What's new

What changes to you foresee post-Covid? Both good and bad.

New and/or heavier drinkers. Though I think that’s also due to innovation and the explosion of the hard seltzer category. It’s good for those on the sales/distribution side but not so good for the folks that are drinking more heavily…

New and/or heavier drinkers. Though I think that’s also due to innovation and the explosion of the hard seltzer category. It’s good for those on the sales/distribution side but not so good for the folks that are drinking more heavily…

And here i am drinking less than any time in my life since i was like 16

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Not that I needed any encouragement but yeah. I already drank more than my fair share.

I actually don't drink beer anymore, though. Which is sad for me. I got diagnosed with gout and I've been more or less beef and beer free since like August 2021. There are a few other foods I am cautious about but I have almost completely excluded beef and beer from my diet as those are some of the highest purine containing foods. The two or three really bad gout attacks I've experienced are bar none the worst pain I've ever experienced and also just plain miserable because I can't go from one place to another without a series of intense pain episodes bad enough that I feel like I might pass out. It triggers an adrenaline response just to get up and go to the bathroom so that I can power through each excruciating step.

If there was absolutely nothing that could be done for it and I was just left to experience that pain more than 50% of the time I would choose death. I'm not even kind of kidding.

I'm on medicine that more or less keeps it under control and I have some other medicines if I do have a breakthrough which are like half as bad as the worst episodes I've experienced but still not something I want anything to do with. I have two medicines for breakthrough episodes. One works really well but causes massive diarrhea, the other only sort of works but doesn't really have any side effects. So if I feel a little twinge I take the non-diarrhea one, if it's full-on I suck it up and get the toilet paper ready.

Not that I needed any encouragement but yeah. I already drank more than my fair share.

I actually don't drink beer anymore, though. Which is sad for me. I got diagnosed with gout and I've been more or less beef and beer free since like August 2021. There are a few other foods I am cautious about but I have almost completely excluded beef and beer from my diet as those are some of the highest purine containing foods. The two or three really bad gout attacks I've experienced are bar none the worst pain I've ever experienced and also just plain miserable because I can't go from one place to another without a series of intense pain episodes bad enough that I feel like I might pass out. It triggers an adrenaline response just to get up and go to the bathroom so that I can power through each excruciating step.

If there was absolutely nothing that could be done for it and I was just left to experience that pain more than 50% of the time I would choose death. I'm not even kind of kidding.

I'm on medicine that more or less keeps it under control and I have some other medicines if I do have a breakthrough which are like half as bad as the worst episodes I've experienced but still not something I want anything to do with. I have two medicines for breakthrough episodes. One works really well but causes massive diarrhea, the other only sort of works but doesn't really have any side effects. So if I feel a little twinge I take the non-diarrhea one, if it's full-on I suck it up and get the toilet paper ready.
I've been in the same boat for a long time. I can drink beer now without attacks but rarely do.

Forget colchicine for flareups (or only take one, not many to the point of being under a ladder when you hear something splatter). Get Prednisone or Indocin. Also take concentrated black cherry supplements help keep things in check. That is my go-to if I sense any stiffness in my big toe.

I resent getting dressed in real clothes now. I work from home and live in loungewear. I sometimes avoid going places if I can't wear sweats. Which is another thing - it takes something pretty special to make me want to leave the house. I need social interaction less than I thought.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app

I resent getting dressed in real clothes now. I work from home and live in loungewear. I sometimes avoid going places if I can't wear sweats. Which is another thing - it takes something pretty special to make me want to leave the house. I need social interaction less than I thought.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app

Im picturing the world's worst episode of hoarders.

GET OFF MY STACK OF NEWSPAPERS!!!!

I see technology advancing faster due the virus. I also see art becoming more prevalent because of it.

I think mask are just going to be used more in general for regular sickness. Like it's flu season, some people are just going to wear mask cuz it's been normalized now and they are just the personality type that is more fearful of germs.

I think mask are just going to be used more in general for regular sickness. Like it's flu season, some people are just going to wear mask cuz it's been normalized now and they are just the personality type that is more fearful of germs.
This is not a terrible thing, imo. The flu season of 2020 and 2021 were greatly diminished from previous years due primarily to masks and hand-washing (hand-washing does affect flu, has no real impact on COVID, but a good habit nonetheless). I know if we are going somewhere crowded, even though they have lifted the mandate in CA, we still wear a mask, at least until we get to wherever we are going or are with friends. This will probably have some longer-lasting positive effects, imo.

This is not a terrible thing, imo. The flu season of 2020 and 2021 were greatly diminished from previous years due primarily to masks and hand-washing (hand-washing does affect flu, has no real impact on COVID, but a good habit nonetheless). I know if we are going somewhere crowded, even though they have lifted the mandate in CA, we still wear a mask, at least until we get to wherever we are going or are with friends. This will probably have some longer-lasting positive effects, imo.
I think that is right, I think they are here to stay, but I think after a few years they will become fairly rare, unless of course we keep getting variants that keep us in this cycle (hope not!).

I’m generally not in close contact to a lot of people. I went to the doctor the other day to get my meds renewed. I had a cold, so I wore a mask. Normally I wouldn’t have worn it. So I think you’re right. At least for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I’m generally not in close contact to a lot of people. I went to the doctor the other day to get my meds renewed. I had a cold, so I wore a mask. Normally I wouldn’t have worn it. So I think you’re right. At least for a while.

Are you still seeing people wanting you to mask up in their homes?

Our doctor offices are still requiring masks.

I work in hospitals now and they are still requiring masks.

My college still requires masks in the classroom, but not the hallways or larger common areas.

Anybody else notice that a lot of people are better looking/cuter with their masks on?

I know I am.