What's new

What do the Jazz need to do to get back to winning and bring home some rings?

What do the Jazz need to win games? Get better players and it usually solves itself. Any talk about moving t game team just makes you an internet troll.
I just want to see them win. You'd rather die without seeing them win a few chips or knowing (hypothetically) if they moved to LV they would win multiple chips?

I'm not saying I want them to move or that they should. I am saying that they would be a much more desireable FA destination if they were in LV, which would increase their odds of winning titles expontentially.

I just want to see them win. You'd rather die without seeing them win a few chips or knowing (hypothetically) if they moved to LV they would win multiple chips?

I'm not saying I want them to move or that they should. I am saying that they would be a much more desireable FA destination if they were in LV, which would increase their odds of winning titles expontentially.
If they move they could be the Las Vegas Jazz, not the Utah Jazz, how hard that might be to comprehend I don't know.

I guess the lasvegasjazz domain might be available, so there's possibility to open some online board where you'd discuss that with people that actually could be up to entertain this idea.

Of course. What kind of question is that? Why don't you go watch the Nuggets win instead? They're also a team, just cheer for them.

The Warriors didn't have a top 5 guy until they won their championship. Leonard wasn't top 5 until he won a championship. Even though he won a MVP, most people didn't consider Jokic a REAL top 5 until he won a championship.

"Top 5" generally isn't an accurate measuement.
You say the warriors didn't have a top 5 guy until they won their championship and Leonard wasn't top 5 until he won a chip.
So what you are saying is that the warriors and spurs both had top 5 guys when they won their championships?

MVP winners are definitely top 5. Every MVP winner every year. You could even argue MVP winners are top 1 players.
Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

My mom needs to make Danny Ainge her bitch. And, Ryan Smith needs to quit dressing like a 17 year old trying to impress the cool kids. Let's start there.
This nearly made me spit out my coffee I laughed so hard!
We need luck and a bunch of it. With all the picks we own there is a chance we hit and that luck comes to fruition.

You say the warriors didn't have a top 5 guy until they won their championship and Leonard wasn't top 5 until he won a chip.
So what you are saying is that the warriors and spurs both had top 5 guys when they won their championships?

MVP winners are definitely top 5. Every MVP winner every year. You could even argue MVP winners are top 1 players.
Was Russell Westbrook a "top 5 guy" who could win a championship? How about Leonard every year AFTER Toronto? All I'm saying is that top 5 "Championship" guys are a tailing indicator, not a leading one. And they are generally different at the end of the season than at the beginning. And, as Phoenix is now seeing, it is a difficult thing to chase. Just build the best damn team you can and make good decisions and pray for luck.

Was Russell Westbrook a "top 5 guy" who could win a championship? How about Leonard every year AFTER Toronto? All I'm saying is that top 5 "Championship" guys are a tailing indicator, not a leading one. And they are generally different at the end of the season than at the beginning. And, as Phoenix is now seeing, it is a difficult thing to chase. Just build the best damn team you can and make good decisions and pray for luck.
On paper, a team comprised of 5 guys with an overall offense of 110 and defense of 100 should be able to be a team with a 105 offense and 100 defense even if that team has a prime Lebron (face of the league type player). However, as we have all seen time and time again, the "big" stars get key calls (and no-calls when they defend) going their way more likely thank not. I've seen it in playoffs year after year, watching many games that I could not care who wins or loses.

In close games it only takes a few calls to change momentum. The league is a business, and I have no doubt they want certain teams to win. Stern never directly said it to officials, but if Donaghy is believed, he said things many times to communicate his desires.

The odds are stacked against small market teams. The Jazz could have beat the Bulls, but they would have needed to play at a higher level to combat Jordan bias. For the Jazz to have the best chance to win, they need that "guy".

Yes Westbrook was. So was kawhi when he was a top 5 player.

The point is that almost all championship teams have an all time great on their team (top 5 level player or whatever) and it's way easier to win a chip with a top 5 guy than without one. Not impossible though.

Kawhi wasn't even close to a top 5 player when the Spurs won in 2014.

A few national publications (SI, Bleacher that I am aware of) had Parker in the top 5, and many had Duncan declining but most still had him top 10-15. Ginobili in the 20s for sure. And Kawhi was still up and coming but damn good.

Parker was damn good around that time. I'd put him top 10 myself for sure but many said top 5.

Agreed. He was only the finals MVP playing with an all time great (Duncan), all star Tony Parker, possibly the best 6th man of all time (ginobli) and the best coach of all time.

I am cool with going that route too. Seems more likely that we win a chip with a top 5 player like most teams do though.

This thread is about what the jazz need to do to win a chip. Imo the easiest and most obvious answer is get an MVP level player on the roster.

A lot of criticism over the teams handling of tanking (justifiably so).

What does everyone think needs to be done to have a viable way to win a chip, and hopefully more than one? Not just compete...

It seems to me that outside of getting super lucky with a perennial top-tier all-star, it won't be possible. And even then, keeping that player to build a dynasty may be a pipe dream. The San Antonio model is what they need, but it is tough to achieve.

A lot of players supposedly have no desire to play in Utah, and some I can understand due to culture, nightlife, etc. I'm sure there are a number of other destinations players also prefer to avoid. I think it may be difficult to attract many top players to come to Utah. Imagine if Seikaly would have been willing to go to Utah.

To me, the most viable solution would be to move the team to Las Vegas. I don't love the idea, as I hate Vegas, but I could see it being one of the most desirable locations for top players to go to. No state income tax, warm weather, insane night life, etc.

Close enough that many fans in Utah would likely still support them. I know many will hate this idea, but it feels like a great way to help bring in more high caliber players.

Interested in what others think it will take for the Jazz to get to the top and stay there.
Fire the FO and hire me.