What's new

Welcome in the middle of rebuilding.

There's a scenario where the Jazz are a .500 team and make the play-in/playoffs. However, the team seems to be in asset-acquisition and churning mode, given the recent trade rumors. I could see the Jazz trading out THT, Sexton, Olynyk and/or Clarkson during the season if they receive solid offers.
What recent trade rumors have there been that indicate we are accumulating assets? Last ones I heard were that we were using them to get Herro or Holiday.

Plus TC competition will likely decide who we sell if we even outright sell guys. I think we will look to consolidate and upgrade instead, and only sell outright if its the best value deal.

Romeo Langford is an interesting signing. The conventional wisdom is that he is here to play for the Stars. He was a lottery selection by Ainge one pick after Tyler Herro was drafted. I'm thinking he is here to fill the void after the Jazz do some roster churning. Obviously DA like him.

If Dunn played like he did last season then he would definitely be a starter in the nba on a quite a few teams. He was fantastic.
18 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds on 54% from the field and 47% from three while playing great defense (1.6 steals) and not turning the ball over (2.2) is pretty damn amazing.
6 foot 3. 205 lbs (good size). 29 years old (prime).

Can he continue to play like that? No idea but that is definitely nba starting pg level play.

Your first sentence is 100% correct though. We are literally the only team in the nba with Dunn or THT as an option to start at pg since we are literally the only team in the nba with Dunn and THT on our roster lol.
shout out to Dunn's incredibly long arms. He almost doesn't look real.

This is good news in my opinion, even though I don't personally love Porzingis. I was getting the feeling that we were waiting for a super star to become available before we used any of our assets. I would prefer we try and be as good as possible while maintaining flexibility. I'd also love to see some concern for fit within whatever type of team they are working to build is going to look like.

The only other thing I would point out is that we have to be a little bit careful on playing time for our young guys to the point that we don't significantly delay/limit their development. I do think it's possible to develop and win, but it's a tricky balance.
Yes, many teams in the past have fallen into this trap. They get a superstar or couple of stars before they are otherwise ready, and then they are stuck (good but not good enough) because they can’t find (or can’t afford) the missing piece/pieces (usually defensive and depth).

Last edited:
What recent trade rumors have there been that indicate we are accumulating assets? Last ones I heard were that we were using them to get Herro or Holiday.

Plus TC competition will likely decide who we sell if we even outright sell guys. I think we will look to consolidate and upgrade instead, and only sell outright if its the best value deal.

Herro's situation and contract are similar to John Collins. He's an asset whom the Jazz could acquire at a reasonably low trade cost and keep as a trade chip when a bigger contract is needed. Not sure what the thinking was with Jrue.

There were rumors that Colin Sexton was made available for trade, and the Herro rumors normally involved THT and Olynyk, both of whom are expiring after this season.

Herro's situation and contract are similar to John Collins. He's an asset whom the Jazz could acquire at a reasonably low trade cost and keep as a trade chip when a bigger contract is needed. Not sure what the thinking was with Jrue.

There were rumors that Colin Sexton was made available for trade, and the Herro rumors normally involved THT and Olynyk.
The key part in your response is bolded. If you think "buyer" instead of "seller", it all makes sense.

Jrue, Porzingis, Herro... all upgrades. Two in a clear position of need.

I think last Sexton rumors clearly coming from Jazz actively shopping him are from June when we tried to trade up to get Anthony Black... so over 3 months ago. After that all I remember is the rumors that Bucks were supposedly interested.

Could be wrong on Sexton though.

The key part in your response is bolded. If you think "buyer" instead of "seller", it all makes sense.

Jrue, Porzingis, Herro... all upgrades. Two in a clear position of need.

I think last Sexton rumors clearly coming from Jazz actively shopping him are from June when we tried to trade up to get Anthony Black... so over 3 months ago. After that all I remember is the rumors that Bucks were supposedly interested.

Could be wrong on Sexton though.
You're not. The Jazz are excited to trade Sexton. Im sure they don't want to dump him though and will hope he can play very well the first half of this season

You're not. The Jazz are excited to trade Sexton. Im sure they don't want to dump him though and will hope he can play very well the first half of this season
You might end up being right about Sexton. If the reports are true and Keyonte is smashing it in the TC warranting solid rotation minutes or even a start.. then DA really gotta thin out the guards.

No reason to keep rotation quality guys on the bench losing value and cause an unnecessary roster crunch elsewhere. Clarkson is only trade eligible after January 7th, so gotta be one (or more) of the others.

so many teams are better than we at this point - My prediction we're 24th no PLAYOFFS Team this Year.
there are only two west teams in our range. WELCOME in the middle of rebuilding.

ATL - same
BOS - much better.
BRK - better.
CHA - worse
CHI - better
CLV - better
DAL - much better
DEN - much better
DET - worse
GS - much better
HOU - worse / same
IND - better
LAL - much better
LAC - better
MEM - much better
MIA - much better
MIN - better
MIL - much better
NO - better
NY - same
ORL - worse
OKC - better
PHI - much better
PHX - much better
POR - same
SAC - better
SA - worse / same
TOR - better
WAS - worse
Seriously underestimating this team based ostensibly on marquee players on rosters. But big names don’t guarantee success - not anymore, not in this league. Adam Silver has done a lot to clean up shenanigans and restore some integrity to the NBA.

We didn’t lose a step after unloading all the big names in the Westbrook dump. Coach had to get creative down the stretch in order to secure a lottery shot in the Wemby Sweepstakes. But still, we managed to beat good teams like Denver the last couple weeks of the season because we have a good coach and a very deep roster that’s only gotten deeper.

I expect the team to be true to their word and compete for a playoff spot this season. The fact that we were in the mix for a Holliday trade is an indication of that IMO. Our “by committee” backcourt is my only concern and the main reason I’d like to see some consolidation for a proven commodity combo guard. The reigning Sixth Man award winner would be a perfect place to start to put us over the top IMO.

The Jazz rebuild didn't begin with a full-on tank. It was more of a tank-lite.
You're not very familiar with homey, either, are you?

(When homey advocates for rookies and G-leaguers and says that they'll lead us to the promised land, I don't think there's any connection at all to either tanking or not tanking.)

We are lucky to witness the blossoming of THT
I sincerely hope this is true. I really like his size and strenght. But if it indeed is he'll move on next year with this being a contract year, unless he really likes Hardy and desires to stay. Probably better to showcase his abilities and trade him for something going forward.

One thing that concerned me last night was that Clarkson wasn't aggressively looking to shoot like he normally does. Maybe it's just pre-season, but he looked like he's a bit checked out.

One thing that concerned me last night was that Clarkson wasn't aggressively looking to shoot like he normally does. Maybe it's just pre-season, but he looked like he's a bit checked out.
He goes into chill mode. Ain't worried one bit.

It was the Sexton/THT experiment and he took a backseat. Had a few moments where he showed he still got it when his number is called.

In fact that one drive and layup he had looked faster than what I remember him being.

He goes into chill mode. Ain't worried one bit.
JC is really chill but I do wonder how he is going to take it when the kids Keyonte and Ochai are eventually named the starting backcourt. Keynote is 12 years younger than Clarkson so can't imagine that is going to sit well with him regardless of his chill nature.