What's new

Utah hire a new assistant coach

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/696195/jazz-hire-fotis-katsikaris-as-assistant-coach/
Jazz hire Fotis Katsikaris as assistant coach

16/JUN/18 21:27

By Aris Barkas/ info@eurohoops.net

The Utah Jazz hired Greek coach Fotis Katsikaris as an assistant on a three-year deal according to Eurohoops sources.

By becoming Quin Snyder’s assistant, Katsikaris gets to be the first Greek coach to join the staff of an NBA team.

Throughout his career, Katsikaris, 51, has coached with various teams in Russia, Spain, and Israel. He was named the EuroCup Coach of the Year in 2013, after helping Bilbao reach the competition’s Final.

Katsikaris also coached the Greek national team in the 2014 World Cup, 2015 EuroBasket and 2016 Olympic Games Qualifiers with squads that included Milwaukee Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo.

More to come…

Reactions: SCS
He’s a cousin of Jesse Katsopolis.

How much are bench assistants getting paid these days?

For those of you who no hablas Griego:

Switching defenses. Interesting. I wonder if it's a specialty of his, because that will be all the rage in the NBA the next several years on both ends - both switching on D and beating switching defenses.

He actually looks quite a bit like @Archie Moses

In fact, I think maybe next season Archie should do what this guy did pretending to be Klay:

He was Giannis' coach in Greece. 2021, here we come!
I was about to post the same thing. Hey, if Boston can do it to us with Stevens/Hayward, let's do it to the Bucks!

Good hire. Quin is the master of screens; the "other Coach K" is apparently a master of switching defenses. And it replaces a line to Euro players that Utah lost with Igor leaving. Utah certainly has a rep now of giving opportunities to international coaches - and players.

Switching defenses. Interesting. I wonder if it's a specialty of his, because that will be all the rage in the NBA the next several years on both ends - both switching on D and beating switching defenses.

Perhaps a hint they won't be drafting Okobo, too small to switch.

My only thought is Utah already promoted Lang to front of bench.
So does this mean Coach F..K, a greek, is now positioned behind all the others? These jokes just write themselves!

Greek fan on RealGM:
Thanasiskop said:
Hello guys, a fan from Greece here(yes, we exist - and not all of us support the bucks :) )

I've been visiting this forum for 6-7 years but never really decided to post anything. I remember guys like Inigo_Montoya who didnt like the trey burke pick, pickIBL who watches a lot of euroball and overestimates euro players etc etc :p

I've decided to post for the first time because coach Katsikaris is the first Greek coach to ever get hired in the NBA. He is a top 3(if not the best) Greek coach currently, and a well-respected coach across europe, although not in top 10.

He is respected in ABC(best league outside NBA - not counting Euroleague cuz it's kind of international competition) and has a lot of experience. He speaks greek(obviously), spanish and english.

As for the national team, he didnt win any medals but did manage to get us to the 5 place of the 2015 eurobasket, which is our best achievement in this decade. He had a roster full of worn down players, average players, and giannis who wasnt as good as he is now.

Katsikaris is viewed as a versatile coach, good at both ends of the floor, far more offensive-minded than other greek coaches(who tend to care A LOT about defense). Not saying he doesnt care about defense, just saying he doesnt produce unwatchable games like the rest of our coaches.

It was a good hire by coach Snyder, considering his love for Euroball. Hope he does well

And no, dont start any ''trade for giannis'' rumours :) He doesnt fit coach snyders' system. Unless it means we get to convince DM to stay here for the rest of his career. Imagine a backcout of giannis and Gobert. Block city :)

Sorry for my english, not a native speaker

Interesting development.

Attachments

• 5E19C96D-F28E-4792-8ED6-C1AF908BB902.jpeg
    5E19C96D-F28E-4792-8ED6-C1AF908BB902.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 39