What's new

Utah Jazz to enter into an official "hybrid" relationship with Idaho Stampede

Matthew Thomas Castleton

Source: https://dleaguedigest.com/2014/06/0...pede-affiliation-likely-to-be-announced-soon/
This is an obvious move. Idaho is essentially Utah-lite. I expect that when the official announcement comes, the Stampede will rebrand their logos and colors to represent their official relationship with the Jazz, similar to what the Iowa Energy did when the Memphis Grizzlies entered into an official, “hybrid” relationship with them. I do see in the future that the D-League will become more like Triple-A is to Major League Baseball. Every MLB team has its own Triple-A affiliate. The MLB teams pay for and control their Triple-A affiliate’s Baseball Operations, while the Triple-A teams are owned by local owners who are responsible for the marketing and other aspects of the team. The development of the D-League into a “true” minor-league system for the NBA will solve the current NBA debacle of an age requirement to be drafted. The rule will be eventually changed to allow for players to declare for the draft directly out of high school if they choose, and if they aren’t ready to play in the NBA yet, they can spend time developing with the D-League affiliate of the team that drafts them. However, as a trade-off for this, if a player decides forgo the draft and instead go to college, they won’t be eligible to declare for the draft again for at least two years to three years. This would be similar to the Major League Baseball rules, which allow players to declare for the draft straight out of high school, but, if they don’t go, they cannot declare for the draft again for three years, which helps their college teams ability to stay NCAA compliant.

Sent from my System Product Name using Tapatalk

Rediculous Upside had this story a couple of weeks ago. Idaho had a similar agreement with Portland but Portland hardly used the Stampede at all this past year.

Yes, it's been out for awhile. But MTC is correct; eventually the NBA will have a true minor league system. The first step is requiring teams to have 1-1 relationships and most that currently do have a 'hybrid' relationship, although a few have total ownership and control.

As I said before, I hope that the Jazz keep their bottom two guys on the bench up in Iowa, playing, for the whole year. Year 2 can have them practicing with the team, but that first year should have them out on the court as much as possible.

Such an arrangement would have been very beneficial (IMO) for both Ian Clark and Malcolm Thomas. D-League experience for the whole season sure didn't hurt the prospects for P. J. Hairston, and Pierre Jackson.

In an arrangement like this, I'm big into control and value. The Jazz can control how the team is run - and to a limited degree - who is on the team. I'd have my coaching staff and front office very involved in the process. I'd also enter into an agreement where I'd let one or two teams who don't have a one-to-one affiliation send their players to the Stampede instead of having to share with a bunch of other teams. That way, I maintain control over the team, get help covering the expense of the exclusive affiliation and hopefully improve the talent level and competition for playing time.

As I said before, I hope that the Jazz keep their bottom two guys on the bench up in Iowa, playing, for the whole year. Year 2 can have them practicing with the team, but that first year should have them out on the court as much as possible.

Such an arrangement would have been very beneficial (IMO) for both Ian Clark and Malcolm Thomas. D-League experience for the whole season sure didn't hurt the prospects for P. J. Hairston, and Pierre Jackson.

In an arrangement like this, I'm big into control and value. The Jazz can control how the team is run - and to a limited degree - who is on the team. I'd have my coaching staff and front office very involved in the process. I'd also enter into an agreement where I'd let one or two teams who don't have a one-to-one affiliation send their players to the Stampede instead of having to share with a bunch of other teams. That way, I maintain control over the team, get help covering the expense of the exclusive affiliation and hopefully improve the talent level and competition for playing time.

Actually, according to a rule change that went into effect in March, any NBA-Drafted NBA D-League players can now be directly claimed by NBA parent club’s affiliate. This is the first step towards the D-League becoming a full-fledged minor league for the NBA.

Last edited: