What's new

Using Gobert In Offense

Truth

Jazz should move away from Gobert pick and roll. They need him to last the season. He is at risk of getting worn out or hurt in the pick and roll, and for what? If he gets hurt the Jazz are done. Let him just stay near the basket for rebounds and passes, like Houston does with their centers. It's an easier pass for guys that penetrate and draw Gobert's man. Less wear and tear on Gobert. Just hit him when he is open under the basket. Simple. Boom, the rest of the team starts hitting midrange shots, and getting more shots for Gobert because he is always near the basket.

Jazz should move away from Gobert pick and roll. They need him to last the season. He is at risk of getting worn out or hurt in the pick and roll, and for what? If he gets hurt the Jazz are done. Let him just stay near the basket for rebounds and passes, like Houston does with their centers. It's an easier pass for guys that penetrate and draw Gobert's man. Less wear and tear on Gobert. Just hit him when he is open under the basket. Simple. Boom, the rest of the team starts hitting midrange shots, and getting more shots for Gobert because he is always near the basket.

So just have donovan become harden?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Gobert is number 1 in pick and rolls and "getting assists from people scoring" from setting screens. Let's have him stand in a corner and shoot 3s

As ridiculous as it sounds I do think we should mix it up a bit more. Rudy's guy drops off him on the pick or DHO which has its benefits, but also clogs the paint when DM and Conley drive. It almost makes it harder for the ball handler at times because they have to worry about the guy from behind and the shot blocker and there isn't as much room to make the pass.

If he hangs in the dunkers spot a bit more then we might put bigs in a bigger bind by making them pick either Rudy or the ball handler. Doesn't mean we have to go iso every time... you can have Bojan set the pick and then its a pick and pop or pick and roll... Long story short... I think there are times we are too predictable and some variation may get us out of the vicious floater cycle we get in at times.

Gobert is number 1 in pick and rolls and "getting assists from people scoring" from setting screens. Let's have him stand in a corner and shoot 3s

He's number 1 in total screen assists... he sets a ton of screens. As a roll man he is in the 57th percentile... he shoots 64% and has a fairly sizeable turnover frequency. He is really good, but is limited. He was much higher last year... in the 93rd percentile.

Our pick and roll ball handlers might be the issue or it might be a defensive adjustment. DM has been good in the pick and roll as a shooter... Mike, Joe, and Bojan have been bad.

Rudy could still set a bunch of picks for offball action or do DHO actions... but there are nights we should mix it up a bit more.

He's number 1 in total screen assists... he sets a ton of screens. As a roll man he is in the 57th percentile... he shoots 64% and has a fairly sizeable turnover frequency. He is really good, but is limited. He was much higher last year... in the 93rd percentile.

Our pick and roll ball handlers might be the issue or it might be a defensive adjustment. DM has been good in the pick and roll as a shooter... Mike, Joe, and Bojan have been bad.

Rudy could still set a bunch of picks for offball action or do DHO actions... but there are nights we should mix it up a bit more.
Agreed.

As ridiculous as it sounds I do think we should mix it up a bit more. Rudy's guy drops off him on the pick or DHO which has its benefits, but also clogs the paint when DM and Conley drive. It almost makes it harder for the ball handler at times because they have to worry about the guy from behind and the shot blocker and there isn't as much room to make the pass.

If he hangs in the dunkers spot a bit more then we might put bigs in a bigger bind by making them pick either Rudy or the ball handler. Doesn't mean we have to go iso every time... you can have Bojan set the pick and then its a pick and pop or pick and roll... Long story short... I think there are times we are too predictable and some variation may get us out of the vicious floater cycle we get in at times.
We were starting to see some of this variation, but it has fallen away.

We were starting to see some of this variation, but it has fallen away.

And it is honestly more about who is running the pick and roll than anything Rudy is doing... but I think we need to mix it up a bit more... the lob has disappeared this season.

Uh, they have done just that this year WAY more than they did last year.

I agree with you somewhat.
Do what you are saying some of the time but still do a lot of pick and roll with him too

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

And it is honestly more about who is running the pick and roll than anything Rudy is doing... but I think we need to mix it up a bit more... the lob has disappeared this season.
This is where we miss Ricky the most. He was a lot better than everyone on our team not named Joe Ingles at hitting Gobert with a lob.

The rest of our guys are either too small (Conley/Mitchell) or not good enough passers in the PnR (Bogey).

What time is the game tonight?
My espn app says 7:00 but my Comcast DVR says 8:30

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The disappearance of the lob is easily the most shocking thing that’s happened to the offense this season—from my perspective, at least. I thought Rudy would break his own dunk record.