What's new

Utes 2011 Football Discussion

And then after he leaves after next year, the Utes can try with Lavell.
Levell still has a few good years in him doesn't he?

Lets all hope this Crowton as OC thing is just a rumor that got blown out of proportion.

Whitt would obviously have to interview him if the guy applied. If he was rude and didn't interview him it could come back to bite him in the future. I suspect that is why Whitt hasn't named a new OC yet, because he has to give everyone a fair shake at the job (and there were supposedly like 70+ people who applied).

Crowton is not the right guy for the job. I would much rather see ARod get it.

Lets all hope this Crowton as OC thing is just a rumor that got blown out of proportion.

Whitt would obviously have to interview him if the guy applied. If he was rude and didn't interview him it could come back to bite him in the future. I suspect that is why Whitt hasn't named a new OC yet, because he has to give everyone a fair shake at the job (and there were supposedly like 70+ people who applied).

Crowton is not the right guy for the job. I would much rather see ARod get it.
That's not true. Have you ever applied for a job and not interviewed for it? There's no way he's interviewing everyone who's applying.

I've never applied for a job that I was qualified for and not at least got an interview, no.
I can guarantee you it happens to people all the time. And if he really has over 70 applicants, he's not interviewing them all. I can see the reasoning behind interviewing Crowton. And while I hope it happens, I don't think he'll be the new OC.

I can guarantee you it happens to people all the time. And if he really has over 70 applicants, he's not interviewing them all. I can see the reasoning behind interviewing Crowton. And while I hope it happens, I don't think he'll be the new OC.
Maybe not all of them will get interviews, but you can bet all of the qualified applicants will. Crowton has tons of experience in college and the NFL, so he will absolutely get interviewed.

I understand that people don't always get interviewed for every job they apply for. But if you have several years experience doing a job at an even higher level, you will almost certainly be interviewed.

Crowton has NFL experience, head coaching experience in college, plus tons of experience as an OC in college. I would bet dollars to donuts that anyone with that type of experience who applied got an interview. Heck, probably everyone with half the experience of Crowton got an interview.

I'm sure you're not alone among BYU fans who hope he gets the job. And I'm sure I'm not alone among Ute fans who are hoping he doesn't get the job.

Walmart is really good about giving everyone a chance.
Unfortunately, I am not qualified to work there. I'm over 18, was born in the USA, have never been convicted of a felony, and I have all of my teeth.

EDIT:
I should probably mention that I've only had a few different jobs since I got out of college. I've stayed at each one for several years, and never applied for anything that I wasn't qualified for. So I don't have a lot of experience with applying for jobs and not getting offered an interview.

I must admit though, I did think it was common courtesy (and smart from the company's standpoint) to interview pretty much every qualified applicant. Not saying they get offered a job, but the company will usually at least bring in a qualified applicant (or even do a phone interview) for an interview. If you guys aren't getting interviewed for positions that you have previously held, and you aren't old as dirt or anything like that, then I guess I stand corrected.

Last edited:
All of the Gary Crowton speculation has been interesting and scary as hell if you're a UTE fan, but I just read on another site a rumor that I could actually live with:

Crowton could possibly be hired as a position coach while ARod is elevated to OC. ARod isn't my first choice, but if it helps keep Travis Wilson as a solid commit, I think it's worth it. As an Crowton would be a complete train wreck but I think he could probably give a positive contribution as a position coach.

All of the Gary Crowton speculation has been interesting and scary as hell if you're a UTE fan, but I just read on another site a rumor that I could actually live with:

Crowton could possibly be hired as a position coach while ARod is elevated to OC. ARod isn't my first choice, but if it helps keep Travis Wilson as a solid commit, I think it's worth it. As an Crowton would be a complete train wreck but I think he could probably give a positive contribution as a position coach.
Out of 70 applicants, we shouldn't even be discussing Crowton.

The local media probably made a bigger deal out of it than it really was/is. There have probably been 50 (or more) interviews that we never heard about. Hopefully Crowton has no chance at joining the staff, even as a position coach.

I would take Crowton as a position coach in a heartbeat, you would be crazy not too. As the guy that left Cal for Washington is showing, recruiting is huge. Crowton is a very good recruiter. If you could have him on as a receivers coach, basically doing nothing but recruiting, and you turn that down, you are crazy.

I would take Crowton as a position coach in a heartbeat, you would be crazy not too. As the guy that left Cal for Washington is showing, recruiting is huge. Crowton is a very good recruiter. If you could have him on as a receivers coach, basically doing nothing but recruiting, and you turn that down, you are crazy.

Green, do you not know Salty? Crazy is his middle name.

That said, as a BYU fan I would laugh my *** off if Utah hired Crowton. That's how bad of a hiring it would be.

What makes you so sure Crowton is any better at recruiting than anyone else? As far as I am concerned, Crowton has a pretty horrible rep these days. He may have been good a long time ago, no doubt. But sucking at (and getting fired from) every job he has had in the last many years pretty much kills that.

I'd much rather either get a proven big name that still has a good rep, or give it to a young guy who can grow with the organization.

Looks like we missed out on Karl Malone Jr. because he's going to LSU and Wynn is most likely our starting QB again. Spring practice is going on? What are you guys excited about?