What's new

Utah is now a top 15 team according to Hollinger's power rankings

MT Steve

Contributor
https://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

The biggest factor: In the last 25% of their games, they had the hardest schedule of any team in the NBA and yet still posted a positive average scoring margin of +.0.57.

They also have gone 14-15 after starting 6-19. And that 14-15 stretch was one of the more difficult ones schedule-wise. This is evidence of significant improvement and is also extremely impressive for a team as injury-ravaged in the backcourt as they are.

After the game against San Antonio on Monday, the schedule finally lightens up - 16 of their next 23 are against losing teams. I'm a natural pessimist, but I actually expect the Jazz to win more games than they lose starting from now to the end of the season.

I also expect the Jazz to post a record close to or above .500 next year.

Thanks for posting. The chart really shows how ****ty the eastern conference is in comparison. Still - pretty crazy how close we are to the Rockets, with their All Stars, and the world champion Spurs. Monday's game is going to be fascinating.

We're on the first page!

Just a sign of things to come. Feels good to be a Jazz fan right now. It sure feels like we finally turned some sort of corner with the trade.

Good things to come:

-Lotto Pick this draft
-Mid tier free agent signing this offseason
-Healthy Burks + Hood next year
-4 guys with All Star potential
-Still have all our own picks + 2 extra 1sts that could turn into a disgruntled star (see this trade deadline, and last)
-Playoffs next year

Outlook has never looked brighter

I think the team is being underestimated. We will end up with around 35 wins this season. Even without the addition of any big name free agents, and with just Burks' return and modest player growth, we should be in the playoffs hunt next year. If we end up signing a good FA, we'll probably be a solid playoffs team.

I've been secretly waiting to see the Jazz on that "front oage" for two years now.. What a great feeling once more.

We are a small Exum jump and one good signing (Matthews-like) from being in the playoff hunt next year

I think thats a ridiculous statement. An Exum jump and a healthy burke would make this team nearly if not a playoff team. We are around a .500 team going forward with a (currently) awful Exum and no Burks. Over the last 30 games we have had significant minutes being played by undrafted rookies and d-league guys and we are still winning a lot of games.

If we had a healthy Alec, a jump in Exums game, AND a max/near max guy like Mathews we are a 50+ win team, not just a playoff team.

https://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

The biggest factor: In the last 25% of their games, they had the hardest schedule of any team in the NBA and yet still posted a positive average scoring margin of +.0.57.

They also have gone 14-15 after starting 6-19. And that 14-15 stretch was one of the more difficult ones schedule-wise. This is evidence of significant improvement and is also extremely impressive for a team as injury-ravaged in the backcourt as they are.

After the game against San Antonio on Monday, the schedule finally lightens up - 16 of their next 23 are against losing teams. I'm a natural pessimist, but I actually expect the Jazz to win more games than they lose starting from now to the end of the season.

I also expect the Jazz to post a record close to or above .500 next year.

They are 17 on Sagarin, most difficult schedule to date. Which means their schedule here on out is easiest in the West. They will be above .500 after the allstar break, book it.

I think thats a ridiculous statement. An Exum jump and a healthy burke would make this team nearly if not a playoff team. We are around a .500 team going forward with a (currently) awful Exum and no Burks. Over the last 30 games we have had significant minutes being played by undrafted rookies and d-league guys and we are still winning a lot of games.

If we had a healthy Alec, a jump in Exums game, AND a max/near max guy like Mathews we are a 50+ win team, not just a playoff team.

If Exum is a top 150 player in 2 years, we are in the Hunt
If Exum is a top 75 player in two years, We are absolutely a playoff team.
If Exum is a top 30 player in 2-3 years ( Not likely imo. Hayward might be top 30), we are a contender. #WaitingOnDante

We are a small Exum jump and one good signing (Matthews-like) from being in the playoff hunt next year

And the return of Burks.

I actually looked at the schedule after the Portland win and can see the Jazz making a run at 35 wins. Jazz could win 5 or 6 of their next 8 games (that includes the road trip) and then come home and take 5 of the next 7. We won't, but it's not a huge stretch to see a ton of winnable games. Or maybe I'm just seeing the world through Rudy-colored glasses.

They are 17 on Sagarin, most difficult schedule to date. Which means their schedule here on out is easiest in the West. They will be above .500 after the allstar break, book it.

Whichever team has the most games left against the Jazz has the most brutal schedule remaining!

Reactions: 8

50 wins barely gets you into the playoffs doe

Mmm playoffs gonna taste good next year. Rudy the anti tank is cleansing losing culture from the franchise.

OMG, do we have a losing culture? I hope not, because everyone knows that once your team has a losing culture, it will haunt you for the rest of your days. From what I hear, you can't even get rid of it by trading all your players. They must be taken out and shot, and then the building must be burned. The new building must also be at least a mile from the old location. Shoot the Jazz dancers too, while you're at it, just to be safe. And Bear.

OMG, do we have a losing culture? I hope not, because everyone knows that once your team has a losing culture, it will haunt you for the rest of your days. From what I hear, you can't even get rid of it by trading all your players. They must be taken out and shot, and then the building must be burned. The new building must also be at least a mile from the old location. Shoot the Jazz dancers too, while you're at it, just to be safe. And Bear.

Id say the Jazz were in danger of developing a losing culture after the all star break last year. Then DL didn't re-sign Corbin and went out and turned this team over to Snyder. Snyder has been like a lightening bolt to this team, their development and attitude. There is not even a hint of losing culture with this team anymore.

They are young, improving and ravenously hungry. Don't believe me? Ask the Cavs, Heat, Nets, Bucks, Bulls, Spurs, Thunder, Blazers, Warriors and Grizzlies. All playoff teams the Jazz beat this year. Half the Jazz wins are against playoff teams.

Now before you go pointing out things like injuries and weak eastern teams look at the Jazz. Burks and Hood have missed major time with injuries. The Jazz are starting and/or playing up to 6 rookies and Sophmores signigicant minutes when healthy. That includes a D-league call up.

Next year isn't bright, it's blinding.