What's new

Walker Kessler Hype & Appreciation Thread

I think Hardy understands the value of a 3D 5. Problem with Walker needs to be more consistent from range in a general sense and Fts in particular.
That's my point though. It's a chicken and egg kind of thing, or maybe analysis paralysis. He has to shoot in game situations to get the confidence and develop the skill, but they won't let him shoot unless he develops a shot, but he needs to shoot to develop his shot. They need to bite the bullet and get him a couple shots per game to develop his confidence.

That's my point though. It's a chicken and egg kind of thing, or maybe analysis paralysis. He has to shoot in game situations to get the confidence and develop the skill, but they won't let him shoot unless he develops a shot, but he needs to shoot to develop his shot. They need to bite the bullet and get him a couple shots per game to develop his confidence.
I think FTs are kind of more the issue. But if he can go from deep in scrimmage, preseason, or Worlds, then more power to him. I genuinely doubt Hardy would get on him for taking good shots he can hit. This isn't Sloan with Giricek.

I’d settle for him moving into the mid-to-high 70’s on free throws. That bumps his numbers up significantly and makes it so you can’t just foul him to take him out of the offensive game plan.

Exactly. The corner 3's are a pipe dream right now. If he starts hitting those at some point, fantastic... but for Walker, that's a bonus.

Getting better at FT's is not a bonus, it's a must.

Exactly. The corner 3's are a pipe dream right now. If he starts hitting those at some point, fantastic... but for Walker, that's a bonus.

Getting better at FT's is not a bonus, it's a must.
I mean he HAS hit that shot, in a game, in his Rookie year. It's not really a "pipe-dream," it is definitely something that could be in his arsenal as his career progresses if he works hard enough. It would appear that it is something he is working on, at least.

I still think, even as Jazz fans that we are underrating Walker Kessler. Remember the 12 page flame war involving Tony Jones we had here arguing if Kessler was an elite athlete? Good times. . .

I mean he HAS hit that shot, in a game, in his Rookie year. It's not really a "pipe-dream," it is definitely something that could be in his arsenal as his career progresses if he works hard enough. It would appear that it is something he is working on, at least.

I still think, even as Jazz fans that we are underrating Walker Kessler. Remember the 12 page flame war involving Tony Jones we had here arguing if Kessler was an elite athlete? Good times. . .

That is a weird thing to bring up since Walker isn't an elite athlete. He doesn't need to be an elite athlete though to be really good.

As I said, it would be awesome if Kessler found a reasonably respectable corner 3pt shot at some point. We're just a long way from that being a priority.

His inability to make FT's is actually harming both him and the Jazz offense right now. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

As I said, it would be awesome if Kessler found a reasonably respectable corner 3pt shot at some point. We're just a long way from that being a priority.

His inability to make FT's is actually harming both him and the Jazz offense right now. It needs to be fixed ASAP.
I think he will be fine. We sometimes forget that he was a rookie last year, and there is a lot of stupid to be wrung out of rookies. If he can sit there and hit 10 corner 3's in a row unguarded, he can hit free throws. I think part of it is how amped up he is. As he becomes more comfortable those ft's will fall. Doing Team USA and having a guaranteed starter role will help that mental aspect. He knows he belongs.

Kessler's been my favorite player since fairly early last season. I always love a better-than-expected story anyway, but I love his goofy humor and his outgoing personality.

My mother, who watched all the games last year with me, just watched his sideline interview during tonight's game. She is genuinely surprised that he is such an engaging guy and thought he was "boring" previously. She couldn't understand why I liked him last season.

What? I know she has dementia, but she must be further gone than I thought.

Walker is #14 in current MIP odds which is 4th best among all sophomores.

He is also #44 in Rotowire fantasy player projections ahead of guys like Jalen Brunson, Jamal Murray, Julius Randle, Zach Lavine and Rudy Gobert.

Not the best metrics but still good indication that there are people outside of Jazz fans and organisation who really believe in him.