What's new

What are your main sources of News?

Ron Mexico

Contributor
Some of these discussions got me wondering what people like to read for their news/information. Do you read or watch anything particular for it? I think the majority of Americans now get their news from facebook.

Personally I scan three papers online most days. The NYTimes, Al Jazeera and maybe a little less often but still regularly the Christian Science Monitor. I found those three to be pretty well rounded and all around good news reporting. I also read KSL even though I dislike it, it is convenient for local news and has the best classifieds. If I want local news and a decent perspective on it ill go to SLTrib but for whatever reason I dont read it as much as KSL. I read journals religiously but more for my work and not as much for anything else.

I dont really watch anything for news anymore. I used to watch the Daily Show until Jon Stewart left. Even though a South African (wife and family are South African) took over and I wanted to like him/the show I dont as much. I watch Jon Oliver sometimes but mostly just when my wife tells me to watch a funny clip. I used to listen to a lot of conservative talk radio, mostly because I found it entertaining but I rarely do now. I never watch the actual news on any station but I guess I see clips sometimes. I would prefer to read the news over watching it.

What do you read/watch? Maybe ill add a new one to my list if anyone has good ones.

I find myself getting a lot into https://www.drudgereport.com/ ever since I found out about it. Source of sources, includes articles from the following news outlets:

ABCNEWS
ACCESS HOLLYWOOD
ADWEEK
ANTI-WAR.COM
ATLANTIC
ATLANTIC WIRE
BBC
BILD
BILLBOARD
BLAZE
BOSTON GLOBE
BOSTON HERALD
BREITBART
BROADCASTING & CABLE
BUSINESS INSIDER
BUZZFEED
CBS NEWS
CBS NEWS LOCAL
C-SPAN
CHICAGO SUN-TIMES
CHICAGO TRIB
CHRISTIAN SCIENCE
CNBC
CNN
CNN POLITICAL TICKER
DAILY BEAST
DAILY CALLER
DAILY KOS
DAILY VARIETY
DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD
DER SPIEGEL
E!
ECONOMIST
EDITOR & PUBLISHER
EMIRATES 24/7
ENT WEEKLY
ESQUIRE
FINANCIAL TIMES
FORBES
FOXNEWS
FRANCE 24
FREE BEACON
FREE REPUBLIC
GAWKER
HOT AIR
HELLO!
HILL
H'WOOD ELSEWHERE
H'WOOD REPORTER
HUFFINGTON POST
HUMAN EVENTS
INFOWARS
INTERCEPT
INVEST BUS DAILY
JERUSALEM POST
LA DAILY NEWS
LA TIMES
LUCIANNE.COM
MEDIA WEEK
MEDIAITE
MOTHER JONES
NATION
NATIONAL ENQUIRER
NATIONAL JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW
NBC NEWS
NEW REPUBLIC
NEW YORK
NY DAILY NEWS
NY OBSERVER
NY POST
NY TIMES
NY TIMES WIRE
NEW YORKER
NEWSBUSTERS
NEWSMAX
NEWSWEEK
NKOREAN NEWS
PEOPLE
PHILLY INQUIRER
PHILLY DAILY NEWS
PJ MEDIA
POLITICO
RADAR
REAL CLEAR POLITICS
REASON
RED STATE
ROLL CALL
ROLLING STONE
SALON
SAN FRAN CHRON
SEATTLE TIMES
SKY NEWS
SLATE
SMOKING GUN
SPLASH
SYDNEY MORNING HERALD
TALKING POINTS MEMO
TIME MAG
TMZ
[UK] DAILY MAIL
[UK] DAILY MAIL FEED
[UK] DAILY MIRROR
[UK] DAILY RECORD
[UK] EVENING STANDARD
[UK] EXPRESS
[UK] GUARDIAN
[UK] INDEPENDENT
[UK] SUN
[UK] TELEGRAPH
US NEWS
USA TODAY
VANITY FAIR
VERGE
VILLAGE VOICE
VOX
WALL STREET JOURNAL
WALL STREET JOURNAL FEED
WASH EXAMINER
WASH POST
WASH TIMES
WEEKLY STANDARD
WORLD NET DAILY
X17

I started reading the Drudge report after they broke the Clinton sex scandal story. I stopped reading them regularly quite a few years ago since they tend to only post conservative friendly stories and tend to have an agenda. But overall I like reading it occasionally and get linked to it frequently.

NPR
CNN online
SLTrib online
My phone's news feed

I really dont have a go to news source, I kind of just read what pops up on twitter and google w/e it is for further information.

I'm a big fan of fark.com. Lots of news articles and the like and the community is great

Sent from my VS987 using JazzFanz mobile app

Not including sports, my main news sources are these, roughly in this order:
Google News (computer and Android)
News Republic (Android app)
Yahoo News website
Washington Post website
Fox News TV
Deseret News website
KSL radio
CNN website

Obviously the top three are compilers, which makes my sources much more diverse than they might otherwise seem.

NPR(includes CBC, BBC, & PRI)

Beyond that it depends on what I want to learn about. I try to understand other people, that means reading their news.

NPR(includes CBC, BBC, & PRI)

Beyond that it depends on what I want to learn about. I try to understand other people, that means reading their news.

I listen to NPR off and on depending on my mood for sports, talk radio, comedy or music while driving.

Not including sports, my main news sources are these, roughly in this order:
Google News (computer and Android)
News Republic (Android app)
Yahoo News website
Washington Post website
Fox News TV
Deseret News website
KSL radio
CNN website

Obviously the top three are compilers, which makes my sources much more diverse than they might otherwise seem.

I wouldn't peg you as a Fox News guy or do you mean the local fox news?

I wouldn't peg you as a Fox News guy or do you mean the local fox news?
No, I mean FNC. But not all of their shows. Can't stand Hannity, for example. I'll watch bits of their morning show while eating breakfast fairly frequently, and Megyn Kelly sometimes at night. Sometimes O'Reilly (Waters' world segment usually cracks me up), sometimes The Five. If the commentary gets too over the top right wing, then I just fast forward on my TiVo

All in all it balances out Yahoo news, which can often get very left wing. :)

I used to check a few news sites daily.
msn.com
Foxnews.com
Ksl.com
Aol.com

Since having kids my anxiety went through the roof reading the news, so now my news is talking to other people, JazzFanz, Facebook, but I will still occasionally check ksl.com.

It looks really flashy. Like a Tabloid's are here. But the articles look like it is a major just all-around normal paper in Australia.

lol sorry yeah that was a bit tongue in cheek, it's a little dumbed down .. best know for obvious play on words funny headlines !

i actually tend to like BBC for world news

I don't ever surf 'websites' really-- all of my news is from Twitter, and I click on the links after reading some blurb associated with the link.

There's tons of trash journalists across pretty much every massive paper, but there's a couple of good ones still left over from paper to paper. I find it way better to just follow the journalists you like on Twitter, and branch off from there.

- I like Bill Maher's panel format on his HBO show even tho I'm not really a fan of most of his takes
- I find myself reading a ton of the stuff that the Intercept publishes-- an online publication created by Glenn Greenwald of Ed Snowden fame. Their stuff is primarily investigative journalism and it generally makes for a good read (albeit generally depressing).
- their takes on the US generally blow, but the Guardian has two good writers that I closely follow

The Post is meh, the WSJ is meh, the Times are meh. Financial Times is trash, all Cable News is trash. Each will have maybe 1 good article for every 20-30 bad ones. There isn't a single paper or media source out there that I read in entirety. Twitter is the ****.