What's new

What changes fix the slow start and how do we implement them from the beginning?

If the team is lacking in big men, just run pick and roll with Burke and Favors over and over until they move to stop you. Stock and Malone would do this all game long relentlessly and sometimes NOBODY would even attempt to stop it.

Can't believe nobody has thought of this sooner. We just need a couple of players who are as good as John and Karl to run the pick and roll. Problem solved.

It's strange. It's almost like they still play for Corbin or have that mentality.

That is strange. I'd say our problems still have to do with Corbin, even though he's not around. Either that, or our team just wasn't that good last year, and fans have overestimated Corbin's influence on our win/loss record. Could be either one.

Can't believe nobody has thought of this sooner. We just need a couple of players who are as good as John and Karl to run the pick and roll. Problem solved.

Stock and Karl could do it even when the other team had a good front line. If you RTFP I qualified this strategy to be used against teams with WEAK front lines. Like Phoenix, for example. . .

I hear Blake and CP3 are not available, maybe we could try to not trade for them?

That is strange. I'd say our problems still have to do with Corbin, even though he's not around. Either that, or our team just wasn't that good last year, and fans have overestimated Corbin's influence on our win/loss record. Could be either one.

Or perhaps it is taking quite a bit of time for Quinn to teach the players the crap that they SHOULD have learned under Corbin. But he's had a couple of months, so they should be grizzled vets in his system by now. That is more than enough time to pin all of their development issues on Quinn.

We start off playing like robots just passing around the perimeter. Every team just needs to over play the passing lanes at the start of the game and we are screwed, just like the Bulls did. Passing like Quin wants only works with high intensity and driving. Not this pump fake pass, pump fake jab step pass bull **** that we do at the start.

How do we fix it? **** if I know.

This corresponds exactly with my post above.... the 'system' running... no physicality.

Too much deferring at the start of the game with overpassing while they feel out the defense. Some of this will be fixed as we play teams multiple times. Hayward needs to sack up and look to score earlier in the game. If the other team put a plan in place to stop him, THEN he can start deferring to the mismatches that the extra attention on him creates. Right now he is looking to get others involved before any move is made to stop him individually. If the team is lacking in big men, just run pick and roll with Burke and Favors over and over until they move to stop you. Stock and Malone would do this all game long relentlessly and sometimes NOBODY would even attempt to stop it. But mainly Hayward signed the big check the responsibility is his.

Favors also needs to exert himself. A lot more. He can't be the kind of guy who lets Anthony Davis come into his gym and **** all over him (and Kanter), without knocking him on his *** or doing something/anything else to get into his head. I think this is what Snyder refers to as "Juice". We need more from Favors, our biggest and most athletic player. Set the tone, big fella.

I vote to run the offense through Hayward and let him may more than 5-6 minutes if first

Take him out with 2 min left and bring back with 9 left in second

Or perhaps it is taking quite a bit of time for Quinn to teach the players the crap that they SHOULD have learned under Corbin. But he's had a couple of months, so they should be grizzled vets in his system by now. That is more than enough time to pin all of their development issues on Quinn.

I'm not pinning anything on Quin, but I have no doubt that you and your kind will be throwing him under the buss by the end of the season. Hide and watch.

Getting Hood back will be huge for us if he can be even somewhat productive... We also have to get back to playing with the 'nothing to lose' attitude and share the ball offensively which led to that amazing scoring balance we saw in the preseason.

Cut down on turnovers. When you don't have the ball, it's virtually impossible to score. And a bad pass sends the opponent running down the court, which usually ends up in a bucket or free throws.
This is the first thing we need to fix, confidence will never be good if you give away free opportunities. Cut down on turnovers and that helps the rest of our game.

To me, slow starts can be the result of a few things. Most of all, off the top of my head, I think of poor execution (shooting), sloppy play (passing, turnovers) and poor effort. The first just happens sometimes. The last two though are very correctable and if someone or multiple players are not carrying their weight in this regard, they need to be yanked, even if it's 2-4 minutes into the game. No one's off limits. Not even Hayward.

Proper play needs to be modeled and improper play should be called out. Immediately. None of this half assed ****. Expect greatness and all out effort from your players at all times. Nothing less. Thibs did this in year one in Chicago and they're better for it.

The slow starts exist because the team still doesn't have an identity. They tried to be a running team early on and in preseason, but that only works if you have a decent defense that can create turnovers and rebound. We are still the 3rd worst defensive team, and middle of the pack in rebounding. We get 13.3 fast break points a game currently and give up 13.1, no advantage.

To me, slow starts can be the result of a few things. Most of all, off the top of my head, I think of poor execution (shooting), sloppy play (passing, turnovers) and poor effort. The first just happens sometimes. The last two though are very correctable and if someone or multiple players are not carrying their weight in this regard, they need to be yanked, even if it's 2-4 minutes into the game. No one's off limits. Not even Hayward.

Proper play needs to be modeled and improper play should be called out. Immediately. None of this half assed ****. Expect greatness and all out effort from your players at all times. Nothing less. Thibs did this in year one in Chicago and they're better for it.

Yeah, the Chicago Bulls never half *** anything..... oh wait they nearly blew a huge lead to an inferior team just last night.

So has anyone mentioned how well the jazz do in the third quarter? Maybe the jazz could just spot the visiting team 16 points, stay in the locker room while Quin sears their souls with cutting words and his infamous death stare.