What's new

US Open

What the hell is wrong with you people? Talk about having absolutely no class, just feel terrible for that young Japanese girl.

To answer your question, we are angry and we don't know how to deal with negative emotion. We all need a time out. I'll take mine in Hawaii.

Why can't they have woman umpires for all women's matches
That seems like this would eliminate any sexist type accusations

Whatever gave you the idea that women treat other women kindly?

(Yes, I realize I'm a bit negative about human nature today)

Lots of talks about the cartoon below, what do you guys think? Is it sexist and racist?

(Drawn by an Aussie)

Lots of talks about the cartoon below, what do you guys think? Is it sexist and racist?

(Drawn by an Aussie)

I don’t think it’s either

Reactions: MVP
I don't think the cartoonist made the drawing with racial or sexists intentions. It's weird living in a time where everything is automatically pretty much assumed to be racists, offensive, sexists, etc. I've seen people explain why the cartoon is racists. They say it's racists because of how the drawing depicts Serena physically. I think they forget that cartoons often exaggerates and puts emphasis on people's physical traits as well as the situation.

If you get on YouTube and look up Williams' behavior during her tennis games, it's pretty clear, she lets her emotion get the better of her. My favorite is from a video from either 07 or 09 where she gets in trouble for yelling at the crowd. She's talking to the same guy that just penalized her in her last match and he and some other lady tell her people were saying Serena said she was going to kill someone. She's all like, "I never said I was going to kill them" and then some lady in the stands yells out in the background, "Yes, you did!" haha I thought that was pretty funny.

Reactions: MVP
BTW Douchebag K when is your punishment over? I kind of already forgot what was your original nick? Maybe you should just stick to this one?

I saw a video of the incidents in the 2nd set. Personally, I wouldn't have given Serena the third code violation that cost her a full game. If Serena pulls out that set, it's a completely different match. If I were the umpire, I would have given Serena a stern warning letting her know this would be her third code violation and it would cost her a game. If Serena then continues to go on and on, disrupting the match and forcing me to issue the code, then I'd do it.

Edit: Here's the video. Osaka broke Williams to go up 4 - 3. So Williams was already in trouble.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know how many % supports Serena and how many % supports the umpire...

Also what that % is in the US compared to other countries.

Anyone else saw what the ref is paid for the match? Something like $680 for the whole match.

Serena is paid more per second.

I saw a video of the incidents in the 2nd set. Personally, I wouldn't have given Serena the third code violation that cost her a full game. If Serena pulls out that set, it's a completely different match. If I were the umpire, I would have given Serena a stern warning letting her know this would be her third code violation and it would cost her a game. If Serena then continues to go on and on, disrupting the match and forcing me to issue the code, then I'd do it.

Edit: Here's the video. Osaka broke Williams to go up 4 - 3. So Williams was already in trouble.

She did went on and on... and on... and on... and... on... it seemed to me the umpire gave her enough warning.

BTW Douchebag K when is your punishment over? I kind of already forgot what was your original nick? Maybe you should just stick to this one?

hmmm good point dude. Downunder i might take suggestions before the season starts, i feel like the coming epic era of Jazz basketball requires something fitting ???

"(The cartoonist) completely missed the point of why (Serena Williams) was upset. It was about her integrity, and anybody who doesn't get that is perpetuating the erasure that so many black women feel when they are trying to speak up for themselves. It's like our opinions don't matter."

I read this on an ESPN article published this morning. My question is, she was defending not being coached, right? But then her coach admitted to coaching her, right? Am I missing something? But her integrity, right?

I'm glad the Aussie paper reprinted the cartoon. I hear they are even more PC than the US.

Lastly, why the **** can a coach not coach his player during a match? Is this real life?

"(The cartoonist) completely missed the point of why (Serena Williams) was upset. It was about her integrity, and anybody who doesn't get that is perpetuating the erasure that so many black women feel when they are trying to speak up for themselves. It's like our opinions don't matter."

I read this on an ESPN article published this morning. My question is, she was defending not being coached, right? But then her coach admitted to coaching her, right? Am I missing something? But her integrity, right?

I'm glad the Aussie paper reprinted the cartoon. I hear they are even more PC than the US.

Lastly, why the **** can a coach not coach his player during a match? Is this real life?

Good post.

I agree with your last sentence. Also, I watched lots of tennis back in the day and I never knew they even had coaches.