What's new

We got the 1st pick in the draft!

Stifle Tower

Punch Bowl Re-Filler
Can't get me for trolling because I didn't try to post in the Jazz thread. So anyway, I got suckered into coaching my daughter's basketball team. Mainly because we missed the registration deadline and there was a huge waiting list in her division. Probably would have not gotten in had I not volunteered to be a coach. It was an interesting task watching 8/9 yr. old girls run through try-outs, having to rank them and then head into the draft room. Couldn't believe it when I drew the Ace of Spades and got the #1 pick. Was able to get the best player hands down and then my daughter was assigned to me as a 2nd-round pick. She was thrilled to be ranked that high since she's moving up a division. Not only that, she had to try-out with a cast on her right wrist (league rules would have made her my #1 pick had she skipped the assessment). Hope my luck rubs off on the Jazz. BTW, if any of you coaching vets have ideas on some FUN drills I can run for her age group, please PM me.

They assign WNBA names and colors to the teams. I had to suffer through a year of watching her play in the purple and gold of the Sparks last season. PLEASE, if there is a HIGHER POWER, don't let us have to be that team again.

My uncle would have some ideas for you, but they would probably lead to your arrest

Can't get me for trolling because I didn't try to post in the Jazz thread. So anyway, I got suckered into coaching my daughter's basketball team. Mainly because we missed the registration deadline and there was a huge waiting list in her division. Probably would have not gotten in had I not volunteered to be a coach. It was an interesting task watching 8/9 yr. old girls run through try-outs, having to rank them and then head into the draft room. Couldn't believe it when I drew the Ace of Spades and got the #1 pick. Was able to get the best player hands down and then my daughter was assigned to me as a 2nd-round pick. She was thrilled to be ranked that high since she's moving up a division. Not only that, she had to try-out with a cast on her right wrist (league rules would have made her my #1 pick had she skipped the assessment). Hope my luck rubs off on the Jazz. BTW, if any of you coaching vets have ideas on some FUN drills I can run for her age group, please PM me.

They assign WNBA names and colors to the teams. I had to suffer through a year of watching her play in the purple and gold of the Sparks last season. PLEASE, if there is a HIGHER POWER, don't let us have to be that team again.
t h e on ly rhing I wou lsd work on ti dir ibling op aj do wm th e coyhrt an d de fensibe fet work/ little giels suck at baakmketbakl there wil ber a lot of fast break s.

From what I've seen in girl's basketball at that age, the tendency is to gravitate toward the action. The concept of spacing is very foreign. That's the biggest thing to deal with.

Also have to make drills fun for them. Teach them how to chest pass, but just one on one drills with chest passes will bore them. Maybe something like get five of them in a circle and have them "draw" a star by making chest passes and see how fast they can do it.

Girls at that age don't tend to have the goal of competing to win as the point of the sport. They'll only play well if it's fun for them to do so.