What's new

Was this the cop's fault?

It appears the cops drastically over react but I want the whole story before wholesale condemnation.

What a mess.

That woman showed extremely poor judgement.

That said, the officers should have taken a deep breath and realized they would be able to take control of the situation sooner or later and that it wasn't necessary to amp things up the way they did. There was no immediate threat, just a scared woman not obeying orders.

Hard to say how I feel about the kid. He's a 14 year old thinking he's defending his mom. Stupid, sure. But he's 14. Stupid is to be expected, especially in that sort of situation. His mom set the tone of that encounter.

The cop shouldn't have fired his weapon, even if he was aiming for the tire, but wtf was that lady doing? Not that hard to cooperate during a traffic stop.

You can't blame the first officer for freaking out when he has a van with who knows what in it and a teenager coming at him. Any traffic stop could be the stop that some crazy person pulls a gun on him.

£¥£

What a mess.

That said, the officers should have taken a deep breath and realized they would be able to take control of the situation sooner or later and that it wasn't necessary to amp things up the way they did. There was no immediate threat, just a scared woman not obeying orders.

Hard to say how I feel about the kid. He's a 14 year old thinking he's defending his mom. Stupid, sure. But he's 14. Stupid is to be expected, especially in that sort of situation. His mom set the tone of that encounter.

This.

His mom and the cops set the tone. There was a lot they could have done to reign in the situation without resorting to firing a weapon at a bunch of kids, in essence. They could have handled the stop better. The backup could have been prepared to block in the vehicle since he knew it was a flight situation.

This was an interesting statement to me:

Eighth Judicial District Attorney Donald Gallegos said the situation could have been avoided if Farrell had followed the officer's instructions. "She wouldn't do the simple act of just signing a ticket," Gallegos said.

How many of these are there going to be where people are put at real risk for not signing at ticket? Seems beyond ridiculous. I think the whole don't sign a ticket - get arrested thing is such a load of crap. Every cop has dash cam now. Just have a place for the officer to note that they refused to sign, hand them a copy, and jack up the fine if they don't appear. But it is stupid beyond belief that people's lives are put at risk because they disagreed and didn't want to sign a piece of paper over what often amounts to such minor ********.

[edit: granted once she ran she was going down, and that was where the cops could have handled it better. but if they could just mark "refused to sign" and handed her a copy there would have been no need to run in the first place.]

I agree. Not doing what a cop tells you should not be a life or death situation. The police have become quite militant. Not by choice but because of what they're being asked to do...but I don't want to go on a rant about the drug war again.

Turns out she had a couple marijuana pipes in her car.

The cop shouldn't have fired his weapon, even if he was aiming for the tire, but wtf was that lady doing? Not that hard to cooperate during a traffic stop.

You can't blame the first officer for freaking out when he has a van with who knows what in it and a teenager coming at him. Any traffic stop could be the stop that some crazy person pulls a gun on him.

£¥£

Secondary responding officers are generally held to loose standards when they show up on a scene with weapons drawn. WTS, if there wasn't a big enough threat for the original officer to shoot then there wasn't imminent threat to shoot at runaways.

But I also don't think he was shooting at the van. It looked off the side and down scare tactic to me.

What a mess.

Solid post. What a complete cluster **** of a situation.

I agree. Not doing what a cop tells you should not be a life or death situation. The police have become quite militant. Not by choice but because of what they're being asked to do...but I don't want to go on a rant about the drug war again.

Turns out she had a couple marijuana pipes in her car.

I watched a video last week of ten or so California officers beating a guy to death in his parked car.

The guy was in a drive through and dazed and couldn't move the car, so some workers helped push him into a parking stall and called 911. The cops showed up and the guy was uncooperative so they beat the living **** out of a man, sitting in his car, trying to eat a Whopper.

I always wonder why these guys don't take a deep breath and tell the guy they have all day to wait. That would make my conscience a whole lot cleaner than beating the **** out of someone who clearly has no clue what's going on.

I watched a video last week of ten or so California officers beating a guy to death in his parked car.

The guy was in a drive through and dazed and couldn't move the car, so some workers helped push him into a parking stall and called 911. The cops showed up and the guy was uncooperative so they beat the living **** out of a man, sitting in his car, trying to eat a Whopper.

I always wonder why these guys don't take a deep breath and tell the guy they have all day to wait. That would make my conscience a whole lot cleaner than beating the **** out of someone who clearly has no clue what's going on.

What a horrible story. I seriously don't understand the hurry of some people. It's like if they don't resolve it right now, the world will end. Sucks for that dude.

I just looked up this encounter. I had not heard about it.

https://www.pe.com/local-news/river...ice-silent-on-death-of-man-at-burger-king.ece

Well, both Riverside police officers and sheriffs have a reputation of being really racist and corrupt. As do the ones that work the Redondo Beach area. As an Angeleno you hear horror stories about these departments all the time. If you have the misfortune of LWB (living while black) well, all bets are off.

Last edited:
Any traffic stop could be the stop that some crazy person pulls a gun on him.

Many big cities have higher murder rates among non-police than you have murder rates of police.

However, I agree that the police officers are not to blame, because we've been training the police to respond more and more violently over the last couple of decades, and it's unfair to expect them to circumvent their training.