What's new

Utah@Arizona- Sat, Oct 19

Green, the backup QB didn't cost the Utes.

The horrible defense did.

Travis Wilson and the offense played poorly too. That pick 6 was brutally bad.

But that defense which began to show some life lately, went back to what we saw at the start of the season. They're weak against the run and cannot cover the pass to save their lives. You cannot continue to give up 30+ and expect to win. Not unless you're Oregon and are scoring 50+ per game.

The defense had their blame last night as well. BUT, when you have two drives in the 4th quarter that get you NOTHING, the offense has to take blame. Look at what Schultz did:

3 plays 5 yards - punt
The defense forces a 3 and out, 3 plays 17 yards, TD
TO, 1 play 55 yards, TD
4 plays 16 - punt
3 plays -13 yards - punt
3 plays -3 yards - punt
10 plays, 30 yards - FG
6 plays 16 yards - missed FG

The offense was GARBAGE against a BAD Arizona team. This isn't a good team. At all. The defense played great last night. They were put in a 20-7 hole because of the offense and they came out of halftime and played balls out. The defense caused FOUR turnovers. FOUR. That is great. This game was on the offense, and the fact that Wilson wasn't healthy to start the game, and once again, the coaches didn't have a backup ready to go.

Wilson wasn't right to start the game. He takes chances, but he isn't inaccurate. He was completely missing receivers out there. He looked like a terrible option QB throwing the ball. His hand was hurt.

Why didn't the coaches have a backup ready to go? They knew Wilson was hurt going into the game. They knew there was a chance he wouldn't be able to finish the game. They also knew Schultz sucks. I knew that. I could see that from watching 20 mins of practice at the end of a session. The kid just isn't good enough. He just doesn't have the talent to be a PAC-12 QB. There is a reason why he was a walkon.

Why not put in ONE play this week for Brandon Cox? Just one. All you have to do is practice this ONE play:

From Grantland:

"Ole Miss combined a five-yard hitch route to the single receiver to the left, an inside zone, a quarterback read-option keep, and a receiver screen to the offense's right. And as a final wrinkle, their tight end ran an "arc" release to block an outside linebacker.

"The quarterback's job was to first determine if the defense had enough defenders near the line to stop the run. If not, he read the read-option play, handing it off or keeping it himself. If the defense did have enough defenders inside, he either threw the screen pass or the quick hitch to his left. Ole Miss combined a very simple play concept with an extremely fast version of the no-huddle, and, while it is the defense that dictated whether the statisticians counted it as a run or pass, the offense got what it wanted — a touchdown."

https://www.grantland.com/blog/the-...-plays-and-the-newest-form-of-option-football

There is a video showing this ONE play, and how you can run it with a spread kid.

That is all you have to do. Can you imagine the offense last night if the defense actually had to defend someone other than Dres and Poole? A lot better than 4 drives that resulted in 5 TOTAL yards and 4 punts.

This game is 100% on the coaches, ONCE AGAIN, not having a competent backup up QB.

Last year, they knew Wynn was hurt and they had two options: a walk on kid with a ton of heart, but no talent or a true freshman with a ton of upside, but no experience. They went with the walkon and got killed.

This year, they had Cox and Schultz all spring and summer and had two options: a walk on kid with a ton of heart or no talent or a true freshman with a ton of upside but no experience. They once again went with the walk on and got killed.

Go with talent. Everyone is talented in the PAC-12. If you don't have talent, you don't have a prayer.

Last edited:
And please don't bring up burning a RS. That point is irrelevant. You should be good enough now, that if you only get Cox for one year, it is no big deal. Look at Utah's QB's:

Wilson - Soph
Cox - Fresh
Manning - Fresh
Hansen - RS Fresh
Thomas - Fresh
Schultz - RS Soph

If you burn Cox's RS and Wilson stays four years, look at your depth now:

Cox - Sr
Manning - RS Jr
Hansen - RS Jr
Thomas - RS Jr
The kid that has committed this year - RS Soph
The kid that commits the next year - RS Fresh
And the next kid that commits - Fresh

Losing his RS does nothing to hurt depth or the future. If anything, it helps depth because now you have Cox graduating earlier than before so you can tell some kid that he can come in and play quicker. Burn the RS. You have a chance to be a special team this year and next. WIN. That will help you more than any saving of players.

Here is the video of this play. You don't need to huddle, you don't need to make adjustments. Simple stuff.

https://vimeo.com/71896145

If the LB's are shading towards the run side, then QB keeper. If the LB'ers are shading towards the run side and safeties are in the box, quick screen. If everyone is back, HB run. That is it. Would do better than 5 yards in 4 drives.

Utah was totally unprepared when Wilson got hurt. Last night also shows you how good Wilson is. Utah was a top 25 offense with Wilson. Without him, we were just as bad as we have been the last two years.

Last edited:
I wouldn't wish that on my greatest enemy.

Good point
After all taysom hill has more passing yards than wilson, more rushing yards (by alot), more touchdowns, less interceptions, a better record, and is improving a lot every week.

At least wilson has a better completion percentage and qbr though

Good point
After all taysom hill has more passing yards than wilson, more rushing yards (by alot), more touchdowns, less interceptions, a better record, and is improving a lot every week.

At least wilson has a better completion percentage and qbr though

....Utah thread.

Sorry for the drunk neg rep bro.

I don't even remember what the play was, I just remember being really really mad and I think it was all your fault.

I owe you 5 pos reps.
You're good, I tend to be a whiny bitch when I get as upset as I was last night. Also I think it was my fault as well, I'm such a son of a bitch.

One more complaint, unless the RB is the first option it's like the QB completely ignores them, he's there for a safety valve for a reason... USE IT!

Yep Wilson sucks, the U team sucks and can't play in the PA12 blah blah blah.... and the U is still kickin' the Trash out of whatever that team is down south.
/argument over

I actually think wilson is good...a nd the utes are young and will only get better, but have a very tough schedule.

Your reading comprehension skills suck.

All my post was saying is that taysom hill doesnt suck as bad as green seems to think

I actually think wilson is good...a nd the utes are young and will only get better, but have a very tough schedule.

All my post was saying is that taysom hill doesnt suck as bad as green seems to think
And my point is still correct, U fans upset about a loss so I am making myself feel better so I read it right just don't care.

But thnx for the compliment to the U.

@ USC
Arizona St
@ Oregon
@ Wash St
Colorado

Um yeah. Last night was a huge loss if becoming bowl eligible was a priority this year.

You need 2 wins. Other than Colorado... Who do you see will be a win? Wash St? But we saw how Utah is on the road. Arizona St? Arizona state is 100x better than Arizona.

Last night was a huge loss. Things just got real complicated real fast

Funny how we were all talking about the ute game until YOU brought up taysom hill.

I know. Hence why I went and deleted all the references out there.

Funny that Thriller liked your post when he was actually the first one to bring up Hill....

Against Virginia, Texas and Utah, Hill was the worst passer in football. Against Middle Tenn, USU, GT and Houston, all mid-major level teams, Hill suddenly looks great.

Travis Wilson was the third highest rated QB in the PAC-12 before he got hurt, against OSU (a team that would be top #15 right now if not for the week one slip up), a top ten team, a top 15 team, and a USU team that would have ended up with 8-10 wins if Keaton hadn't gotten hurt. Wilson was performing against top teams. Hill was failing against top teams and looking average against mid-level teams. HUGE difference.

Anyone that would take Hill over Wilson is dumb. Hill has a shot to win a lot of games against mid-major competition and lose a lot of games against BCS teams.

Wilson has a shot to win the PAC-12 (look at what he has done this year, single handily taking Utah to OT against OSU, giving Utah a shot to beat #11 UCLA and beating #5 Stanford) and play in the NFL.

To compare the two QB's is just silly.

@ USC
Arizona St
@ Oregon
@ Wash St
Colorado

Um yeah. Last night was a huge loss if becoming bowl eligible was a priority this year.

You need 2 wins. Other than Colorado... Who do you see will be a win? Wash St? But we saw how Utah is on the road. Arizona St? Arizona state is 100x better than Arizona.

Last night was a huge loss. Things just got real complicated real fast

Depends on if Wilson is hurt or not. If Wilson is health, and not 4th Q or 1st half healthy vs Stanford and Arizona, but 100% healthy, then Utah can still win a ton of games. If Wilson is out and Schultz is the best we've got, then we are screwed.

I know everyone is beating on Utah's defense last night, but they weren't bad at all. If you take out the pick six, then it is a completely different game. Heck, if Phillips hits the two FG's....the defense had four TO's last night.

It all hinges on Wilson being healthy.