rudy for some meh players and meh picks and hope you hit the jackpot with a mid-late pick? (If we do trade Rudy I don't think it's to a lottery team but a playoff team ready to make the next jump so picks aren't going to be a premium)

All in all I'm excited for this offseason. It should bring some much needed changes that should've happened long ago. I am afraid though that with the players we have locked into the contracts they have that there's a very slim possibility the FO sits on their hands once again delaying the inevitable just because they know with this roster it guarantees playoff basketball which would be catastrophic IMO.
That is a really good post and a very fair assessment of everything going on.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app