What's new

Uplifting Stories

ubgsuoJ.gif

This reminds me of a story from many, many years ago...

I was probably in my late teens or early 20's. It was midweek from what I remember and it was around 11:30pm and pouring. This is when LA still had rain. Anyway, I was driving home from my girlfriend's place.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...2!3m1!1s0x80c296b7b0df092d:0x7afa23169ca8691b

I was on Sheldon St. between Roscoe and Arleta. Back then that was a very desolate area and on the boundary of a semi-good area and a bad one. I was in my first car, a 1986 S-10 blazer. I was driving south and had a blowout. As a result I hit the curb and damaged my car. We didn't have cell phones at the time so I knew I had to walk in the pouring rain towards Roscoe Blvd. and find a pay phone. Walking the other way was a no go as that took me into territory that I did not want to be in.

So, I started walking. I was completely soaked and just waned the night to be over. As I'm walking down the street this Monte Carlo pulls up along side me. I instantly thought I was going to get "checked" (i.e. where you from, holmes?) and subsequently killed. The passenger window rolls down and sure enough there's cholo staring at me. I thought I was ****ed. Instead of checking me he asked if I needed a ride. I didn't know what to think. Were they going to get me into the car and then kill me? Who knew. But I was soaked and was tired. I didn't feel like walking anymore. So, I said ok and got into the car. The driver was a cholo as well. They didn't say much but asked what happened to my car. While responding, I noticed a bible on their dashboard. Towards the end of the ride the passenger said and I remember this like it was yesterday, "We just came from a church meeting and this is our good deed for the day." They dropped me off at a gas station, I said thank you and they drove off. I always wondered about those two dudes and if they were able to do good and get out of that life they were fighting against. I'll never know.
Good story.
Before i moved to LA, I came for a visit (my sisters live there) and had a female friend with me. We had car trouble (alternator) and took a wrong exit. It was getting late and we were in a pretty dicey area. I was more concerned for her safety than mine, but I did feel start feeling quite alarmed for both of us. An asian couple pulled in behind us (they were in their 50's, I'd guess) told us we needed to get out of the area as fast as we could and said they would follow us to safety. Couldn't thank them enough!

What a great video. Thanks for this.

I try to find inspiration or outlook in almost all places. It's one of the main reasons I love reading all sort of subjects. Anyway, I was perusing the comments section of that video. This is not always a great idea as the dregs of society are usually found in these areas. Anyway, I came across this comment:

Z5KhwaA.png

What an absolutely simple yet powerful statement. There are so many so called Christians or religious folks in our society who preach the tenets of their respective religion but rarely live their life according to the rules they preach. It's the usual, do as I say, not as I do type of thinking. I've said this before here on the board but as an Atheist, I have no qualms in following the teachings of Jesus. Most if not all that Jesus preached is hard to argue against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNhCjA0pdU

California Conservation Corps members Antwon McCoy and Leonard Patton aren't just hard workers. They are also very good dancers who have taught their big nature nerd/mountain man boss (John Griffith) more than a few dance moves (song is Ay Ladies by Travis Porter). When they aren't busting moves, all three do a lot of trail building, salmon habitat restoration, and tree planting in the CCC. John Griffith is also the author of a fast-paced, multicultural eco-fantasy novel for readers ten and up titled "Totem Magic: Going MAD." (TotemMagic.com). John donates 100% of the proceeds of his book to wildlife care centers, and groups that promote ethnic/racial diversity within the conservation movement.

I found this going through some old files today:

THE COLD WITHIN

Six humans trapped by happenstance in bleak and bitter cold,
Each one possessed a stick of wood, or so the story’s told.

Their dying fire in need of logs, the first man held his back,
For of the faces round the fire, he noticed one was black.

The next man looking ‘cross the way, saw one not of his church
And couldn’t bring himself to give the fire his stick of birch.

The third one sat in tattered clothes, he gave his coat a hitch.
Why should his log be put to use to warm the idle rich?

The rich man just sat back and thought of wealth he had in store,
And how to keep what he had earned from the lazy, shiftless poor.

The last man of this forlorn group did naught except for gain,
Giving only to those who gave was how he played the game.

Their logs held tight in death’s still hand was proof of human sin,
They didn’t die from cold without--- they died from cold within.

Anonymous

I found this going through some old files today:

THE COLD WITHIN

Six humans trapped by happenstance in bleak and bitter cold,
Each one possessed a stick of wood, or so the story’s told.

Their dying fire in need of logs, the first man held his back,
For of the faces round the fire, he noticed one was black.

The next man looking ‘cross the way, saw one not of his church
And couldn’t bring himself to give the fire his stick of birch.

The third one sat in tattered clothes, he gave his coat a hitch.
Why should his log be put to use to warm the idle rich?

The rich man just sat back and thought of wealth he had in store,
And how to keep what he had earned from the lazy, shiftless poor.

The last man of this forlorn group did naught except for gain,
Giving only to those who gave was how he played the game.

Their logs held tight in death’s still hand was proof of human sin,
They didn’t die from cold without--- they died from cold within.

Anonymous

Love this! Thanks for adding.

On one Boardwalk Empire episode this season, when Nucky was reminiscing about his childhood, they referenced some poem being read. I guess I was not the only one who resonated with the poem because I found others online who inquired about it as well. Ooh! Look what I found while I was looking for the poem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjVPrj0ccxc

I find it odd that a juvenile record was available to the public.

I thought the same thing until I came across some comment on some news media's website that stated NC is one of two states in the union where 16 is considered an adult in the legal of framework of the state.

I thought the same thing until I came across some comment on some news media's website that stated NC is one of two states in the union where 16 is considered an adult in the legal of framework of the state.

Ahh.