What's new

Upcoming Offseason

margodydek

I have a few thoughts about the upcoming offseason, but I'll delve into just one. Can someone explain why most people/fans believe that we will bring back either Millsap or Jefferson? This makes no sense to me. If you bring back even one of them, then that means either Favors or Kanter will be coming off the bench for another 4-5 years, or we will most likely be shopping one of the two youngsters.

Am I wrong to think that the most logical scenario is that they're both gone with hopefully the Jazz getting a TE for one, if not both of these guys?

The only circumstance you bring Sap back is if he understands and is ok with coming off the bench. Al is gone fo sho.

Yeah, Sap as a super-sub would be great. Doubt he wants that, though. There will be a s&t market for him. I hope do that + draft WCS, and roll with Favs, Kanter, WCS, and Evans.

If you want to make it happen, you can play three bigs 32 MPG. The caveat there is you either have a set rotation (i.e. This Guy starts while That Guy finishes with one starter that also finishes), or you play it by ear completely by how the game goes.

I think Millsap can be on board to come off the bench so long as he can still play and he knows it's happening for reasons greater than sheer potential.

I understand the concern, though, and share it to a degree, myself.

My concern with bringing back Sap is more the salary side of things. If Kanter and Favors are both making 11ish/yr maybe more, and Sap is making 10-12, we have half of our cap tied up in three players who can't really be on the floor at the same time. That's not good.

If you want to make it happen, you can play three bigs 32 MPG. The caveat there is you either have a set rotation (i.e. This Guy starts while That Guy finishes with one starter that also finishes), or you play it by ear completely by how the game goes.

I think Millsap can be on board to come off the bench so long as he can still play and he knows it's happening for reasons greater than sheer potential.

I understand the concern, though, and share it to a degree, myself.

I totally agree. And my main concern would have to do with psychological development and even there, it's twofold. Millsap's mere presence, even if everyone is told he's coming off the bench, will naturally produce curiosity about whether he could become the starter if one of the young guys struggles. They don't need that in their rearview imo. Especially on a team that seems so intent on staying afloat. If one of them even starts to sink, I could see our coach or FO having Millsap start to right the ship. Secondly, our young guys need to know how to develop, fight through times, grow together, sort of how OKC did. There are going to be bumps but I want to see how they handle those tough times, and the good ones too, both individually and collectively. IMO, Millsap there as the glue will hinder that development more than help it. Sort of how the oldest child is typically the most successful in life because, for the most part, they learn on their own without an older brother or sister to show them the way and spoonfeed them. I want our young guys to start and figure it out on their own without some "equal" who gets 32 minutes a night trying to show them. It's their team and I want them to feel that way without Millsap impeding. The only vets I'd want are guys who know it's not their team, much like OKC kept Collison and added Perkins.

I have a few thoughts about the upcoming offseason, but I'll delve into just one. Can someone explain why most people/fans believe that we will bring back either Millsap or Jefferson? This makes no sense to me. If you bring back even one of them, then that means either Favors or Kanter will be coming off the bench for another 4-5 years, or we will most likely be shopping one of the two youngsters.

Am I wrong to think that the most logical scenario is that they're both gone with hopefully the Jazz getting a TE for one, if not both of these guys?
TPE's are largely a thing of the past.
I have to admit I was once in the camp of believing you could keep Millsap OR Jefferson and that would solve the big man problem (Kanter, Favors, and Al or Paul ALL get 30+ mins). However, I think we've seen that no matter who plays when Al is at the 5 has a terrible game. Put DeMarre, Gordon, Marvin Williams, etc. with the subs and they magically have solid games. Make them starters and they're suddenly scrubs. Yes, Utah is very thin at the 4/5 IF/WHEN Al and Paul leave. Jazz will definitely need to pick up a 3rd big (a PF/C type). But I'm now convinced this is the direction the Jazz are leaning, as Corbin has given time recently to both Marvin and Jeremy. Those two have shown the ability to play 5-10 mins as needed as the 4th big.

I now strongly believe the intention of the FO is to tank next year to get a chance at Parker. He would be a marketing goliath in Utah if there is such a thing. I think they have been waiting for next season to rebuild all along. Add in a few draft picks this year and sign and trade Milsap and anything else besides the C4 for Bledsoe and I think we will be back in the hunt by 2015. We would be good for a long time.

I think this because this is the Jazz FO we are talking about.

I think we can only hope that both are gone, but I can't shake the idea that one will be back for continuity sake. However, they won't overpay. As much as I would like to see Favors and Kanter start next year and maybe end up with a high lottery pick, I like the idea of adding Gasol (salary dump trade by LA, though I wish they had more we could extract from them, maybe Jordan Hill).

I think we can only hope that both are gone, but I can't shake the idea that one will be back for continuity sake. However, they won't overpay. As much as I would like to see Favors and Kanter start next year and maybe end up with a high lottery pick, I like the idea of adding Gasol (salary dump trade by LA, though I wish they had more we could extract from them, maybe Jordan Hill).

I actually like that idea alot. Kanter, Favors, Gasol would be an awesome front court

If you're concerned that Millsap makes it hard to commit to Kanter and Favors, the prospect of Gasol should terrify.

If you're concerned that Millsap makes it hard to commit to Kanter and Favors, the prospect of Gasol should terrify.

I disagree with this. While I would like the Jazz to just cut bait at this point and start Favors and Kanter (even if it means taking a step backward), I would not be totally against doing a S&T with Gasol. You bring back Millsap (or Al), and you're bringing them back for 4-5 years. Gasol is just one more year, and it protects you from overspending in this offseason (crappy FA's) and allows you to do make your big splash in FA during the subsequent FA period (much better FAs).

Thinking about this, this actually makes a lot of sense. The only way it doesn't make sense is if you truly believe that a couple of the "Core 4" can develop into All NBAers. I still think they're all fringe All-Stars (with Kanter having the highest ceiling).

Try like hell to get Sap to agree to the sort of deal being discussed here.
Resign Carroll
Let Al, Foye and Watson walk.
Resign Tinsley as the 3rd string PG.
Make Marvin a bench player.
Start Favors, Burks and Kanter.
Make Sap, Hayward and Marvin the main bench guys.
Try like hell to use all that cap space to land a true threat at PG. If that fails then try like hell for a SF.

Hold head coach interviews and get a decent coach in here.

Try like hell to get Sap to agree to the sort of deal being discussed here.
Resign Carroll
Let Al, Foye and Watson walk.
Resign Tinsley as the 3rd string PG.
Make Marvin a bench player.
Start Favors, Burks and Kanter.
Make Sap, Hayward and Marvin the main bench guys.
Try like hell to use all that cap space to land a true threat at PG. If that fails then try like hell for a SF.

Hold head coach interviews and get a decent coach in here.

If it works out like this I will be Stoked ... see what I did there ... Stoked! Get it!?!?

I now strongly believe the intention of the FO is to tank next year to get a chance at Parker. He would be a marketing goliath in Utah if there is such a thing. I think they have been waiting for next season to rebuild all along. Add in a few draft picks this year and sign and trade Milsap and anything else besides the C4 for Bledsoe and I think we will be back in the hunt by 2015. We would be good for a long time.

Can we really be bad enough (without including the players on our little scheme) to get a top 3/4 pick?

We'll have to bring in someone serviceable to rotate in and a decent big man off the bench can easily cost 6-9 million per year so if Millsap accepted around 8-9 million then why not. Al won't accept that, but Paul might if the market dries up and we offer a fourth year.

Can we really be bad enough (without including the players on our little scheme) to get a top 3/4 pick?

I cannot see a way of the Jazz being a top 1-3 pick unless one of two things happens.

1. They tank, hard.
2. They miss the playoffs and hit the lottery jackpot.

I simply do not see them being top 3 bad in the league. Not with teams like Washington, Charlotte, Phoenix, New Orleans...

I was hoping to keep Sap earlier this year when I thought Favors was ready to start and Kanter needed a little more time.... Recently Kanter has shown he can compete with starters night after night. Sap off the bench would be great. Does Ty have what it takes to make that happen?