What's new

What can we get for Sexton in a trade?

Back to Sexton. I didn't know we'd be this ball movement oriented... and that is a tough fit for Collin. So it will be a struggle.

I still think he can beat his guy regularly and create... making the easy simple read and kicking to the corner or doing a Nash dribble to open up the floor for others to dive or spot up is how I see him having success. His spot up shooting should come back around. He isn't the worst defensive player in the league as he was advertised to be.

I would not look to move him... I'd plan on being patient. That said... if a good deal came to our doorstep then by all means. Hardy seems to have him fighting his nature a bit too much if Sexton isn't able to adapt.

This. Although the fact that it happens nearly every time he rebounds the ball tells me that is the gameplan. Anyone who has the ball get it up court as fast as possible seems to be what the coach wants. He isn't the only one who does this, he just seems the most clueless once he gets into the front court.
He's not clueless, he's just skill-less. I honestly think Gobert has more ball skills than Vanderbilt

Ideally you would have someone like a Lonzo ball next to Sexton, or some kind of star wing who has a large playmaking role so Sexton can do what he does best.
This but also ideally he improves his ability to create for others. Normally I wouldn't think this could happen but I watched JC do it. When JC struggled so bad last season it was when he was trying to score but also read the floor and create for others. He was a turnover machine and it hurt his offense as well. Now JC is not Magic Johnson... but he is making good reads and every now and again a pass that makes me do a double take... last year he struggled with some basic reads.

Honestly don't think Sexton is the biggest issue here although he wasn't good in the 2nd half last night.

Not having a legit backup PG for 35 yo injury prone Mike Conley is a problem.

The 2nd biggest issue is that Vando and Lauri are not a fit. Ideally you would want Vando near the basket but that only drags his defender onto Lauri since Vando doesn't need to be defended. They have been trying to play Vandy more on the perimeter but he's not a threat to take 3 pt shots. Vandy at the least really needs to find some kind of reliable mid range shot. Anyway I digress as this should probably be it's own topic.

This but also ideally he improves his ability to create for others. Normally I wouldn't think this could happen but I watched JC do it. When JC struggled so bad last season it was when he was trying to score but also read the floor and create for others. He was a turnover machine and it hurt his offense as well. Now JC is not Magic Johnson... but he is making good reads and every now and again a pass that makes me do a double take... last year he struggled with some basic reads.
JC just seemed selfish and enabled.

Sexton looks like he can't tie his shoes and chew bubblegum.

Honestly don't think Sexton is the biggest issue here although he wasn't good in the 2nd half last night.

The 2nd biggest issue is that Vando and Lauri are not a fit. Ideally you would want Vando near the basket but that only drags his defender onto Lauri since Vando doesn't need to be defended. They have been trying to play Vandy more on the perimeter but he's not a threat to take 3 pt shots. Vandy at the least really needs to find some kind of reliable mid range shot. Anyway I digress as this should probably be it's own topic.
I think overall I am seeing a huge value in the super solid game manager point guard. Tre Jones, Tyus Jones, Mike Conley, Monte Morris... guys that get guys organized... understand time and score... all seem to make a huge difference in their situations.

Vando and Lauri are a great fit. The issue is just that Vando kind of sucks.

I don’t think we need to be looking at trading Sexton. He’s 23, let him grow a bit here lol. We aren’t necessarily that concerned about winning right now anyway. Collin has speed and a body/athleticism that has a ton of potential. Don’t be giving up on the dude yet, let him go through rough spells. His mentality of being for “me” needs to change. Hopefully Hardy can get through to him.

Vando and Lauri are a great fit. The issue is just that Vando kind of sucks.
Yeah he stealth sucks. He has a lot of energy and gets a lot of rebounds and other hustle stats, and is somewhat bothersome on D, but that disguises the fact that he really doesn't contribute to winning. His defense is really sub-par and his offense is generally just being in the right place at the right time, not really skill-related. So he looks like he is contributing all while he is really just not that good and doesn't really help the team win.

JC just seemed selfish and enabled.

Sexton looks like he can't tie his shoes and chew bubblegum.
I disagree a little. Quin I think enabled him because he saw him struggle to oscillate between pass and shoot. There was like a 5-10 game span last year or longer where I though JC was trying to make the right play more than just shoot every effing time... and it went poorly.

Sexton is struggling with the mental aspects of the game for sure... I think he is trying so hard though. He may not get there but I think he will continue to try.

Yeah he stealth sucks. He has a lot of energy and gets a lot of rebounds and other hustle stats, and is somewhat bothersome on D, but that disguises the fact that he really doesn't contribute to winning. His defense is really sub-par and his offense is generally just being in the right place at the right time, not really skill-related. So he looks like he is contributing all while he is really just not that good and doesn't really help the team win.
He's an awesome 3rd or 4th big. I think if we had an actual SF/SG that was a defender Vando might be more effective creating some chaos. As a "clamps" guy he is super over-rated. We struggle so much on the defensive glass right now that he is kinda needed. I love KO but Zubac and Nurkic kinda giving him the bizness is a little worrisome. I think both guys are better suited as bench guys that play 25 minutes a night. I just worry if you go to Kessler the offense stalls without KO... if you went to a sharp shooter at SF and subbed out Vando I worry you'd never get enough rebounds. That combo needs something.

I don’t think we need to be looking at trading Sexton. He’s 23, let him grow a bit here lol. We aren’t necessarily that concerned about winning right now anyway. Collin has speed and a body/athleticism that has a ton of potential. Don’t be giving up on the dude yet, let him go through rough spells. His mentality of being for “me” needs to change. Hopefully Hardy can get through to him.
I don't think he is selfish... I think passing is the hardest skill/talent to develop in the NBA and he may not have the quick decision making to do it well.

I agree you don't give up. His role might be too big with Conley out for a team that is now all about winning. Just kind of have to live with the bad imo and hope it improves for now.

Seriously, I’m so over him and his brand of selfish basketball. He makes the ‘wrong play’ every time.

I’ll be happy if we can just get your run of the mill distributing backup PG for him.

At least he/she can run the offense and get everyone else involved.

I don't love Sexton, but I don't think he's selfish, he's just not a natural passer, and doesn't make quick decisions. He plays hard all the time, seems to have a great attitude, and is trying to learn all the time. I'll continue to be patient while this continues to be true.