What's new

Utah Not even a thought for Free Agents...

LiemD

SALT LAKE CITY — The free agent feeding frenzy begins tonight at 10 (MT), and it should be quite the smorgasbord of expensive dishes. Step up to the table and make your choice. There's wagyu beef (Dwyane Wade) and matsutake mushrooms (Chris Bosh). Or you might consider the rare blue lobster (Dirk Nowitzki).

Don't forget the most expensive item of all, Almas caviar (LeBron James).

Are you drooling yet?

Among the free agent side dishes: Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Tracy McGrady and Paul Pierce.

Not that this has much to do with the Jazz. They're over the salary cap and on a peanut butter budget. Their hope is to retain Carlos Boozer, but even then it would have to be at a discounted rate. As if. Boozer is the guy who guaranteed he'd get a raise when he became a free agent.

But even if the Jazz did have cap room, they wouldn't get a superstar. On a national scale, they just don't sizzle. If you're a top free agent, you want to play where it's hot, literally or figuratively: New York, Chicago, Miami, New York, Los Angeles, Boston. The biggest free agent the Jazz ever signed — besides their own — was Boozer, who produced nice numbers but has missed 138 games.
The list of free agents who rejected Utah is significant: Derek Harper, LaPhonso Ellis, Mario Elie and Sam Perkins among them. Top free agents like Shaquille O'Neal and Kevin Garnett never did consider Utah. A Sports Illustrated poll among players in 2006 listed Utah as the least desirable destination in the league, by a wide margin. Twenty-seven percent apparently considered it a cross between Siberia and water torture. That won't change, no matter how much money the Jazz have. They'll have far more cap space after Andrei Kirilenko is off the books in 2011, but that doesn't mean any dominant player will come here.

The prevailing thought — but only occasionally admitted — is that even if it means earning an extra few million bucks, playing in Utah also means living in Utah.

Basically UTAH SUCKS! :(

Wow I never realized this before. You mean LeBron isn't considering the Jazz? We could offer the MLE!

For what it's worth, I don't really see San Antonio a great place to live, yet they've pulled in quite a few free agents.

It's such an awful place that the greatest player of all time has a home in Park City. A lot of these players who've rejected Utah in the past have pre-conceived notions that they refuse to even consider giving it a chance. And I don't even live in Utah but i've been and have seen first hand how well supported the team is, its a family like atmosphere between the fans and the team. Once players get to Utah they seem to learn it's not all that bad..unfortunately, many of these guys are too small minded to even give it a chance based on stereotypes and generalizations. That article I'd imagine was written by Monson.

It's the mormans, moran.

Which is what....somehow less desirable than cowboys and dust?

Seriously, I think Utah is in the same class as Indiana, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Portland, Oklahoma City and other small-market teams. Oklahoma City has cap room and one of the best young rosters in the league, but they don't seem to be attracting a big-time free agent.

Last edited:
It's such an awful place that the greatest player of all time has a home in Park City. A lot of these players who've rejected Utah in the past have pre-conceived notions that they refuse to even consider giving it a chance. And I don't even live in Utah but i've been and have seen first hand how well supported the team is, its a family like atmosphere between the fans and the team. Once players get to Utah they seem to learn it's not all that bad..unfortunately, many of these guys are too small minded to even give it a chance based on stereotypes and generalizations. That article I'd imagine was written by Monson.

This...When it comes to places to live, Utah is a diamond in the rough. Honestly who the hell would want to live in a **** hole place like Detroit. Went on vacation there 3 years ago and it is honestly one of the rawest cities ive ever been to.

Utah > Det, Oklahoma, Mil , Indiana, Wash...... just to name a few.

There are many people in this thread who are lying to themselves. True story. I've been to SLC and I can say, truly, it's a garbage city. It's boring as ****.

There are many people in this thread who are lying to themselves. True story. I've been to SLC and I can say, truly, it's a garbage city. It's boring as ****.

To each their own Viny. I have thoroughly enjoyed it the times i've been, not just because I'm a Jazz fan but I enjoy the wildlife (outside the city), the natural beauty of the mountains,the terrain, etc.. aesthetically it's beautiful. And i'm not lying to myself, that's my honest opinion, and Park City is a fun place also. I'm not a big partier, so I enjoy the slow pace and the peaceful nature of a smaller city, compared to the hustle and bustle of the northeast where I reside; it's a nice respite. Again though, to each their own.