What's new

Utah Jazz Ownership Restructured and Placed in Family Trust

If the announcement is as good as the quality of the mic and noise cancellation, we're about to hear some terrible news

Gail:

Thanks for coming. I brought a lot of my family here. This announcement will affect them and the community.

Background for this announcement.

Talking about the arena. Built like a lantern, will bring people into it. The team makes the light even brighter. Represents hard work grit perserverance. Represents the family and the state and the people.

When we bought the Jazz we were young with a young automotive business. Jazz were beyond our net worth, but to keep the team in Utah we needed to intervene as it was a valuable community asset. Larry said one day, "GAIL THE JAZZ CAN'T LEAVE UTAH!" That decision changed our lives forever and we felt it was the right thing to do and we did everything we could to make it happen. We leveraged everything to buy half the Jazz. The next year we had to do it again in order to buy the other half. We have always viewed ourselves as stewards. Bought the Jazz for $22M. Our mission has been to ensure that the Jazz stay in Utah. It's a community asset and rallying point.

Gail (cont.)

As I've considered the Miller business ventures I've created a board that includes our family plus many other leaders this past year. Tremendous momentum thanks to all the professionals' contributions.

Today I'm announcing the capstone. An unprecedented move to keep the Jazz here.

With the approval of the NBA, I'm transferring the Jazz and the arena into a legacy trust of our posterity. We will oversee the trust and it's resources indefinitely.

Gail (cont)

With approval of the NBA. This ensures that the Jazz will stay in Utah. We are doing things the right way to bring a chip to Utah.

Last edited: