What's new

What do the Jazz need to do to get back to winning and bring home some rings?

TheGoldStandard

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
A lot of criticism over the teams handling of tanking (justifiably so).

What does everyone think needs to be done to have a viable way to win a chip, and hopefully more than one? Not just compete...

It seems to me that outside of getting super lucky with a perennial top-tier all-star, it won't be possible. And even then, keeping that player to build a dynasty may be a pipe dream. The San Antonio model is what they need, but it is tough to achieve.

A lot of players supposedly have no desire to play in Utah, and some I can understand due to culture, nightlife, etc. I'm sure there are a number of other destinations players also prefer to avoid. I think it may be difficult to attract many top players to come to Utah. Imagine if Seikaly would have been willing to go to Utah.

To me, the most viable solution would be to move the team to Las Vegas. I don't love the idea, as I hate Vegas, but I could see it being one of the most desirable locations for top players to go to. No state income tax, warm weather, insane night life, etc.

Close enough that many fans in Utah would likely still support them. I know many will hate this idea, but it feels like a great way to help bring in more high caliber players.

Interested in what others think it will take for the Jazz to get to the top and stay there.

Good resume how difficult it is to build a winning team in a small market. I follow the Grizz for 10 years and it was exactly the same. Need a bit of luck at draft, get few good players around and build chemistry. Minny have been very lucky with KAT and ANT. Hope we can follow the path. For Vegas, i do hope, it will not happening but can understand if NBA prefer Vegas to SLC.

Hit on draft picks and trades I'd say, as we won't be landing really much better free agents than Bogdanovic (teams not going cheap on young star anymore as it was with Boozer).

I'd expect/hope next year to be of a proper tanking from start to finish, going way developmental on Keyonte, Hendricks, Brice and our picks this year, as I suppose we either get Lauri under an extension or trade him for a big haul and go for at least two to three more years of rebuild

A lot of criticism over the teams handling of tanking (justifiably so).

What does everyone think needs to be done to have a viable way to win a chip, and hopefully more than one? Not just compete...

It seems to me that outside of getting super lucky with a perennial top-tier all-star, it won't be possible. And even then, keeping that player to build a dynasty may be a pipe dream. The San Antonio model is what they need, but it is tough to achieve.

A lot of players supposedly have no desire to play in Utah, and some I can understand due to culture, nightlife, etc. I'm sure there are a number of other destinations players also prefer to avoid. I think it may be difficult to attract many top players to come to Utah. Imagine if Seikaly would have been willing to go to Utah.

To me, the most viable solution would be to move the team to Las Vegas. I don't love the idea, as I hate Vegas, but I could see it being one of the most desirable locations for top players to go to. No state income tax, warm weather, insane night life, etc.

Close enough that many fans in Utah would likely still support them. I know many will hate this idea, but it feels like a great way to help bring in more high caliber players.

Interested in what others think it will take for the Jazz to get to the top and stay there.

Jazz are going to rebuild, starting with young talent. First they're going to draft with their own lottery picks. Then they hope to draft with other teams' lottery picks (e.g., Cavs, Lakers, Twolves). Then when the young players they draft are stellar enough, they will contemplate whether to keep those young players, or trade one or two of them for established star players.

In the end, they hope to have a well-balanced, well-coached team with three All Star-level players on it. It starts with drafting, but then adds trades and free agents. This is no different from what other championship teams have done.

Nuggets: Drafted Jokic, Murray and Porter Jr. Traded for Gordon. Signed KCP.
Bucks: Drafted Giannis and Middleton. Traded for Jrue. Signed Portis and Lopez(?).
Warriors: Drafted Steph, Klay and Draymond. Traded for Bogut. Signed Iguodala.

Jazz needs to draft some star-caliber players.

We're flush with picks. I'm confident we'll use some of them to trade for some talent that will join the team along with a decent player or two we sign in FA. I expect us to sign one solid player from FA this season and one next (by solid I mean they'll be top-5 players on our team). We've done what it takes to be able to overpay.

The draft last season was solid and although George has been inconsistent Taylor has done well and Brice has shown flashes of being a solid shooter off the bench.

Point is the front office is pretty good at drafting players.

Jazz probably need to start with a top 5 player which they will likely need to draft.

When is last time a championship team did not have a top 5 guy? The 2004 Pistons?

The Warriors didn't have a top 5 guy until they won their championship. Leonard wasn't top 5 until he won a championship. Even though he won a MVP, most people didn't consider Jokic a REAL top 5 until he won a championship.

"Top 5" generally isn't an accurate measuement.

The Warriors didn't have a top 5 guy until they won their championship. Leonard wasn't top 5 until he won a championship. Even though he won a MVP, most people didn't consider Jokic a REAL top 5 until he won a championship.

"Top 5" generally isn't an accurate measuement.
Kawhi was 3rd in MVP voting in 2017 (injured in 18). I agree top 5 is not an accurate measure, but you need a top tier player that can take over games. Prime Kawhi definitely fits the mold.

What do the Jazz need to win games? Get better players and it usually solves itself. Any talk about moving t game team just makes you an internet troll.