What's new

Voter Suppression and Why The Republicans Love It So Much?

I'm a simple man: I see Sidney Powell, I immediately assume she's egregiously wrong.
One of the funniest things I remember recently was when she was found innocent in court because her defense was basically "you have to be an idiot to believe any of the crap I have been peddling. It's obvious all the crap I peddle isn't serious or truthful"
And the judge agreed.

I bet we’ll see apologies from the Trumpers on this board who spent weeks reciting conspiracies they’d read about on 8 Chan and seen on Fox News.

I bet we’ll see apologies from the Trumpers on this board who spent weeks reciting conspiracies they’d read about on 8 Chan and seen on Fox News.

**** your facts you liberal weenie. We have not begun to fight!

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Hopefully this gets lots of attention in the media. Your post is the first i heard about it.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

What's bizarre is that individuals are so indebted to Trump and his voters that they'll do anything to remain in their good graces even when it flies in the face of common sense. Gov. Abbott in Texas is now wanting to do the same as the AZ audit...

... for a state Trump won by 5 points...

... that no one is contending.

One of the great mistakes of starting any project in any discipline is solving a problem that nobody has.

Hopefully this gets lots of attention in the media. Your post is the first i heard about it.
Doubtful. The media has spent months decrying the audit. With the audit showing that it was just a double checking and not some plot to end democracy, all those with their hair on fire over it being allowed are looking pretty foolish.

Gov. Abbott in Texas is now wanting to do the same as the AZ audit...
Audits are used all the time in all industries. I don't understand the idea of the vote being above having independent eyes look at the process. Audits make the process better and more reliable. Why wouldn't we want that?

Audits are used all the time in all industries. I don't understand the idea of the vote being above having independent eyes look at the process. Audits make the process better and more reliable. Why wouldn't we want that?
Audits and quality control are not a problem - when looked through an independent lens (if such a thing could exist in this day and age).

Partisan audits such as the one in AZ are not the answer. I do agree that they are helpful in helping us understand that election counts in extremely close races are a must where a seat could hinge on a very small subset of voters, but Trump won TX by 630k votes and it feels like a waste of money that we all know taxpayers will eat.

it feels like a waste of money that we all know taxpayers will eat.
By definition, partisan audits are not payed for by the taxpayers. They are privately funded.

You are saying "audits such as the one in AZ are not the answer". The question is "How do we get the American people to believe in the results of the election?" The AZ audit spent months going through every detail of the election and concluded the stated winner was validated. How can that not be helpful to the question of "How do we get the American people to believe in the results of the election?" I think it does exactly that. If we are trying to build trust in the system, I can't think of a better answer.

If you don't want the taxpayers to eat the cost and you want more acceptance of the results, what is your proposed remedy that you think is better than "audits such as the one in AZ"?

The AZ audit spent months going through every detail of the election and concluded the stated winner was validated. How can that not be helpful to the question of "How do we get the American people to believe in the results of the election?"
It can be not helpful because the reason for doubting the election was never about the facts in the first place, and more facts won't change many strongly-held, factually ignorant opinions. Just the other day Trump was saying the Democrats wanted to hide the results of the audit.

more facts won't change many strongly-held, factually ignorant opinions.
I said "helpful", not "resolve". There are always going to be zealots who cannot be reached, but if there is public opinion polling in Maricopa County over acceptance of the election I'm thinking this audit will move the needle.

I said "helpful", not "resolve". There are always going to be zealots who cannot be reached, but if there is public opinion polling in Maricopa County over acceptance of the election I'm thinking this audit will move the needle.
Not if Trump says that he was robbed - and he will regardless of any fact or report partisan or otherwise.

By definition, partisan audits are not payed for by the taxpayers. They are privately funded.

You are saying "audits such as the one in AZ are not the answer". The question is "How do we get the American people to believe in the results of the election?" The AZ audit spent months going through every detail of the election and concluded the stated winner was validated. How can that not be helpful to the question of "How do we get the American people to believe in the results of the election?" I think it does exactly that. If we are trying to build trust in the system, I can't think of a better answer.

If you don't want the taxpayers to eat the cost and you want more acceptance of the results, what is your proposed remedy that you think is better than "audits such as the one in AZ"?
I think we need another audit of Arizona. You never can be too sure.
And another one after that. And again after that.
The results had already been audited multiple times before this most recent one btw

Should audit AZ votes again. Just have Trump do it this time. Maybe the results will be different then

I think we need another audit of Arizona. You never can be too sure.
And another one after that. And again after that.
The results had already been audited multiple times before this most recent one btw
Sure. Why not? At this point there have been thousands of tests of Einstein's theory of relativity, and scientists continue to think up new ones. Despite never finding a single flaw in thousands of tests, new grants get issued and new experiments happen. If someone wants to pay for it and someone wants to look then why not let them even if it is the ten thousandth time? All it does is reinforce the previous work, and that is exactly what we want. Declaring things off limits is what creates doubt. I do not believe this most recent audit in AZ did any damage but I do think stakeholders actively discouraging investigation absolutely has. It fosters an idea of "why are they putting so much effort in discouraging this if they have nothing to hide?"

Sure. Why not? At this point there have been thousands of tests of Einstein's theory of relativity, and scientists continue to think up new ones. Despite never finding a single flaw in thousands of tests, new grants get issued and new experiments happen. If someone wants to pay for it and someone wants to look then why not let them even if it is the ten thousandth time? All it does is reinforce the previous work, and that is exactly what we want. Declaring things off limits is what creates doubt. I do not believe this most recent audit in AZ did any damage but I do think stakeholders actively discouraging investigation absolutely has. It fosters an idea of "why are they putting so much effort in discouraging this if they have nothing to hide?"
Exactly. Every state should have audits over and over again until the next election so we can be absolutely sure. (Although even then we couldn't be totally sure. I mean I personally didn't see every person in America's vote so I can never really be sure).

Doubtful. The media has spent months decrying the audit. With the audit showing that it was just a double checking and not some plot to end democracy, all those with their hair on fire over it being allowed are looking pretty foolish.
Actually the reason I haven't seen much in the media yet is because it hasn't been officially announced. The results were just leaked.
The media needs to blast it all over the place so that those with their hair on fire over the election being stolen due to a reality tv star politicians lies will look foolish. Again.

Exactly. Every state should have audits over and over again until the next election so we can be absolutely sure. (Although even then we couldn't be totally sure. I mean I personally didn't see every person in America's vote so I can never really be sure).
Why stop at the next election? If a group wants to look at the 1980 election and we still have the stuff lying around, what is the harm in it?

I can understand needing to keep some information secret for purposes of national security but everything else the government does should be wide open. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. If someone wants to check under every government rock, that is great. If a thousand people want to check under every government rock ten times each then it is even better.

One has to keep in mind that double checking vote totals does nothing when it comes to naming the President. The United States is not a democracy. It is a republic. All an audit does is examine the processes for which improvements can be made for future votes.

Why stop at the next election? If a group wants to look at the 1980 election and we still have the stuff lying around, what is the harm in it?

I can understand needing to keep some information secret for purposes of national security but everything else the government does should be wide open. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. If someone wants to check under every government rock, that is great. If a thousand people want to check under every government rock ten times each then it is even better.

One has to keep in mind that double checking vote totals does nothing when it comes to naming the President. The United States is not a democracy. It is a republic. All an audit does is examine the processes for which improvements can be made for future votes.
The harm is obvious. If people are doubting results then they are getting upset and doubting our whole political system. Why does that matter? Well 1-6-21 is why.
Also, there is cost and time wasted. People working on auditing results that dont need to be audited over and over again could be doing something better with that time and money.
And we are a democracy. Just because you hate that word doesn't change the fact that we are a democracy.