What's new

Voter Suppression and Why The Republicans Love It So Much?

Photo ID historically has disproportionately hurt those who don’t use Driver’s licenses. So that would be primarily:
1. The elderly
2. The poor
3. POC

Facts matter.

And just because you claim that it doesn’t have a significant enough impact to swing an election doesn’t mean that it should be done. Just because you tried to disenfranchise people and failed because of Democrats stepping up registration efforts, doesn’t make your attempt to disenfranchise people right.

1. why not automatically register everyone?
2. Why don’t we have a National photo ID card? If you’re going to make photo ID required without adding an easier way to get photo ID, then you’re just begging for a net loss in voters.
3. You're still under the belief that these photo ID requirements are needed, why? Voter fraud was studied just a year or so ago and there were 30 cases of voter fraud in 1 billion votes over 15 years. While these photo ID laws are set to disenfranchise 20-30 million voters, so 10 percent of the electorate (disproportionately elderly, poorer, and POC).

Why?

Why is any of this necessary?

Especially when we already know from Republicans admitting that they’re trying to disenfranchise voters who tend to vote Democratic? so we know these increases in voter requirements aren’t good faith arguments.

I understand why Republican politicians don’t want to change their platform to be more popular. But I don’t understand why their voters don’t want to attract more people? Don’t they want to be in mainstream America? Or do they want to continue to lose step with the majority of the country both culturally and economically?

There are studies that have went both ways on voter ID.

We are getting far off base my original comment in this thread though, which is private entities (businesses) should not be intervening or trying to influence law making. If the laws are unconstitutional, they should be brought to the Supreme Court, that's why they exist. By playing government, the MLB has now cost minorities millions in revenue.

We are getting far off base my original comment in this thread though, which is private entities (businesses) should not be intervening or trying to influence law making. If the laws are unconstitutional, they should be brought to the Supreme Court, that's why they exist. By playing government, the MLB has now cost minorities millions in revenue.
Look, I agree, corporations aren't people. But since the Supreme Court has decided they are, and further determined that $$ is speech, ergo they can spend as much as they want to say whatever they want, well, then I'd rather they be making moves to protest, say, voter suppression or discriminatory bathroom laws than trying to loosen environmental regulations and offshoring jobs.

Last edited:
I love how Republicans are pretending to care about workers, especially workers of color. Anyone else remember in 2017 when they came a Mccain thumb short of ripping healthcare away from millions of Americans? Remember when they finally passed tax cuts for billionaires? I’m sure helping poor minorities was at the top of their priority list when trying to repeal Obamacare while passing tax cuts:
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said GOP donors will quit giving to Republicans if Congress does not pass tax reform.

Graham specifically said that "financial contributions will stop" for the GOP.

I love how Republicans are pretending to care about workers, especially workers of color. Anyone else remember in 2017 when they came a Mccain thumb short of ripping healthcare away from millions of Americans? Remember when they finally passed tax cuts for billionaires? I’m sure helping poor minorities was at the top of their priority list when trying to repeal Obamacare while passing tax cuts:

Lower tax rates = more investment in the US vs abroad = jobs! It was starting to work. Unemployment was around 3.5% (although labor participation rate still weak).
Did too many companies use the money on stock buybacks, yes, there needed to be provisions against that.

Had to paint a little red in here.

This is such old news.

I was finding books in the public libraries in the sixties which told this story. All kinds of books, from all kinds of political colors.

Corporate America was all about guvmint payola during the Civil War. Then there was the railroad loot. Guvmint paid private RR concerns to build their private RR lines, and gave them a section..... a square mile.... of public land per mile of RR laid, to boot. Our Robber Barons looted the public for every damn dime.

Today, our corporates know every damn dime of guvmint payola will come to their coffers whether it's for infrastructure of daycare. Where else can anyone spend money? Big Box stores like WalMart, and all the Chinese manufacturing, will glow with deficit spending.

Our corporates have paid their dues to get into the Chinese market, whether to sell or make stuff. They all have special ears for Mandarin, and have kowtowed just so to the Han Dynasty of the 22nd Century.

It's such a tired old story how Corporate America is the Real America, the powerhouse of America, the Influencer of America. The Beneficiary of the US "Budget".

In the nineties, the Rockefellers made their final purchase of the Democratic Party by setting up their man Bill. By then they also owned the Unions all across America. To be a Union Boss you had to have become a Corporate Made Man. Since then the Unions have collected the Union dues and sold out their workers.

This has gotta be a short post. ha ha.

Its a sort of big league question of who owns China, really.

But I think the Chinese businessmen looked at America and just copied our politics. Back then my faithful Marxist buddy bemoaned the Chinese as "State Capitalists". He didn't think they had a genuine Marxist belief in their bones. I tried to tell him that in Asia it's like British chivalry. When Lord Grey made his masterpiece about British nobility being the hope of humanity..... the movie "The Lady and the Highwayman", has the Devil's own tax man telling Silver Blade "Chivalry is for Fools".

Well, the fact is, in the orient and probably everywhere else "Believing Anything is for Fools". It's all about the money.

So we have a global bubble on our hands, and the wealthy are buying up all the hard assents. Every dollar of our spending will bid the prices up on land, homes, everything tangible. The resources that can't be bought will be "protected" or sequestered from use. Our politicians are getting their cut.

All our social engineering crap is just words to play with to keep the peasants at a safe distance from the levers of power. Nobody will dare to pop up and say anything. It's a game of social whackamole. Nobody in the upper beneficiary class cares at all about anyone, or about anything. They are just using the issues.

The thing is, they can't help themselves once this kind of greed runs their minds and actions. They will turn on one another. This whole thing is going to just pop.

But unlike other bubble blows, this time we have no place on earth that can produce the necessities when it blows.

But nutjobs like Bill Gates don't care. They have their retreats and safe houses well supplied, with private armies to boot. If 5 billion people starve or die fighting over trash lickings it's all good. They own the world, and the surplus humanity is unsustainable.

Last edited:
All techniques or voting methods can be construed as "voter suppression". Any kind of authority or law or regulation is "voter suppression". Even having a government is "voter suppression". Having a policeman, a sheriff, a tax collector is "voter suppression". Having a keyed entry to a home, or a property gate is "voter suppression".

But really, having any kind of protection for a voter's rights is more enabling than suppressing. Having a registration procedure that limits voting to 1 vote per voter protects the rights of all voters.

Having a chain of custody requirement to verify and count actual votes protects the rights of voters generally.

Eligibility requirements of residence and citizenship for voters defines the right to vote and protects all voters from fraud.

So when corporate or money interests become concerned about controlling the voting their way, that is the most outrageous kind of voter suppression. That is what our corporates now are fully invested in doing.

Little activists groups or agenda wonks who want to make up the rules to favor themselves are guilty of voter suppression.

Lower tax rates = more investment in the US vs abroad = jobs! It was starting to work. Unemployment was around 3.5% (although labor participation rate still weak).
Did too many companies use the money on stock buybacks, yes, there needed to be provisions against that.
Unemployment was already low (4.7 percent) in January of 2017 when Trump was inaugurated and had been trending in that direction since 2009.
1618332990968.png
Why wouldn't that trend have continued?

If you are interested in a reasonable conservative take on the Georgia Voting Laws, this guy does a pretty good job. I don't agree with every point he makes, but at least he does a good job of supporting his argument. Warning.......he thinks he's a lot funnier than he actually is.

If you are interested in a reasonable conservative take on the Georgia Voting Laws, this guy does a pretty good job. I don't agree with every point he makes, but at least he does a good job of supporting his argument. Warning.......he thinks he's a lot funnier than he actually is.

Why did any of these laws need to be passed? What voter fraud problem existed in Georgia that needed to be addressed with any legislation?

Why did any of these laws need to be passed? What voter fraud problem existed in Georgia that needed to be addressed with any legislation?
As a small government advocate, I'm often averse to more legislation. You're right, nothing really needed to change, but that's what politicians do.......they get laws passed that often times do nothing or screw us over.

can someone explain to me in a nutshell what the deal is with these laws ??
Would you prefer or Liberal or Conservative slant? JK.

Someone please add if I'm missing out key parts, which I'm sure I am:

-Expands early voting options. Requires that Saturdays are mandatory.
-Some minor changes to the identification requirements (specifically for absentee ballots). Need last 4 of social, DL number, or other form of ID needs to be attached (utility bill, etc.)
-Some new cutoff dates for absentee and mail in ballots (25 days before election I believe).
-Non-poll workers can't hand out refreshments to people waiting in line (supposedly to prevent gerrymandering). Polling stations can still have water available for people.
-Less available ballot drop boxes (from 94 to 23 from what I'm reading)

I'm my personal opinion, these are all very minor changes, much of which are already the law in other states. None of the changes were probably necessary, and political parties and the media are making a bigger deal about this than it really is.

-Some minor changes to the identification requirements (specifically for absentee ballots). Need last 4 of social, DL number, or other form of ID needs to be attached (utility bill, etc.)
-Some new cutoff dates for absentee and mail in ballots (25 days before election I believe).
-Non-poll workers can't hand out refreshments to people waiting in line (supposedly to prevent gerrymandering). Polling stations can still have water available for people.

I'm my personal opinion, these are all very minor changes, much of which are already the law in other states. None of the changes were probably necessary, and political parties and the media are making a bigger deal about this than it really is.
Except, these new laws definitely have an impact both at the micro and macro level.

At the micro level, It gives more power to Republican partisans rather than election officials. By limiting the number of drop boxes and requiring ID makes they've successfully made voting harder. Especially for those in urban areas and poorer populations. Who does that benefit? Republicans. Why are Republicans not trying to make it easier to vote and expand the voting base? Because identity politics. They’d rather fight for minority rule than change their platform and candidates to better compete for urban/suburban/younger/minority voters.

At the macro level, they’re fueling “Trump’s Big Lie” or “Lost Cause” if you want to connect it to a previous lie that severely impacted American democracy. If he had won Georgia and the two incumbent Republicans had won, Georgia wouldn’t be passing these laws. But because their team lost and Trump made a big deal out of it, now they’re working to disenfranchise voters under the guise of “election security.” It perpetuates the lie that the 2020 election was rigged. It’s an incredibly cynical move that combined with Tucker Carlson’s “White Replacement Theory” he’s spouting on a nightly basis, is creating a perverted worldview for a lot of conservatives. That worldview being:

1. Trump really won, Biden is illegitimate, and that’s why voting laws need to be more restrictive. Especially on those “others” (minorities, liberals, etc).
2. Democrats want to expand the electorate to replace white conservatives with minorities who are liberal.

So I don’t believe this is just “politicians making laws.” There’s definitely an agenda here and it’s incredibly cynical and authoritarian. It’s downright illiberal and very dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red

The expansions in early voting are still smaller than the early voting availability in the 2020 election. There are more restrictive eligibility requirements for absentee ballots. Ballot drop boxes will only available inside election offices during the early voting period, and urban counties (such as Fulton, which houses Atlanta) are restricted to the same number of ballot boxes as sparsely-populated counties.