What's new

What does Dante get in Free Agency?

I could see a "sunk cost" argument when it comes to Dante.

That coupled with the question that if you can potentially use the extra cap space along with other expired deals to potentially pick up that "third guy" - do you do it?

Did you read where he said "seem to" ? ie going by all available indications. Everyone just chill out and wait & see.

Promise ??

Yup. If the Jazz overpay Dante like they did Burks I will quit being a fan and look for another team, hopefully the one they end up trading the other Aussie to.

Yup. If the Jazz overpay Dante like they did Burks I will quit being a fan and look for another team, hopefully the one they end up trading the other Aussie to.

I look forward to you trolling everybody with this year after year for the next 20 years.

Let's get beers next time I'm in Utah, k?

When you think that Stockton agreed to play for paltry 14mil/6 years back in 1990 and now we are talking about a scrub ( albeit with potential) getting 4/40 as a bargain it is truly sad where the NBA went with these salaries. Kids don't even need to be good to get paid for life... hey I have size and quick first step, please pay me!

" Stockton's is a six-year contract believed to be worth as much as $14 million.
"This contract is far beyond my wildest dreams," Stockton said. "If you go back to when I first started playing, I could have never imagined that it would come to this. I know that I am fortunate to be playing in the league at this time."
And what was Malone making? You can't compare NBA salaries, NFL salaries, MLB salaries, PGA payouts, etc. from the 80's and 90's to today. Let's all wax nostalgic and remember when gas was under $1.00/gallon, or a can of soda at 7-11 cost 25 cents.

The fact of the matter is the cap has skyrocketed to $100M plus and the league has a salary floor. Teams pay out ~$90M in salaries regardless. If I'm a GM, I look at Dante's potential; I look at what I saw him do in the summer league. I see my committed salaries are way under the floor and say, "what the hell. I'm going to have a payroll of ~$90M whether I like it or not. So signing a prospect like Dante costs me absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
Context does matter. Exum sucks. Any high $ contract he signs will be a cap killer to any team and should be grounds for a GM firing. Anyone saying he should be locked in at $40/4 isn't worth talking to. I will personally quit rooting for the Jazz and become a Lakers fan if they do anything close to that stupid.
Promises, promises.

And what was Malone making? You can't compare NBA salaries, NFL salaries, MLB salaries, PGA payouts, etc. from the 80's and 90's to today. Let's all wax nostalgic and remember when gas was under $1.00/gallon, or a can of soda at 7-11 cost 25 cents.

The fact of the matter is the cap has skyrocketed to $100M plus and the league has a salary floor. Teams pay out salaries regardless. If I'm a GM, I look at Dante's potential; I look at what I saw him do in the summer league. I see my committed salaries are $50-$80M (or whatever) and say, "what the hell. I'm going to have a payroll of ~$90M (the salary floor) whether I like it or not. So signing a prospect like Dante costs me absolutely nothing.

Yep. Basketball has become more popular, and increased in value exponentially over the last twenty years. According to Forbes, every team is now worth over a $billion$. So yes, Stockton was worth more, and could have demanded more, he just didn't care, which was good for the team. I feel bad for the guys that played in the 60s and 70s and got paid basically nothing comparatively. The average salary in 1970 was $35k ($230k adjusted for inflation using CPI calculator).

Wilt made $250k a year ($1.7M adjusted for inflation). Magic made $3M a year ($5M adjusted for inflation). Kareem averaged $3M, and these guys were the superstars of their respective eras.

So yes, it is a bit crazy that Burks makes more than some of the best ever, and Dante will too. If you want to "fix" the problem, stop purchasing gear, going to the games, etc. If you keep supporting the NBA, and as it continues to grow in popularity across the world, the $$$ will keep increasing. Especially as interest in the NFL has started to wane. The NBA has the opportunity to pick up even more market share.

I like Dante, and hope the Jazz keep him. I think a double D backcourt would be fun to watch. Dante has a special set of skills, that if he can stay healthy, would be hard to pick up on the market. Plus he moves his neck back and forth like a chicken ostrich.

Yep. Basketball has become more popular, and increased in value exponentially over the last twenty years. According to Forbes, every team is now worth over a $billion$. So yes, Stockton was worth more, and could have demanded more, he just didn't care, which was good for the team. I feel bad for the guys that played in the 60s and 70s and got paid basically nothing comparatively. The average salary in 1970 was $35k ($230k adjusted for inflation using CPI calculator).

Wilt made $250k a year ($1.7M adjusted for inflation). Magic made $3M a year ($5M adjusted for inflation). Kareem averaged $3M, and these guys were the superstars of their respective eras.

So yes, it is a bit crazy that Burks makes more than some of the best ever, and Dante will too. If you want to "fix" the problem, stop purchasing gear, going to the games, etc. If you keep supporting the NBA, and as it continues to grow in popularity across the world, the $$$ will keep increasing. Especially as interest in the NFL has started to wane. The NBA has the opportunity to pick up even more market share.

I like Dante, and hope the Jazz keep him. I think a double D backcourt would be fun to watch. Dante has a special set of skills, that if he can stay healthy, would be hard to pick up on the market. Plus he moves his neck back and forth like a chicken ostrich.

Lol.

I hope we wouldn't give Exum 10 mill a year for 4 years. We already did that mistake and he rinds the pine every game

Reactions: MVP
It’s a lot of right place right time for these guys .. I mean deng is getting 80 mil for doing nothing
There were an awful lot of people on this board saying Hayward was worth $8-$10M and then not wanting Utah to match Charlotte's offer. Despite the claim of not a lot of cap space available, there will be several teams that can afford to give Dante a very good offer. What we've seen is GM's LOVE to spend money. And after the big stars return to their own teams, or get scooped up by the Lakers or Clippers, the remaining FA's will be very attractive. Owners have to convince their fans they're doing SOMETHING. That's why I anticipate Hood getting a very good offer. And I think Favs gets paid big to return to Georgia and play for the Hawks. Dante doesn't suck as some claim. He had a decent rookie year, starting in 41 games, IIRC. Last season was a recovery year. Someone is going to take a flyer on him.

So maybe it's not $10m, maybe it's $8m - not a lot of difference IMO. I don't think Lindsey hesitates to match at either level. When does the price get too high? Not sure.

That coupled with the question that if you can potentially use the extra cap space along with other expired deals to potentially pick up that "third guy" - do you do it?

There are so many bad deals out there that I think I’m now if the kind that I want to retain everyone. There is such little money out there that Exum and Favors aren’t going to command anything too pricey. So my mindset is keep them all. We’ll be super deep and have a ton of guys on really good deals (which other teams won’t have) who are very tradeable should the time come up for a trade. If the time doesn’t arise, we have a super deep, talented team that should be better next year and be able to withstand injuries as well.

There were an awful lot of people on this board saying Hayward was worth $8-$10M and then not wanting Utah to match Charlotte's offer. Despite the claim of not a lot of cap space available, there will be several teams that can afford to give Dante a very good offer. What we've seen is GM's LOVE to spend money. And after the big stars return to their own teams, or get scooped up by the Lakers or Clippers, the remaining FA's will be very attractive. Owners have to convince their fans they're doing SOMETHING. That's why I anticipate Hood getting a very good offer. And I think Favs gets paid big to return to Georgia and play for the Hawks. Dante doesn't suck as some claim. He had a decent rookie year, starting in 41 games, IIRC. Last season was a recovery year. Someone is going to take a flyer on him.

You’re acting as if Exum is the only free agent out there and the few teams that have money will be clamoring for him.

That’s not the case.

On the new salt city hoops pod Dan Clayton mentioned that there were teams that enquired about Dante leading up to the deadline. He expects those same teams to have interest in him as a
RFA.

On the new salt city hoops pod Dan Clayton mentioned that there were teams that enquired about Dante leading up to the deadline. He expects those same teams to have interest in him as a
RFA.

Sure there may be interest but there's very limited number of teams with cap space to sign an offer sheet that makes sense.

You can get the "third guy" even if you sign Dante in FA or using expirings. I think he can legitimately help the team and I think he will get a team-friendly deal (again, related to ability, not production so far) so I guess that's why the sunk cost doesn't make sense from my view point.

You’re acting as if Exum is the only free agent out there and the few teams that have money will be clamoring for him.

That’s not the case.
Not at all. But the FA class is pretty weak once the stars come off the board. Dante is young enough to be a good piece for a rebuilding team and would be cheap. He's potentially high reward at a moderate price.

I think people are really underestimating the Jazz's opinion of Exum. It seems like they are still really high on him, and I expect some people are going to be pretty shocked with what he ends up getting. I will honestly be kind of surprised if it's less than 9-10 per for at least 3 years. If I had to guess, I think he will end up with 11/12mil a year for 3 or 4 years. I won't be shocked if it ends up higher, either.

i never was impressed with exum. I made tons of posts against drafting him. I still try to think about his upsides, but I think the kid is going right down the greg oden path. I think he's not going to get much of an offer in the off-season. I think the jazz bring him back cheap and try to resurrect the project.

being injury prone is a real thing and exum is very much injury prone.

No, he's not. He doesn't have a degenerative condition like Oden. He had the ACL injury, but the shoulder was due to a player jumping on him. He had a pretty good rookie season - 41 games started, pretty good defensive player, Jazz finished on a nice roll to end the year. Sure he's struggled shooting the 3, but the SL showed he was 100% back from the ACL and had improved his shooting. Bottom line is he's a former top-5 pick who still has flashed a ton of potential. I think the only ones who think he's a bust are certain posters on this board.

I think people are really underestimating the Jazz's opinion of Exum. It seems like they are still really high on him, and I expect some people are going to be pretty shocked with what he ends up getting. I will honestly be kind of surprised if it's less than 9-10 per for at least 3 years. If I had to guess, I think he will end up with 11/12mil a year for 3 or 4 years. I won't be shocked if it ends up higher, either.
If he gets an offer sheet, I'd expect it to be 3 yrs + a player option for the 4th. That let's him recoup some money as a 7 yr player if he busts out.