What's new

Utah Jazz release ad specifically for NAOS

Wow, Holly Rowe is a good get! Is Mike Smith going to be Boler’s TV sidekick? Edit: Nope, its Big T

Wow, Holly Rowe is a good get! Is Mike Smith going to be Boler’s TV sidekick? Edit: Nope, its Big T
I was not a fan of Smith. Can’t remember listening to Rowe much… I don’t watch a lot of football. I’m sure she will run circles around Boler though… would be hard not to.

What happened to Harpring? He was the goofier and therefore more entertaining of the duo.

At least they got rid of one of them. Something about matt made Boler suck more at his job

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

That was a rough way to start the day. Initially I had this surge of interest that this thread would be about how they’d sacked Boler.

I know casuals find stupid and superficial reasons to dislike Locke but yo, can we just get someone that actually likes basketball and works at their craft for the main TV gig?

I know, crazy thought. "Me like sound of voice" is a pretty compelling argument.
Maybe there’s a best of both worlds here. I’m sure there’s some kind of “Boler-filter” that they could make an app for and Locke could speak into it.

I know casuals find stupid and superficial reasons to dislike Locke but yo, can we just get someone that actually likes basketball and works at their craft for the main TV gig?

I know, crazy thought. "Me like sound of voice" is a pretty compelling argument.

I listen to locked on but his voice can grate.

Maybe there’s a best of both worlds here. I’m sure there’s some kind of “Boler-filter” that they could make an app for and Locke could speak into it.
Actually, I just got confirmation and they’ve created a Locke filter and Bolerjack will be speaking through it this year.

I listen to locked on but his voice can grate.
If it’s more grating to a person than having the play-by-play person frequently call the game inaccurately, never show any sign of improvement or effort, or even really like the sport then yeah, they’re a casual fan.

I’m not making a full-throated endorsement of Locke as much as I’m just pointing out that we already have a guy that really tries to do a good job and does a better job than our local broadcasting potato.

Last edited:
I'm actually excited for Rowe... typically female broadcasters have to work harder and be more knowledgeable and good at their jobs to get traction imo. Take Doris Burke who I don't fawn over like some but she is generally crazy prepared and I like having her on games. Sarah Kustok in Brooklyn is fantastic. I'm guessing she's overqualified for the gig and will do well... I am also guessing a bunch of dudes will hate having her on simply because she's female no matter how good she is.

I'm actually excited for Rowe... typically female broadcasters have to work harder and be more knowledgeable and good at their jobs to get traction imo. Take Doris Burke who I don't fawn over like some but she is generally crazy prepared and I like having her on games. Sarah Kustok in Brooklyn is fantastic. I'm guessing she's overqualified for the gig and will do well... I am also guessing a bunch of dudes will hate having her on simply because she's female no matter how good she is.
No need to guess. It’s a certainty.

I know nothing about Rowe but hope you’re right.

I actually don't care how much "expertise" a broadcaster brings. Their job is to make the game entertaining, and I find that most people people trying to be experts spend their airtime trying to show off how correct or smart they are. Someone who enjoys the game but isn't too much of a fan is good enough for me. As corny as Matt and Boler were at some times, I don't think they got in the way of the enjoyment of the game. So many local broadcasts have commentators that cheer too hard for their team. National TV broadcasts are just filled with "experts" who like to hear the sound of their own voice. Basketball should be the main product, but the NBA doesn't do that.