What's new

Video Game Thread

...but besides the Dark Souls 2 update, I also need to mention another game that I'm already addicted to: Starbound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMJE9ZHIqQ

It's basically Terraria on drugs, for those who know that game. So addicting, it's unbelievable.

A few technical notes, however. This is a Steam "early access" game, meaning that while you can buy and play it, it's still an incomplete game. That said, it's better than most full-release games already, so don't let that stop you. The game has actually sold over a million copies already, which for a game that isn't even technically "out" yet is pretty impressive. Also, more specifically: there have been character wipes with updates, i.e. major patches have been causing old saved game files to be unusable. However, the development team announced that the next patch, due out in about a week, will be the last patch that wipes out character data. So in about a week, you can play knowing that you'll definitely be keeping all your progress.

https://playstarbound.com/info-about-the-upcoming-patch/

Seriously, pay the $15 for this game and thank me later.

...but besides the Dark Souls 2 update, I also need to mention another game that I'm already addicted to: Starbound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMJE9ZHIqQ

It's basically Terraria on drugs, for those who know that game. So addicting, it's unbelievable.

A few technical notes, however. This is a Steam "early access" game, meaning that while you can buy and play it, it's still an incomplete game. That said, it's better than most full-release games already, so don't let that stop you. The game has actually sold over a million copies already, which for a game that isn't even technically "out" yet is pretty impressive. Also, more specifically: there have been character wipes with updates, i.e. major patches have been causing old saved game files to be unusable. However, the development team announced that the next patch, due out in about a week, will be the last patch that wipes out character data. So in about a week, you can play knowing that you'll definitely be keeping all your progress.

https://playstarbound.com/info-about-the-upcoming-patch/

Seriously, pay the $15 for this game and thank me later.

Looks like 2D minecraft, with fights.

I watched the whole thing to see just wtf you were typing about. Well, now I know what you were typing about.

I watched the whole thing to see just wtf you were typing about. Well, now I know what you were typing about.

The whole thing? You only needed to watch the previous two minutes or so before the timecode I provided to know the context. But props for watching it.

Ah well. It's my favorite video-game-related podcast. It ran weekly for about a year, but then Gamespot didn't record any new episodes for about three months after their site redesign, and I thought it had been cancelled. But now it's back, and it's been made into a video podcast (not that the video aspect adds much, you can still download audio-only in other places), and it's also broadcast live on Twitch every Friday at 3pm, allowing people in the chat to comment and do things like I did -- guess which game the music was from. For this podcast, I was the first one to name Goldenaxe and Dragon's Dogma when their respective audio tracks came up, and it was fun to see the host mention my username on the former.

It definitely wasn't a waste of my time. I enjoyed it. Do you have any recommendations for past episodes? I wouldn't mind listening to a lot of them.

It definitely wasn't a waste of my time. I enjoyed it. Do you have any recommendations for past episodes? I wouldn't mind listening to a lot of them.

I do, actually.

First, here's where you can download all the episodes:

https://soundcloud.com/gamespot

Episodes 1-57 are audio only. Episodes 58 and on also have video, and if you want the video for those you can find them on YouTube or just go to Gamespot's site. But as I said, the video is pretty unnecessary.

My very favorite episode is 37. Part of that is that the guest is Greg Kasavin, who was Gamespot's chief editor years ago before he went off to deveop games like Bastion and the upcoming Transistor. I love the guy, and he's a geek's geek. But even if you're not a Kasavin fan, it's just a fun episode, and they cover a lot of interesting topics.

Episode 19 is actually a "greatest hits" sort of episode. They didn't get a chance to record that week, so the host combined some of the best bits from the previous shows. It's a good way to get some of the highlights from the earlier episodes.

I remember liking episode 48, but that one is also a bit weird because it was recorded just after one of the editors had died (Ryan Davis). They do some reminiscing which won't mean much if you don't read Gamespot or GiantBomb, but again, I think they cover a lot of interesting topics.

Those are the ones that leap to mind. I can give you other recommendations if you burn through those and want more. Of course, you could also just start working through all of them, particularly if you have a long commute or something and can dump them onto an MP3 player and listen in the car.

How badly made was Red Dead Redemption? It's fun....when you can actually play it, but the game crashes or freezes up so frequently that it doesn't deserve to be rated anywhere near the high 9's it seems to have universally gotten. I even bought 2 different copies during the course of playing it, and downloaded a few patches and everything. Anyway, I just finished it within the past few days, but it took me like 4 months to get through the game because I could only play it for about 30 min every few days without wanting to pull my hair out from it crashing so much and that's really all I'm ever going to remember about playing it.

I beat RDR in 4 days and it never crashed on me once.

Lucky. Because I do think if I would've had a similar experience, it could have been one of my all-time favorites. Google tells me a lot of other people had issues so I wonder why the discrepancy. I've never had any other problems with games like that....except for Two Worlds....and that was just a total **** pile of a game so it was easy to stop playing that.

Lucky. Because I do think if I would've had a similar experience, it could have been one of my all-time favorites. Google tells me a lot of other people had issues so I wonder why the discrepancy. I've never had any other problems with games like that....except for Two Worlds....and that was just a total **** pile of a game so it was easy to stop playing that.

I never had any issues with crashing, either. Maybe your machine is messed up somehow.

I never had any issues with crashing, either. Maybe your machine is messed up somehow.

More likely I got Gamestomp'd/Amazon'd because I did buy used copies both times. Though if they are patching it, then of course that means there is/was something there. But thanks for rubbing your good experiences with the game in fellas.

I've moved on to better games....just started Mass Effect.

More likely I got Gamestomp'd/Amazon'd because I did buy used copies both times. Though if they are patching it, then of course that means there is/was something there. But thanks for rubbing your good experiences with the game in fellas.

The first one? Contrary to popular opinion, that one's my favorite.

The first one? Contrary to popular opinion, that one's my favorite.

Yeah, the first. I'm one of the those people that always has to start with the first game in a series as long it's on the same generation of consoles. Even if it's like a Hitman or Final Fantasy game or something where the story doesn't really flow into each new game. But yeah, I've heard the "Start with game 2" mantra passively over the years and certainly don't understand it based on the first couple of hours of the 1st, but maybe once I have the context of the whole series it might make more sense.

What system did you play RDR on? If you buy used I always recommend going the PS3 route if you can. There's a really excellent/effective scratch-resistant coating on the discs. Even if they're scratched up, you can just buff out the scratches with your shirt, or even your thumb. But if you get a badly scratched 360 disc, there's less you can do about it.

Of course if your discs weren't scratched up, you might need to replace your hard drive. I've found the drive in my PS3 needs to be changed out every 2 years or so, or I start getting more frequent freezes.

Yeah, the first. I'm one of the those people that always has to start with the first game in a series as long it's on the same generation of consoles. Even if it's like a Hitman or Final Fantasy game or something where the story doesn't really flow into each new game. But yeah, I've heard the "Start with game 2" mantra passively over the years and certainly don't understand it based on the first couple of hours of the 1st, but maybe once I have the context of the whole series it might make more sense.
No idea why anyone would want to avoid the first one. My best guess is some might feel all the weapons mods and such constitute too much "micromanaging." But that's honestly pretty easy to ignore. Mass Effect 1 is fantastic, and no one should skip it.

Though do note that for 2 & 3, you can download DLC that lets you make the major decisions from the previous game that will affect the current game, via an interactive comic. That way you don't need to re-play a game if you're unhappy with a decision you made.

That's another thing. I liked the Mako stuff. For one, it just never got old driving up mountains with a 70 degree incline. But mostly, it helped sell the illusion that you're actually in a big universe, because you can actually drive around in big open areas of other planets. In ME2 the universe felt very small, because there really wasn't any exploration -- at all. All of the missions and side missions are linear shooting galleries. And to replace the Mako? The ridiculously boring scanning of planets for minerals mini-game. I mean, seriously, I hear people complain about the Mako stuff, and all I can think of is: "they prefer scanning planets for hours instead?"