What's new

Weight Loss Surgery

The dad of my oldest son’s team mate had it done years ago. Still looks great. The doctor wouldn’t do it until he gave up beer. Took him a long time. The one thing he says he regrets is that his body will no longer allow him to eat steak (might be all beef, I can’t remember). He gags on it every time. Can’t get it down.

The dad of my oldest son’s team mate had it done years ago. Still looks great. The doctor wouldn’t do it until he gave up beer. Took him a long time. The one thing he says he regrets is that his body will no longer allow him to eat steak (might be all beef, I can’t remember). He gags on it every time. Can’t get it down.
Funny thing my wife has experienced, and we have heard from most everyone in the Facebook group she joined for support, is that some things change dramatically. Like before her surgery my wife was a pastry and sweets fiend. It was her favorite thing in the world. Sweets means more like cake and pudding than candy. But after she can't stomach anything very sweet at all. She nearly gags on it.

She has no trouble with most meats, no different than before, but anything with nearly any kind of flour or cereal grains, like wheat, rye, oat, etc. causes pretty severe gastric distress.

From her Facebook group we've heard all kinds of things, salty foods, or grains, or sugary food, or high fiber foods in general to even fish or fruit can cause issues where before it was fine. Her doctor told her to expect her tastes to change and it's really true. Seems really weird. Her doctor said they don't know why it does that and why it isn't consistent, but he said nearly every patient he's had in 20+years had major changes like this seemingly at random.

Some things that seem to be more universal are soda, which they tell you never to drink again anyway due to bloating, grains and high fiber foods at least too much at once, and meats, all tend to cause issues, to a greater or lesser degree.

My wife has lost 41 pounds since January 1st by limiting her calorie intake to ~700 calories a day. She sees a doctor every two weeks and they talk (therapy of sorts) and it’s out of pocket up front (we get reimbursed about 80%) so spending that money and having the bi-weekly visits makes her feel obligated to be accountable since she hates wasting money and knows she’ll be seeing the doctor.

My wife has lost 41 pounds since January 1st by limiting her calorie intake to ~700 calories a day. She sees a doctor every two weeks and they talk (therapy of sorts) and it’s out of pocket up front (we get reimbursed about 80%) so spending that money and having the bi-weekly visits makes her feel obligated to be accountable since she hates wasting money and knows she’ll be seeing the doctor.
That's a small *** amount of calories!

My brother has yet to figure out what he likes and doesn't. He says one time he'll like something, and it will taste terrible the next time.

Also, he has a lot of gas and diarrhea now. His least favorite part of this.

Has anyone had sleeve? The examples cited here are bypass.
My sister in law had the sleeve. It really wasn't that different at the outset, other than she could eat slightly more food. But she had all the same issues with discomfort with over-eating and changes in taste and such. Really listening to them talk about it, it seemed like they had exactly the same surgery. One difference between the 2 is that with the sleeve they tend to have more issues with acid reflux than the roux-en-Y, and it is easier to expand out their stomach to accommodate more food over time. So it tends to be slightly less effective and has a slightly greater chance of relapse. Otherwise for them both it has been nearly identical experiences. But her SIL lost about 60-70 pounds total (she's really small to begin with, like 5'4"), and she kept it off for the better part of 5 years but in the last year or two she has put about 40-50 pounds back on. I understand that is somewhat easier to do with the sleeve too.

One difference is with the sleeve they usually completely remove the excess stomach material, while with the roux-en-Y they just bypass it, so it's still there, so the roux-en-Y is reversible while the sleeve is not, if there are complications or other health issues, like dumping syndrome. But these complications tend to be much less with the sleeve.