What's new

We signed Jeff Green

Another excellent signing by the front office. With him, Davis and Mudiay we've added a lot of depth to the roster. Is the plan to start Green at the 4 and bring Joe off the bench?

I’m fairly lukewarm toward Green, but we need to look at the comparison of what he’s replacing — he’s replacing Favors playing the 4 in the starting lineup. Favors was effective as the backup center but his value was negated by duplication with Gobert. Green’s shooting is fairly inconsistent but it’s like Jae’s numbers, and Jae provided a lot more spacing compared to Favors. However people want to argue about who is better between Jae and Derrick, we were better with Jae’s fit. So El Jefé gets Derricks first and third quarter minutes plus some other spot minutes and Ed Davis gets Derrick’s backup center minutes. So I think we did pretty good. Green is/should be relegated to catch and shoot only.

if you look for it moneywise, green and davis is basically crowder contratc (and bogey is favors, but that's easier considering we dumped one for cap to the other)

They said we needed shooter, and we got them!

The spacing will be fun to watch. Green has always been streaky, but fun to watch. There's a little Rodney Hood inside him....

Green's agent
2xg6kik7g5531.jpg

Oh ****!

This had me rolling.

This really helps us out in two key ways (at least).

1. It allows Boggie to start at the 3, and have Jingles be our 6th man. Really where I wanted to Joe to be, and where he can be elite.

2. It continues to improve our shooting, and floor spacing. With Green out there, Boggie, and Conley we are in floor space heaven for DM!

1. It allows Boggie to start at the 3, and have Jingles be our 6th man. Really where I wanted to Joe to be, and where he can be elite.

2. It continues to improve our shooting, and floor spacing. With Green out there, Boggie, and Conley we are in floor space heaven for DM!

Plus with the acquisition of guys like Mudiay, Joe can play the facilitator in the second unit with some scoring punch around him as well. The roster has gained crazy amounts of flexibility.

They said we needed shooter, and we got them!

The spacing will be fun to watch. Green has always been streaky, but fun to watch. There's a little Rodney Hood inside him....

Don't offend Green like that He is much better than Hood and has accomplished way more consistency

I still think they're going to try to start Boggie at the 4 and Green will come off the bench.

Green can do some good things tho one of them is not rebounding. He's below average for a 4 - in fact his RB% is only slightly higher than Boggie. I think you start Ingles at the 3 so he can facilitate for Gobert. With Favors gone, the Ingles/Favors PnR is gone. Jazz need to reshape the 2nd team offense and Green is that guy.

I still think they're going to try to start Boggie at the 4 and Green will come off the bench.

Green can do some good things tho one of them is not rebounding. He's below average for a 4 - in fact his RB% is only slightly higher than Boggie. I think you start Ingles at the 3 so he can facilitate for Gobert. With Favors gone, the Ingles/Favors PnR is gone. Jazz need to reshape the 2nd team offense and Green is that guy.

Jazz will start with Green, but probably close with Gobert/Bogie/Jingles/Mitchell/Conley. Rebounding might take a slight hit this year, but our offense is vastly improved. Anyway, I think the idea here is to have Jingles be 6th man, where he wants/offered to be, and allow Bojan to do his thing. The second unit will feature Mudiay, Exum/Niang, Ingles, Royce, and Davis. That's a nice crew by itself. I think Mudiay will probably be the key to scoring in that unit. He clipped about 32% from 3 last year, so he's not great. I think some of it will be simply having pressure taken off of him and give him time to develop. If he can bump to 35%? We're looking fantastic.

Jazz will start with Green, but probably close with Gobert/Bogie/Jingles/Mitchell/Conley. Rebounding might take a slight hit this year, but our offense is vastly improved. Anyway, I think the idea here is to have Jingles be 6th man, where he wants/offered to be, and allow Bojan to do his thing. The second unit will feature Mudiay, Exum/Niang, Ingles, Royce, and Davis. That's a nice crew by itself. I think Mudiay will probably be the key to scoring in that unit. He clipped about 32% from 3 last year, so he's not great. I think some of it will be simply having pressure taken off of him and give him time to develop. If he can bump to 35%? We're looking fantastic.
Good post.

Just want to point out that if D/rebounding becomes enough of an issue, they should be able to play Davis alongside Gobert as an emergency.

Additionally, Mudiay shoots 30% on threes off-the-dribble, but scratches 40% on catch-and-shoot from the corners. Has Exum ever made an off-the-dribble 3 in an NBA game?

Good post.

Just want to point out that if D/rebounding becomes enough of an issue, they should be able to play Davis alongside Gobert as an emergency.

Additionally, Mudiay shoots 30% on threes off-the-dribble, but scratches 40% on catch-and-shoot from the corners. Has Exum ever made an off-the-dribble 3 in an NBA game?

I recall one or two last year, with a big celebration commencing after it.

Good post.

I remember getting real excited when he hit one against OKC because OKC kept going under every PnR by a loooooooooong way to stop the Favors roll and stayed home on shooters so he pulled up and knocked one down from the top of the key.

The second unit will feature Mudiay, Exum/Niang, Ingles, Royce, and Davis. That's a nice crew by itself.

Not it isn't. That unit will be subject to long scoring droughts. The Jazz will be right back in the same exact situation they were last year before they got Korver.

They need a basket maker in the second unit. That'll be Green.