What's new

What changes fix the slow start and how do we implement them from the beginning?

I'm so tired of falling behind 10, 15, 20 points and then trying to turn it on and play catchup. Yes there are swings and flows to every game, we go on a run, they go on a run blah blah...

But it seems like whoever puts their foot to the gas first dictates so much for the rest of the game. What tools do we use to climb back into games and what will get the guys to do that from the opening tip?

Is it defensive energy and running at every chance? If it is defensive energy, are our guys simply not capable of maintaining that level of focus and energy for 48 minutes?

Is it simply decision making? Preventing turnovers and not forcing the issue?

I donno.

It's balls. Straight up. The Jazz need to grow a pair. Even if your balls aren't as big as the defender thats in front of you, you need to believe that you have the bigger pair and more importantly make the defender believe that yours are bigger. This means a non intimidated mentality. Walking on to the court at the beginning of every game thinking that you are going to mess up the guy guarding you. The Jazz lack confidence (balls). Each Jazz team member needs to reach deep inside of their wife's purse and take back whats truly theirs. Their manhood.

What was Crocodile Dante's prior name on the board?

Seriously, I wish you could click on a posters name and see his profile. All the previous names used, all the alts he uses. Maybe the times he was expelled, banned, infracted or whatever. It would make life easier around here.

I think our guys are intimidated at the beginning of the game. so we never have good offensive flow in 1st quarter. As the game goes on, they start to figure things out and have good offensive flow. It is all about inexperience. We will get better.

/thread

Look at the pre-game routine. It is usually either too walk-through or too hardcore. And almost always too much coach involved.. too much talk.

Pre-game should be largely turned over to team captains to get the players ready with the coach more absent/silent. It's a DRAG to sit and listen to the coach say the same things that you've heard for days just minutes before the game. It's time to be loose. Even a bit silly. Be yourself, and get ready to ball.

Haven't read the thread.

We get off to a big deficit early because other teams are smart and don't take us for granted. Then they see that we can't beat them and they ease up. We come back a little and they decide they better get serious. Then we lose.