What's new

Was Fes' Play Last Night An Aberration?

A little resume from last season, just to remind yawl, eh?:

[March 20, 2010]

Road stumble costly for the Jazz: Thunder, Suns now just one game back for fourth spot in the West.

"Sloan opened the second half with Kyrylo Fesenko in for Okur, then gave Fesenko an earful when he came out after picking up three fouls. Moments later, Sloan got up and confronted Fesenko at the end of the bench, saying afterward that Fesenko had thrown a towel."

That really aint the best part of the tale, though, The main take-home message is that Sloan, he ROCKS, eh!?

"Arguing with referee Michael Smith along the sideline, Sloan shoved Smith in the chest with his forearm and was ejected for the first time this season. Sloan previously was suspended seven games for shoving referee Courtney Kirkland in a January 2003 game... Before he shoved Smith, Sloan had to be blocked by arena security guards from approaching the referee crew of Smith, Dick Bavetta and Phil Robinson as they conducted their video review at the scorer's table. It is NBA policy for arena security to position themselves between the benches and the referees during reviews. Sloan made contact and backed up one guard before two others arrived to help restrain him. Once the review was over, Sloan took things up with Smith...

"I'm not going to lie to them," Sloan said. "Whatever penalties they have, I'm not going to run and hide from it or beg for somebody to . . . .I've been there before. It's not my first rodeo."

https://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2010/03/20/4682971.htm
thanks for sharing, hopper. Given that you were posting it in a Fesenko thread, perhaps your intention was to point out Fes's three fouls, benching, and alleged towel-throwing. Given that Sloan PUSHED A REF in the same game, I will add this to the mounting evidence of Sloan's inequitable treatment of players--and others. In a game in which Sloan was so raving mad that he was thrown out, I'm going to place little weight on whatever justification he had on chewing out Fesenko. Also, sometimes committing a foul or two on the court (when the matador frontcourt wasn't) is just what the doctor ordered.

Fortunately Fes continues to improve (more like 3 steps forward, 1 or 2 steps back) consistent with his trajectory last year in the playoffs, so with time, this topic becomes increasingly moot. It doesn't excuse Sloan from putting no effort whatsoever in finding minutes for Fes, even when he had stated that he was intending to and even when Fes had showed progress on the court and even when the existing big-man rotation was sucking, but it looks like he might have found a place in the rotation, perhaps even ahead of Elson. BTW, some players might be more entertaining than others, but I don't care who plays as long as they are the optimal combination at any given time, taking into account both the short term (winning, current team performance) and the long term (development, injuries, playoffs). What is great about this year is that any suboptimal substitution pattern or lineup that Sloan puts out there will be at least compensated for by the motivation and performance that is sufficiently high at all positions, two or three players deep.

I will add this to the mounting evidence of Sloan's inequitable treatment of players--and others. In a game in which Sloan was so raving mad that he was thrown out, I'm going to place little weight on whatever justification he had on chewing out Fesenko. Also, sometimes committing a foul or two on the court (when the matador frontcourt wasn't) is just what the doctor ordered.

Of course you will add it to the "evidence" which you think supports your half-baked conclusions. What else is new, eh, S2? Everything that happens proves your assumptions. How could it not? Your premises are indisputably true, and nuthin can be inconsistent with the true facts--it just aint possible.

The real truth is that Fess shoulda been held responsible for, and paid, the big-*** fine Jer got because Fess's antics primed him to the verge of goin ballistic. Commendably, he didn't knock the crap outta Fess, like he really wanted, but took it out on the refs instead. Do the Fess fanboyz appreciate Jer's sacrifice? Hell no, the ingrates, them.

Of course you will add it to the "evidence" which you think supports your half-baked conclusions. What else is new, eh, S2? Everything that happens proves your assumptions. How could it not? Your premises are indisputably true, and nuthin can be inconsistent with the true facts--it just aint possible.

The real truth is that Fess shoulda been held responsible for, and paid, the big-*** fine Jer got because Fess's antics primed him to the verge of goin ballistic. Commendably, he didn't knock the crap outta Fess, like he really wanted, but took it out on the refs instead. Do the Fess fanboyz appreciate Jer's sacrifice? Hell no, the ingrates, them.
Now THAT'S hilarious. I guess that the referee should have been fined also for provoking Sloan to pushing him.

Classic Hopper logic.

BTW, what sacrifice are you talking about? I can think of about 6 million reasons (per year)--plus 82 front-row seats per year and posh hotels on the road--why Sloan's "sacrifice" isn't a sacrifice at all.

Now THAT'S hilarious. I guess that the referee should have been fined also for provoking Sloan to pushing him.

Classic Hopper logic.

I knew you would appreciate the logic, S2, cause it aint mine, it yours. Whatever happens to my boy aint HIS fault, it's sumbuddy else's.

Right. That must be it. I'm going to ask you a question and I want you to be honest with me.

Are you write4u?

No, he's me (and Hopper), probably, according to write4u. But he's not YB85.

DW averaged almost 30 minutes per game in his first season, and he started 47 of them, and he had almost 4 times as many minutes as Fesenko had in his first three years, so lack of playing time (or lack of starting during the first half of the season) was not a significant factor in hindering Deron's development; he ended up averaging near-starter minutes even when he played part of the season as a backup.

Deron improve as a PG even while spending most of his minutes as a SG, but Fesenko can't improve as a center unless he plays center on the floor. No wonder Sloan doesn't treat him equally.

Again, I'm not denying that he's in better shape this year. I am denying that Fesenko was given enough minutes last year ...

Had he been in better shape, he would have gotten more minutes.

... I will add this to the mounting evidence of Sloan's inequitable treatment of players--and others.

I should hpe Sloan treat players unequally, as they have unequal levels of talent and discipline.

It doesn't excuse Sloan from putting no effort whatsoever in finding minutes for Fes, ...

It was Fesenko's job to be in shape enough to warrant minutes.

Dude you are funny.

Seriously? WTF? Seriously? you are going to blame Sloan's outburst on the refs because Fes threw a towel? Dude that's funny. You are joking right.

Seriously? WTF? Seriously? you are going to blame Sloan's outburst on the refs because Fes threw a towel? Dude that's funny. You are joking right.

Of course I'm jokin, Go4. Now you go on ahead and fess up too, kay? You're jokin about your claims that the Sloan is the one who caused, and is responsible for, Fess not playin more last year, right?

I think mebbe good ole Eddie Cochran summed up the appropiate sentiments best, ya know?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOKwA6uvBc

In case ya caint tell from the strong resemblence, Eddie Cochran was Sloan's stage name when he usta rock and roll with his hair dyed, years back. He LOVES Fess. Always has, always will.

Last edited:
No, he's me (and Hopper), probably, according to write4u. But he's not YB85.

Deron improve as a PG even while spending most of his minutes as a SG, but Fesenko can't improve as a center unless he plays center on the floor. No wonder Sloan doesn't treat him equally.
There is still a huge difference between the rate of development at a different position than there is at the rate of development of sitting on the bench. You can still develop shooting, defense, rebounding, even assists. By this point, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you would make such an argument, but the amazement continues.

Had he been in better shape, he would have gotten more minutes.
"Shape" (conditioning) was not a limiting factor at the number of minutes that Fesenko was playing, and Fesenko showed in the playoffs that he was capable of playing more minutes conditioningwise, and that wasn't the first time that he had done that during last season. He proved it in a back-to-back in February--and I use this example because I have a citation, something that you rarely provide--which, in this case was a 9-point, 6-RB performance that came on the heels of 15 minutes in a game night before, in which he went 8 and 6.
https://www.nba.com/games/20100221/UTAPOR/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore
https://www.nba.com/games/20100222/ATLUTA/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

The article also cites a fellow player saying that Fesenko "has been working hard all year" which really flies in the face of the lack-of-work-ethic ("jackpotting") claims that you have been spewing.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article...t-spot-in-Utah-Jazz-loss-to-Atlanta.html?pg=2
It also is consistent with Sloan's statements during last season of his intention to get Fesenko more minutes

Any coach who focused on making his team better overall optimally is going to find a way to get players who are making strides on the court (and play a crucial position) is going to keep finding minutes. There was PT to be redistributed without risking the outcome of the game.

I should hpe Sloan treat players unequally, as they have unequal levels of talent and discipline.
Don't be silly with semantics. "Equally" doesn't mean giving them all of them the same minutes; it means giving them minutes according to their on-court performance.

It was Fesenko's job to be in shape enough to warrant minutes.
Addressed above. Also, it is Sloan's job to make sure that the team has enough on-court experience (based on the constraints of court time) to be able to play when injuries or other situations call for it. Sloan failed to do so, even though it had been clear for years that the center spot was weak (confirmed repeatedly by KOC), and when Okur went down, Fesenko was able to make a similar contribution that Okur did (when taking into account Okur's typical offensive production minus his damaging defensive production) but did not have the experience to do significantly better, as evidenced that his deficiencies on the court were directly related to on-court experience (fouling too much, too many turnovers, not being able to implement scoring moves (against the eventual world champions, btw), etc.). We've been through this. Fes bears some of the responsibility for not getting minutes due to not being more focused and better conditioned (even though this didn't stop other players (Okur) from playing significant minutes in the past, but Sloan bears some of the responsibility also, especially given that he had stated publicly that he wanted to find Fes more floor time.

A few years ago in the playoffs, when Fisher was in New York and Deron was injured, Dee Brown, who hardly played at all during the regular season, came in and played with a great deal of poise and energy.

Same with Price, who was third string behind Deron and Knight a couple years back. He was virtually the best player on the floor in one of the last games against the Lakers that year.

Neither of them complained that they couldn't play well because Sloan hadn't played them more during the year. Both said that they just worked all year to "be ready" as Sloan asked them to be.

Nor do I recall them claiming that they would have been better than Jordan, if only they had played more earlier.

Zup wit dat, ya figure?

With regard to Price, I recall Sloan sayin that Price proved he should have been played more earlier in the year. But Sloan wasn't sayin that because Price sucked and he wanted him to be better and/or to learn how to try harder. He said it because Price *was* good, and gave it all he had. Big difference.

Holy **** is this thread really still going on? . Everything being talked about in this tread is in the past. Let see how things happen this year. Because this year is all that matters right now.

Holy **** is this thread really still going on? . Everything being talked about in this tread is in the past. Let see how things happen this year. Because this year is all that matters right now.

Ben, this thread has been goin on as many years as S2 has been on the board. The names may change, but the lame arguments are always the same. As I have said before: It says S2 has a post count of 571, but he really aint never made but one post--571 times.

Once Fess starts gittin regular minutes, I wonder who Sloan will completely ruin this year to the point where he needs S2 as a fanboy advocate 24/7? Elston, mebbe?

Ben, this thread has been goin on as many years as S2 has been on the board. The names may change, but the lame arguments are always the same. As I have said before: It says S2 has a post count of 571, but he really aint never made but one post--571 times.

Understood Hopper, But How may different ways do we have to try to reply to all those and still get the same thing back? Sometimes enough is enough. I got into this a few times. And each time after hearing the same thing over and over I just said. Ok thats his opinion. So be it. Let see who is right in the end.

I'm betting on Evans. Should we put up a poll? :b

Yeah, you could be right Ben, but my thinkin was like this here. If Memo comes back strong, Fess plays a lot, and Jefferson is also given minutes at the 5, and if, as a consequence, the Jazz win a crapload fulla games, that can only prove one thang, to wit: That Sloan is a jackass and should have cut back all their minutes to play Elston.

To be fair he cut on those stupid emoticons, I'd call that an improvement. However the new name seems to be a bit of a stretch, since all the strategy we have heard from him so far is a constant repetition of the brilliant thought that giving fes more playing time on the floor will develop his lazy ukrainian arse.

P.S. a 9 page thread about Kyrylo effin Fesenko is nothing short of ridiculous.

A few years ago in the playoffs, when Fisher was in New York and Deron was injured, Dee Brown, who hardly played at all during the regular season, came in and played with a great deal of poise and energy.
Derek Fisher is probably one of the most damaging examples to your argument that you could think of. During his season with the Jazz, Fisher got completely pwned repeatedly at the 2 spot and averaged about 38% FG for the season (and an underwhelming <31% from the trey), which was probably among the league's worst for starting SGs.

Besides a truly heroic return during the playoffs and perhaps a few other clutch shots, his on-court performance was subpar, and he is one of the greatest examples of the opposite extreme: Sloan overplaying a player despite his truly damaging the team's success. You have just pointed out a better example than any other one that I have shared of the misguided judgment that Sloan has SOMETIMES had in evaluating players, and it is reasonable to infer that Fisher's high character, reputation, and locker-room leadership influenced Sloan (unintentionally; all players want to play) to give DF more minutes than what was optimal for the team. He should've been substantially a backup point guard to Deron, with MAYBE 5 MPG extra alongside D-Will per game plus possibly extra minutes in clutch time.

Same with Price, who was third string behind Deron and Knight a couple years back. He was virtually the best player on the floor in one of the last games against the Lakers that year.
Great. And Price is an excellent example of a player who is useful (beyond giving DW a rest) for specific situations such as annoying Kobe or defending Jason Terry or dunking over Boozer. Your mention of Price is bad example because Fesenko has hustled pretty hard in games--too hard, sometimes, leading to excessive fouls. And if you are suggesting that Price has worked hard off the court, as in practice, then it hasn't paid off to the extent that it ought to, because he is still hovering at a 40% FG (just like Fisher, coincidentally) with very low assist rate for a point guard. So while both Fes and Price have been helpful defensively, at least Fes--even in the limited minutes that he has gotten--has been able to keep his FG percentage above 50% in the past two seasons, and I would reckon that 50% FG for a center is equivalent to 45% FG for a guard.

Neither of them complained that they couldn't play well because Sloan hadn't played them more during the year. Both said that they just worked all year to "be ready" as Sloan asked them to be.
Irrelevant. Fisher averaged 27 MPG. That is far above the 10 MPG or so that I have been saying for a long time that is the minimum to develop players (or keep veterans in game rhythm, for that matter). Also, I don't see that Fesenko has been complaining very much, even though he has logged about half the PT that Ronnie Price did at the same point in his NBA career. Also, most of the time Deron does a good job out there, so there are fewer situations in which Price (or the backup PG) "should" be out there instead of the alternatives. Okur and Boozer and sometimes Millsap (not usually for lack of effort) on the other hand, were more often innefective at the 4/5, and porous interior defense was a primary problem almost every night. Fesenko was a potential mitigation or stopgap for that problem for 10-15 MPG, and Sloan didn't use that resource enough.

Nor do I recall them claiming that they would have been better than Jordan, if only they had played more earlier.
Typical Hopper hyperbole drivel that I have never claimed. For most of this argument, I have stated that Fesenko deserved 10 to 15 minutes per, in large part because few players of any skill level can develop with less time than that. You seem to be going out on some tangent about whether Fisher-Price toyed (pun intended) with complaining to Sloan. As I have laid out in detail above, Fisher should have been kissing Jerry's feet for giving him more time than what was best for the team. That hasn't happened so much for Price, but he should be grateful that a 40%-shooting backup PG who doesn't run the offense very well could stick around for so long.

Zup wit dat, ya figure?

With regard to Price, I recall Sloan sayin that Price proved he should have been played more earlier in the year. But Sloan wasn't sayin that because Price sucked and he wanted him to be better and/or to learn how to try harder. He said it because Price *was* good, and gave it all he had. Big difference.
Absolutely ridiculous that you are following up Fisher example with Price. RP is one of the hardest workers on the court, and he has been a crucial defender at times, but his shooting has been poor and inconsistent. If Price were the standard for effort (sometimes sacrificing his body), then few players would fit.

Pretty much any player on the team but Ronnie Price would be a better example for your argument, given that 5 years and 4 times as many minutes as Fesenko has not been enough for him to turn into a consistent point guard. If anything, I could make an argument that he needed more playing time also because he barely made the 10 minutes per available game threshold, both last year and over his career, and whatever effort he has put forth in practice and off the court hasn't been enough for him to turn into a more reliable shooter or a more prolific distributor. In other words, you have provided me with an example of a player with serious work ethic but either insufficient minutes or talent or both to become a reliable backup--yet another boost for my argument. Given that Fes has shown signs of progress that began toward the end of last season, it is reasonable to predict that Fes's threshold of skill has not been reached. As for Ronnie P, I'm not so sure. At some point, NBA players level off; and he's now 27 years old, vs. a mere 23 1/3 for Fesenko.

Understood Hopper, But How may different ways do we have to try to reply to all those and still get the same thing back? Sometimes enough is enough. I got into this a few times. And each time after hearing the same thing over and over I just said. Ok thats his opinion. So be it. Let see who is right in the end.
Bear in mind, Ben, that very rarely have I actually made a post except in response to someone else (usually Hopper or Unibrow). Hopper's posts probably do vary more than mine because he throws up ideas that greatly vary in their relevance. In many cases, they just provide examples and further evidence for my case; I wouldn't have thought about Harpring or the Atlanta game or Derek Fisher (lolz) without Hopper, and I definitely didn't introduce the weight thing, especially since the information was inconsistent. But the bottom line is that in this thread, it has taken at least two to tango.

To be fair he cut on those stupid emoticons, I'd call that an improvement. However the new name seems to be a bit of a stretch, since all the strategy we have heard from him so far is a constant repetition of the brilliant thought that giving fes more playing time on the floor will develop his lazy ukrainian arse.
. . . except that allocating minutes is one of the most crucial aspects of in-game strategy that a coach has the authority and responsibility to carry out.

P.S. a 9 page thread about Kyrylo effin Fesenko is nothing short of ridiculous.
. . . except that a third big in the 4/5 rotation is a crucial cog to most championship contenders (see Odom playing the 4 for the Fakers and the Wallaces playing 4/5 for Detroit a few years back), and the lack thereof (see Phoenix a few years ago, see a Perkinless celtics last year). Oh, and that it has arguably been Utah's biggest correctable weakness for the past two or three years.