What's new

Utah Jazz is 20th defense, 8th offense after 12 Games

jjscap

Last season Utah was #1 defensively and #16 offensively after 82 games. (107.2 ORTG and 102.9 DRTG)
Last season after 12 games #3 defense, #28 offense (98.9 - 100.9)
This season after 12 games #20 defense, #8 offense (110.6 and 109.1)

Looks like an entirely different team, right?

A little more patience on offense and more focus on defense and we should be about #10 and #10.

With our quicker tempo, I dont see us getting back to holding teams under 100.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

My eyeballs see improvements on defense over the past 3 or 4 games. I think we'll get back to our stingy ways. It'll be interesting to see if we do that without a shake-up in the starting lineup, though.

The Jazz are pretty good at running teams off the 3 point line and not giving up a lot of FGAs at the rim

But when you dig deep into the numbers The Jazz are getting killed defensively in the 15-23 foot range - they're bottom 5 in FG% allowed.

The silver lining is that's where you want opposing teams to take shots. You have to think the percentages catch up with the rest of the league.

I think our pace of game play has picked up dramatically which is effecting the offensive output. As for defense, when you play at a higher pace, your overall numbers on defense tend to fall a bit.

I'm not overly worried about anything other than our 2-5 minute turnover laden spells we seem to have.

My eyeballs see improvements on defense over the past 3 or 4 games. I think we'll get back to our stingy ways. It'll be interesting to see if we do that without a shake-up in the starting lineup, though.

This although if refs just keep calling fouls at random like they have a damn quota to hit then I’m not sure how consistently effective we can be.

Feels like if guys take it to the rim they just blow the whistle every other time just because. There seems to be no consistency.

Rudy was laying back a lot more and I’m not sure it that was the game plan early... like maybe just his rep will cause guys to miss and he is in better position to rebound or protect against the lob pass... he seems more active around the basic recently.

What's your source? Cuz according to nba.com Jazz are 14th in defensive rating and 10th in offensive rating.

Nvm just saw this was posted prior to the Memphis game.

Utah finally sneaked into the Top-10 in NETRTG.

I think the biggest challenge so far is the strength of schedule.
Outside of DAL, UTA haven't played league's bottom 10 teams yet
and will not play until Dec 16 vsOrlando. That's 30th game of the season.