What's new

Utah v. BYU

I learned today that UTAH UTES have the best bowl game winning percentage of any team in the history of college football.

Good stuff. Boy those LaVell years were awesome, weren't they? (speaking as a BYU fan) My oldest sister started BYU in 1980-81. I graduated in 1993-94 (I'm the youngest sibling). BYU went 12-2 in those 14 seasons.

Seriously, that was the thing that stuck me. If I counted right, 22 out of BYU's 31 wins were under LaVell. Only 9 wins were with other head coaches. Wow! (Or "Yikes!" perhaps.) Bronco is tied for #2 on the BYU coaching list with 3 wins against Utah.

In other news, it surprises me that BYU has more bowl games, more consensus all-Americans, and more 1st round draft picks, despite Utah having the better head-to-head record and more wins all time.

I learned today that UTAH UTES have the best bowl game winning percentage of any team in the history of college football.

As a Ute fan I didn't know this either. I knew we had the long bowl game winning streak but I didn't know we were #1 in winning percentage.

Overall, I knew most of those numbers but there were a few surprises. It's funny, growing up in the "Lavell Era" definitely skewed many people's perception of the overall strength of the rivalry. Save for 1984 (save it, not getting into that debate), Utah is sitting very pretty when comparing the tale of the tape.

I was also surprised to see that BYU has more NFL'ers, but that has been heavily trending in Utah's favor the past 10 years, as has most everything else.