What's new

What if we had traded for Markkanen without giving up Mitchell?

Just purely playing what if, not pretending there was a snowball's chance in my pants of actually making the trade, then yes adding Lauri to the Jazz's previous iteration would have yielded a championship contender. The issue would remain though how Rudy and Mitchell could play together, would Lauri have made the same jump in performance he did this year regardless, and would Mitchell have crapped out on the team anyway. Those are tough questions to answer. I bet we would have been better, and maybe won more games, and maybe an extra playoff series, but I doubt we could have overcome all this that was already brewing and won the ring.
No I meant Rudy already traded but Mitchell not.. could we have used the picks from he Rudy’s trade to get Markkanen.

I dont understand how anybody watched the past 2 years and thinks DM was going to magically start giving 100% in this town again. Thoroughly enjoyed his early years, but the guy needed new scenery. Trade was a win, win. DM was never going to lead this team anywhere. Its just another first round exit while he keeps Lauri from taking another step.

Sent from my SM-G996U using JazzFanz mobile app

I dont understand how anybody watched the past 2 years and thinks DM was going to magically start giving 100% in this town again. Thoroughly enjoyed his early years, but the guy needed new scenery. Trade was a win, win. DM was never going to lead this team anywhere. Its just another first round exit while he keeps Lauri from taking another step.

Sent from my SM-G996U using JazzFanz mobile app
Well he wasn’t happy with Rudy right? So we traded him out.. then use the pick to grab Markkanen.

How would Lauri + Donovan duo rank in the West currently?
Probably meh unless we had really good defenders and players around them. But again Mitchell wasn't staying and had quit trying. The Mitchell we see now isn't who was here or would be here. You also have have to consider Lauri probably wouldn't have developed as much with Mitchell dominating the ball.

Just purely playing what if, not pretending there was a snowball's chance in my pants of actually making the trade, then yes adding Lauri to the Jazz's previous iteration would have yielded a championship contender. The issue would remain though how Rudy and Mitchell could play together, would Lauri have made the same jump in performance he did this year regardless, and would Mitchell have crapped out on the team anyway. Those are tough questions to answer. I bet we would have been better, and maybe won more games, and maybe an extra playoff series, but I doubt we could have overcome all this that was already brewing and won the ring.
In the scenario presented we dont have rudy fwiw. We still make the rudy trade iirc.

Well he wasn’t happy with Rudy right? So we traded him out.. then use the pick to grab Markkanen.
He wasn't happy with Utah as a place/community. The backlash against the civil rights movement after Floyd's death put a bad taste in his mouth.

In the scenario presented we dont have rudy fwiw. We still make the rudy trade iirc.
Eh I just took it to it's extreme. It was all equally likely anyway.

We probably a contender with this team. Winning? if Don try to play the savior at money time as he usually do ( with not much success), probably not .